Moon flight before xmas

edenman

This was a touch and go type of moon flight. We wanted to have a shot under the moon before Xmas, the cloud was thick but it was to thin as the night went on and there was a fresh breeze blowing so we thought stuff it we will go.

It was very quiet as we walked out on the estuary but we heard enough to give it a few hours. In all honesty it was fairly boring with not much happening until well after 11pm. With the tide not far from the full the geese began to move and we got some sport. The most notable thing from the flight was my friend shooting his last goose at 11.58. Just minutes before we got in to Sunday and no shooting.

So 2 geese each 3 pinks and a grey. Special mention to the silent hero my lab Ghillie.

IMG_1669.jpeg.d61c075d05f8e84aed0bf1b738731133.jpeg

IMG_1670.jpeg.cedf11f691a8cb618dabeb8c8f7b762e.jpeg

my contribution 

Edited by edenman

23 minutes ago, edenman said:

This was a touch and go type of moon flight. We wanted to have a shot under the moon before Xmas, the cloud was thick but it was to thin as the night went on and there was a fresh breeze blowing so we thought stuff it we will go.

It was very quiet as we walked out on the estuary but we heard enough to give it a few hours. In all honesty it was fairly boring with not much happening until well after 11pm. With the tide not far from the full the geese began to move and we got some sport. The most notable thing from the flight was my friend shooting his last goose at 11.58. Just minutes before we got in to Sunday and no shooting.

So 2 geese each 3 pinks and a grey. Special mention to the silent hero my lab Ghillie.

IMG_1669.jpeg.d61c075d05f8e84aed0bf1b738731133.jpeg

IMG_1670.jpeg.cedf11f691a8cb618dabeb8c8f7b762e.jpeg

my contribution 

Excellent results well done 👍 Just my opinion but for myself Moon Flights are the very best sport to be had . Have a good Christmas and hopefully a few more moon flights over the Christmas period 

Edited by 6.5x55SE

6 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Excellent results well done 👍 Just my opinion but for myself Moon Flights are the very best sport to be had . Have a good Christmas and hopefully a few more moon flights over the Christmas period 

I agree 100% moonflighting is the best. Plans are being made for more flights…

6 hours ago, bishop said:

good stuff! its blowy as hell here just now and although was itching for a go out on the local bay for a pop yesterday  my mrs is still giving me that predictable "its christmas" stare.

😂

6 hours ago, islandgun said:

Well done, Ive enjoyed a few moon flights, an added difficulty for me is that I surrounded by hills/mountains and if the ducks come in low [usual] i cant see them until they are on top of me, nice to hear the various noises at night

One of my local estuaries is like that in the mornings so it mostly shot as a tideflight for duck in the day.

1 hour ago, flippermaj said:

A good right up and result.  I was working at 0100 last night and what a nice moon it was.  Moon flighting is something I have never really tried properly    I  keep trying to get motivated to do it but never seem to get there!  In wind  Skye at the moment so it will have to wait for Januarys moon.

Be careful it’s addictive 

Excellent result and I am glad that there are still some fowlers out there who still take part in shooting under the moon , I have many happy memories of being on the marshes and the estuary under moonlight conditions and not all ended up with something in the bag , cloud , wind and tides can and do make a difference , you can get a clear sky with the stars shining brightly that can be next to useless when it comes to duck shooting , then on the other hand you can get heavy cloud move in and then you cannot see a thing .

Two nights that stick in my mind was when me and a mate of mine went to walk around the dykes with heavy snow on the ground , it was one of those nights when the moon was full with very thin cloud across the sky , we went out around 8 pm when the moon was well up and getting out of the motor you could see the gates on the other side of the fields as if it was daylight , we both split up and arranged to meet up near the river a hour or so later , I had walked around a couple of fields when a pair of Mallard got up virtually under my feet and you could easily pick out the duck from the drake , two well placed shots and very soon after my dog had brought them both back , now and again I could hear my mate having a shot or two and I knew that he missed very little so I guessed he have got a few duck , my highlight that night was when my dog must had smelt a covey of English Partridge's and they got in front of me , after a quick shot one Partridge was left flapping about in the snow , I had no doubt broken some law but that never entered my head as I have never done it since and never ever likely to do it again .

Another night which was less productive was when I took my single gun punt to the top end of the estuary and then push back towards the town into the moonlight for any resting duck , everything started off fine , left my boatshed around 9 pm to row nearly five miles to reach my starting point and by then the tide should be full and start to ebb , I left with a clear sky but very soon the cloud started to cover the moon , at first this wasn't a problem then after about three miles the light was getting less and less , when I was reaching the end the first drops of rain started to fall and within the next ten minutes it was raining hard and you couldn't see a thing , so with the change of tide now taking place all I could do was to turn round and row the five miles back in the now heavy rain , not one of the best nights but you soon forget about it and start looking forward to the next night out . all part of the package .

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone and enjoy the rest of the season      MM

23 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Excellent result and I am glad that there are still some fowlers out there who still take part in shooting under the moon , I have many happy memories of being on the marshes and the estuary under moonlight conditions and not all ended up with something in the bag , cloud , wind and tides can and do make a difference , you can get a clear sky with the stars shining brightly that can be next to useless when it comes to duck shooting , then on the other hand you can get heavy cloud move in and then you cannot see a thing .

Two nights that stick in my mind was when me and a mate of mine went to walk around the dykes with heavy snow on the ground , it was one of those nights when the moon was full with very thin cloud across the sky , we went out around 8 pm when the moon was well up and getting out of the motor you could see the gates on the other side of the fields as if it was daylight , we both split up and arranged to meet up near the river a hour or so later , I had walked around a couple of fields when a pair of Mallard got up virtually under my feet and you could easily pick out the duck from the drake , two well placed shots and very soon after my dog had brought them both back , now and again I could hear my mate having a shot or two and I knew that he missed very little so I guessed he have got a few duck , my highlight that night was when my dog must had smelt a covey of English Partridge's and they got in front of me , after a quick shot one Partridge was left flapping about in the snow , I had no doubt broken some law but that never entered my head as I have never done it since and never ever likely to do it again .

Another night which was less productive was when I took my single gun punt to the top end of the estuary and then push back towards the town into the moonlight for any resting duck , everything started off fine , left my boatshed around 9 pm to row nearly five miles to reach my starting point and by then the tide should be full and start to ebb , I left with a clear sky but very soon the cloud started to cover the moon , at first this wasn't a problem then after about three miles the light was getting less and less , when I was reaching the end the first drops of rain started to fall and within the next ten minutes it was raining hard and you couldn't see a thing , so with the change of tide now taking place all I could do was to turn round and row the five miles back in the now heavy rain , not one of the best nights but you soon forget about it and start looking forward to the next night out . all part of the package .

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone and enjoy the rest of the season      MM

Yet again another great read.

Merry Christmas marsh man , hopefully you'll get some good sport over festive period.

On 27/12/2023 at 19:19, edenman said:

No Del it’s a Redolfi wildfowler.

Are you the same Del that was on the old wildfowling forum??

East of Scotland Forum?

How do you find the gun? I'm thinking about getting 1 or the bettinsoli x trail just trying to see what is best for the money 

1 hour ago, DEL123 said:

East of Scotland Forum?

How do you find the gun? I'm thinking about getting 1 or the bettinsoli x trail just trying to see what is best for the money 

No the old private wildfowling forum? I’m maybe thinking of another Del.

I think it’s a great gun. No issues as of yet. I’ve had it since September and I’ve done a lot of flights with it. A bit light for 3 1/2” magnums I feel, not that I’ve fired any through it yet. It has the benelli/beretta Mobil choke system so aftermarket chokes would be easy to source if that’s your thing. 

Edited by edenman
Add info