Using Trap gun for sporting

Gerry78

I’m sure this has been debated before I love shooting DTL with my new MK38 trap multichoke gun But recently I’ve been thinking of taking up sporting as another hobby My question being does anyone on the forum use a trap model for sporting I do have a silver pigeon one sporter but Compared to the mk38 it doesn’t compare for me in fit etc And if I can get away with it I’d rather just use the one gun for Both 

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i cannot see any reason to do DTL and sporting with your MK38 just change chokes if multi choke, most of those in my early clay club only used 1 shotgun, there were a few with barrel sets , DTL and Sporter, but most had 1 shotgun for DTL, Sporter and Skeet

Thank you it’s just the trap gun fits like a glove I know they shoot 70/30 bit higher apparently than sporters so hopefully get down to the sport layout during the week 

Just now, Gerry78 said:

Thank you it’s just the trap gun fits like a glove I know they shoot 70/30 bit higher apparently than sporters so hopefully get down to the sport layout during the week 

hello, i am going back to the 1980s, one of the clubs best shot used a side by side for all clays

8 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

I’m sure this has been debated before I love shooting DTL with my new MK38 trap multichoke gun But recently I’ve been thinking of taking up sporting as another hobby My question being does anyone on the forum use a trap model for sporting I do have a silver pigeon one sporter but Compared to the mk38 it doesn’t compare for me in fit etc And if I can get away with it I’d rather just use the one gun for Both 

If it's the new 38 it should have the adjustable comb. If there is room, just lower the comb a tad so it shoots a bit flatter.  I know of several people that only use one gun for both disciplines. I suppose they just get used to different sight pictures.

I often use a Winchester 8500 trap gun for sporting, and had great fun with it up at Westlands a week ago. Smokes the bolting bunnies, one of which is now a ‘looping’ rabbit! 🙂
Choking shouldn’t really matter that much unless you’re taking it to the top level where every shot counts; you're either on ‘em or you’re not, as they say. 
Used mates Miroku for the skeet however; I know my limits. 

2 hours ago, Robden said:

If it's the new 38 it should have the adjustable comb. If there is room, just lower the comb a tad so it shoots a bit flatter.  I know of several people that only use one gun for both disciplines. I suppose they just get used to different sight pictures.

Robden it’s a new grade 1 it’s not adjustable but the comb being high is perfect for me I’m over 6ft 2 so my head sits perfectly with the beretta sporter all be it lovely gun I’m noticing when shooting it my head rolling over it a bit to get sight picture if that makes sense that’s why I’d be more comfortable using the trap for sporting thanks for reply 👍

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Use the gun you're most comfortable with, stick in whichever chokes you're happy with and learn to use it. 

Thanks centerpin 

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I use a 32" Beretta 682 Gold Trap Gun for English Sporting.

I have 3 the same, all Teague choked and an extra set of Fixed Trap barrels with 3/4 and Full.

My eldest Son uses a 32" Beretta 682X Trap Gun for English Sporting.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I often use a Winchester 8500 trap gun for sporting, and had great fun with it up at Westlands a week ago. Smokes the bolting bunnies, one of which is now a ‘looping’ rabbit! 🙂
Choking shouldn’t really matter that much unless you’re taking it to the top level where every shot counts; you're either on ‘em or you’re not, as they say. 
Used mates Miroku for the skeet however; I know my limits. 

Thanks lads Yous just answered my next question regarding choking for DTL I use 3/4 bottom barrel Full top barrel so I’m guessing for sporting open the chokes up a bit 👍👍

I’ve just bought a MK38 32 inch barrels fixed choke 3/4 and full trap gun for dtl. I went round a sporting course expecting to drop maybe 20 percent using the tighter chokes and the higher shot placement. Scores were surprisingly much the same possibly a bit better than I do with an MK60 with 28 inch barrels and a lot of the clays were closer than further away. I’ve now sent the MK38 off to be Teague choked. I think the longer barrels and higher stock suit me better for clays and now the 28 inch MK60 feels a bit too fast for clays but it is better suited to my walked up shooting.
Hope your MK38 on sporting turns out to be a success

I use a Nikko Supreme for sporting that my grandad had modified for DTL shooting. It shoots really high, more so than normal trap gun and it still works well for sporting. You have just got to remember to keep the barrels down as i mainly miss by shooting over the top. That being said any clay going away just gets mullered 🤣 The main thing is just feeling comfortable/confident with it. 

I Used my 535 trap gun with some light 21 gram cartridges after some dental work on ‘shooting side’  of mouth a few weeks ago

currently using my light game gun as it’s that time of the year. Will likely even take the 16 bore side by side before that gets used in the field!

Go and have a play that’s part of the fun !

Agriv8

On 06/11/2023 at 15:27, Konor said:

I’ve just bought a MK38 32 inch barrels fixed choke 3/4 and full trap gun for dtl. I went round a sporting course expecting to drop maybe 20 percent using the tighter chokes and the higher shot placement. Scores were surprisingly much the same possibly a bit better than I do with an MK60 with 28 inch barrels and a lot of the clays were closer than further away. I’ve now sent the MK38 off to be Teague choked. I think the longer barrels and higher stock suit me better for clays and now the 28 inch MK60 feels a bit too fast for clays but it is better suited to my walked up shooting.
Hope your MK38 on sporting turns out to be a success

Thank you Konor I actually took a drive down to the sporting layout for a look around at the traps and targets I was surprised after talking too a few sporting shooters that a right few off them use trap guns they just open there chokes more 👍

On 06/11/2023 at 18:13, Gordon R said:

I have used trap guns for sporting and skeet since about 1988. Any misses are down to lack of concentration, not the gun. In the North West, many top shooters have used trap guns - Jim Stafford, Kevin Mayor, Graham Stirzaker.

Thanks Gordon it’s just for a bit of fun so the mk38 trap will be getting a outing 👍

I have used several 'Trap' guns for both skeet and Sporting over 60 plus years of shooting. I am currently using a Classic Doubles multi choked Trap gun that came with 2 sets of woodwork,  one Sporting and the other Trap, with a Monte Carlo stock. I am using the Trap woodwork at present with 1/4 choke in both barrels. All that I would advise is to FORGET that you are using a Trap gun and just shoot the targets in the same way that you would normally shoot them. Once you start trying to shoot 'low' because of the comb height on the stock, you will be 'Doomed'  !  😄

On 07/11/2023 at 22:25, Westley said:

I have used several 'Trap' guns for both skeet and Sporting over 60 plus years of shooting. I am currently using a Classic Doubles multi choked Trap gun that came with 2 sets of woodwork,  one Sporting and the other Trap, with a Monte Carlo stock. I am using the Trap woodwork at present with 1/4 choke in both barrels. All that I would advise is to FORGET that you are using a Trap gun and just shoot the targets in the same way that you would normally shoot them. Once you start trying to shoot 'low' because of the comb height on the stock, you will be 'Doomed'  !  😄

Westly thanks for the great advice I done exactly what you just said not to do 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️I went to the sporting layout for a round of 50 with the trap gun I shot 26 lol First I was shooting low 2nd was trying to figure out the layout which birds were coming out of which traps But I have to say years of shooting DTL Sporting was a breath of fresh air I really enjoyed it and have joined the shooting ground The instructor realising the clays was a top guy and give me advice whole way through it very enjoyable 👍👍👍👍

Excellent,  once having discovered which way the target is going, you can then adjust stance, gun hold point etc., to suit. The only targets that may cause you a problem with a Trap gun are straight up and away (springing teal) or going away overhead. The teal may require you to 'shoot the feet' and the overhead going away may need a bigger gap underneath than you are used to. For everything else, just shoot it in the normal way.

The hardest part of shooting DTL, is staying awake long enough to shoot 25  !     🙄

Lol cheers westley Yes DTL More concentration think that’s what gets a lot of people I’m gonna try get down next week for the sporting again I Forgot to mention I’d forgotten to swap chokes out so was using 1/2 3/4 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😌😌

21 hours ago, DO8 said:

If your Trap gun shoots about 60/40, it should serve you well for skeet or sporting, provided you have choke tubes that are appropriate for those games.

DO8 I was shooting a bit high on the compact sporting I think il have to use more open chokes Does miroku trap guns shoot 60/40 or 70/30 I’ve heard different opinions 👍👍

Just stick 2 x 1/4 chokes in and shoot the damned thing  !  I do believe you are 'overthinking'  it, and creating problems that are not there. A few year ago ,when I ran a shooting ground, we had an old Miroku 3800 trap gun, used as a 'club' gun. It was choked 3/4 and Full. Occasionally people would use it on the Compak Sporting layout, I told them it had been bored out to skeet and 1/4 chokes. They went out and quite happily shot the gun, and more often than not, shot it well !  As was told to me, many years ago, " You have thrombosis of the stock...........its the CLOT behind it "  !   🙄

Edited by Westley