Duck and goose shooting on lough neagh

Big Al

It was good that you managed to get back on the lough.

I must admit to having missed your brilliant videos but so pleased that normal service is now resumed.

Yet another cracking watch as always.

Thanks for posting and looking forward to your next outing.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

1 hour ago, holloway said:

Thanks for posting a good watch as ever.

36 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

It was good that you managed to get back on the lough.

I must admit to having missed you brilliant videos but so pleased that normal service is now resumed.

Yet another cracking watch as always.

Thanks for posting and looking forward to your next outing.

OB

Thanks men. I was getting a bit of cabin fever knowing that the season had started but I couldn't get out! 

I had found feeding geese on meadows, but didn't risk a shot as I knew they were roosting on the open lough.

Great to be back at it!

Good to have you back posting your usual exciting vids.

Have been watching the developing story about the Lough with some alarm it's good to see it's subsiding ,the wind and temperatures probably help.

The shotcam is a nice touch and shows both the good and bad which makes me feel much better seeing you miss sometimes.

Great to have you back and may your season continue as it's started.

48 minutes ago, greylag said:

Good to have you back posting your usual exciting vids.

Have been watching the developing story about the Lough with some alarm it's good to see it's subsiding ,the wind and temperatures probably help.

The shotcam is a nice touch and shows both the good and bad which makes me feel much better seeing you miss sometimes.

Great to have you back and may your season continue as it's started.

Thanks greylag  - the Shotkam never lies!

Brilliant , and we are finally back in the purpose built hide and what a cracking start to your new season .

We seem to be living in the era where something that can put our sport in doubt is now happening on a yearly basis , hopefully we are over the worst of the corvid crisis , but who knows ? , then for the last couple of years we had the bird flu to contend with , as last year on our place we did have a outbreak with Defra being called in and a few 100 Pheasants were lost , at the moment on the shoot every thing is fine , fingers crossed, we also get some bad cases of Green Algee on our lake and on some of the inland Broads , we did try one year putting long sausage like nets filled up with straw on our lake but I can't tell yer weather it worked or not . 

Now we don't go long before we get some extreme weather with only a week ago we had nearly a months rainfall in a day , we rely on the odd flooded marsh for some decent wildfowling but now it would be easier to say what marsh isn't flooded rather than what ones are , the pump have been working day and night and the dykes are now down a fair bit but the splashes on the marshes will be there for the rest of the Winter and by all accounts we haven't got the number of duck that we would now be expecting , although this morning I did see two big skeins of Pinkfeet come over me which made a nice start to the day , mind you they are perfectly safe on a Sunday as we can't shoot wildfowl Sundays in our county .

Good luck Big Al for trouble free season    MM

27 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Brilliant , and we are finally back in the purpose built hide and what a cracking start to your new season .

We seem to be living in the era where something that can put our sport in doubt is now happening on a yearly basis , hopefully we are over the worst of the corvid crisis , but who knows ? , then for the last couple of years we had the bird flu to contend with , as last year on our place we did have a outbreak with Defra being called in and a few 100 Pheasants were lost , at the moment on the shoot every thing is fine , fingers crossed, we also get some bad cases of Green Algee on our lake and on some of the inland Broads , we did try one year putting long sausage like nets filled up with straw on our lake but I can't tell yer weather it worked or not . 

Now we don't go long before we get some extreme weather with only a week ago we had nearly a months rainfall in a day , we rely on the odd flooded marsh for some decent wildfowling but now it would be easier to say what marsh isn't flooded rather than what ones are , the pump have been working day and night and the dykes are now down a fair bit but the splashes on the marshes will be there for the rest of the Winter and by all accounts we haven't got the number of duck that we would now be expecting , although this morning I did see two big skeins of Pinkfeet come over me which made a nice start to the day , mind you they are perfectly safe on a Sunday as we can't shoot wildfowl Sundays in our county .

Good luck Big Al for trouble free season    MM

I agree - I wonder how long our pastime has left. I think I will get my time out of it - I'm late 50s but can see it it being killed off. The world has gone mad and the lunatics are gaining control of the asylum.

I sometimes think I was born 50 years too late.

I hope you survive too much trauma in your season and we can keep doing what we love.

45 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Top class Big Al that algae been worrying on the lough 

It certainly is.  I think NI Water are trying to scapegoat farmers and / or Earl of Shaftesbury. They need to look long and hard at their own actions too .......

37 minutes ago, oowee said:

What a great morning. Decent weather good sport and a cracking spot. Love it. 

A great morning for sure. They aren't all like that, but it's great when it all converges nicely. 

31 minutes ago, Big Al said:

It certainly is.  I think NI Water are trying to scapegoat farmers and / or Earl of Shaftesbury. They need to look long and hard at their own actions too .......

A great morning for sure. They aren't all like that, but it's great when it all converges nicely. 

NI water have known about the algae for years it was only this summer when there was a outcry from the public and media they have acknowledged it Big Al it will probably get worse once we get into the summer again