Using Trap gun for sporting

Gerry78

3 hours ago, Westley said:

Just stick 2 x 1/4 chokes in and shoot the damned thing  !  I do believe you are 'overthinking'  it, and creating problems that are not there. A few year ago ,when I ran a shooting ground, we had an old Miroku 3800 trap gun, used as a 'club' gun. It was choked 3/4 and Full. Occasionally people would use it on the Compak Sporting layout, I told them it had been bored out to skeet and 1/4 chokes. They went out and quite happily shot the gun, and more often than not, shot it well !  As was told to me, many years ago, " You have thrombosis of the stock...........its the CLOT behind it "  !   🙄

👍👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/11/2023 at 18:13, Gordon R said:

I have used trap guns for sporting and skeet since about 1988. Any misses are down to lack of concentration, not the gun. In the North West, many top shooters have used trap guns - Jim Stafford, Kevin Mayor, Graham Stirzaker.

I would also like to add to this by saying that a trap stock would be an enhancement for most lady shots as most lasses have longer necks than chaps.I shot with a couple of grade 5 mk38s for years and have to say they are a perfectly  balanced gun.98% of these were shot on sporting layouts.

Edited by 100milesaway
Addition

I used one of my trap guns on our little syndicate at the weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed it. 
It was the first time I’d done so, so was very selective, and only used trap loads, but it was very effective. 
I often use it in the hide also; not as nippy as other guns for pigeon, but devastating on crows. Great fun. 
I may take it on beaters day at the seasons end; we get some very high birds. 

I recently bought a  Classic Doubles 'Trap Pac' Trap gun. It's basically a Winchester 101, but it came with 2 sets of woodwork. 1 Sporting and 1 Trap. When I got the gun the Trap woodwork had never been out of it's box. I know the guns history, which is one reason that I bought it. After shooting it a few times with the Sporting stock and forend, I tried the Trap stock. I left the Sporting forend on the gun and the chokes remained 1/4 & 1/4. My scores improved when using the Trap stock, so the stock stays on the gun. The Trap stock is of a Monte Carlo configuration.  I just shoot it the only way I know how and make no allowance for the slightly higher comb.

On 05/12/2023 at 12:25, Scully said:

I used one of my trap guns on our little syndicate at the weekend, and thoroughly enjoyed it. 
It was the first time I’d done so, so was very selective, and only used trap loads, but it was very effective. 
I often use it in the hide also; not as nippy as other guns for pigeon, but devastating on crows. Great fun. 
I may take it on beaters day at the seasons end; we get some very high birds. 

Agreed Scully I’ve been shooting the crows 🐦 with my mk38 trap your right wee bit more cumbersome in the hide but once you’re on the crows it’s very effective 👍

On 05/12/2023 at 12:19, martinj said:

A mate of mine has been using a MK38 trap gun for sporting for many years, he was a AA at his peak

It’s more common than I first thought I’ve seen other shooters using trap guns on the sporting layout now that I’ve been getting down to the clay club more regularly 👍👍

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gerry, I have a Browning XSH which is basically a trap dimension sporting gun...it shots a bit higher than normal but that's the way I like it..and although I'm never going to win any competitions it fills me smiles all day long..and of course shooting high you get to keep the clay in view ..so I d say use your MK you'll soon get used to it...😉

20200222_145059.jpg

DSC_0656~2.NEF

On 01/01/2024 at 08:32, gamekeeper1960 said:

Hi Gerry, I have a Browning XSH which is basically a trap dimension sporting gun...it shots a bit higher than normal but that's the way I like it..and although I'm never going to win any competitions it fills me smiles all day long..and of course shooting high you get to keep the clay in view ..so I d say use your MK you'll soon get used to it...😉

20200222_145059.jpg

DSC_0656~2.NEF 1.32 MB · 3 downloads

Gamekeeper thank you I think I was worrying for nothing with me shooting trap then taking up sporting I was a bit concerned but shouldn’t have worried my sporting scores aren’t Olympic but I’m doing fine with mk38 trap I’ve just put more open chokes in the gun On a side note one of the lads who shots high scores on sporting is actually using a browning pro sport I’ve had a look at it and to be honest it’s built more like a trap gun he thinks the same as some of the lads on the forum have pointed out Just go and shoot the gun you’re using thanks for the reply 👍👍👍

4 hours ago, Westley said:

I am shooting ok with the Trap stock on my Classic Doubles to date. I will never make AA, but I have managed Green Flag  !  😉

Well done, there aren't many of us that reach that sort of standard...I definitely not one of them either..but as long as you're loving the experience 😉...