Holts Bargain

On 02/01/2024 at 11:38, alan123shooting said:

045210DF-E0CB-441E-8FD5-D1B730BC993E.jpeg.564eedbec1884ebbf3ea261c7ffc8b65.jpegJust picked up a bargain from Holts this morning, a J. Hobson 12 bore Side xSide eject in good condition. Nice tight action, well figured stock and unmarked bores, still has some of the colour case hardening all for the princely sum of £39 all in, just needs a better recoil pad and a bit of left hand cast 

image.jpg

image.jpg

8AAA30DB-2069-4F13-828E-23F80AB6933A.jpeg

image.jpg

Alan that’s some bargain lovely looking gun £39 😁😁What’s the choking on it I’m sure when you get it altered the way you want it be the best £39 you’ve ever Spent 👍

6 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Alan that’s some bargain lovely looking gun £39 😁😁What’s the choking on it I’m sure when you get it altered the way you want it be the best £39 you’ve ever Spent 👍

Hi it’s cylinder and quarter which I don’t mind, as it’s will be a walk around gun. 

15 hours ago, alan123shooting said:

Hi it’s cylinder and quarter which I don’t mind, as it’s will be a walk around gun. 

On the rare occasions that I buy another gun the first job is to have the chokes taken out to cylinder and quarter.

4 minutes ago, Mable said:

I'd like to find a localish gunsmith to trust to take out to 1/4, 1/4. Last time I used a local man I ended up with open and blunderbuss. Completely ruined a serviceable 1950s SBS.

There is a saying in the gun trade: gunsmiths ruin guns.......gunmakers make guns. 
In 1976 I had a 1/2 and full Spanish SxS taken out to true cylinder and quarter. I have never for one second regretted removing all the choke from that right barrel. Definitely not ruined at all.

8 minutes ago, London Best said:

There is a saying in the gun trade: gunsmiths ruin guns.......gunmakers make guns. 
In 1976 I had a 1/2 and full Spanish SxS taken out to true cylinder and quarter. I have never for one second regretted removing all the choke from that right barrel. Definitely not ruined at all.

It's a reliable, trustworthy and competent local man I need. I want my all my old guns at 1/4, 1/4. 1898, 1968, and 1970, but I don't want them worked on by the apprentice on a Monday morning suffering from a hangover from his weekend bender. Apparently that's all that's available locally.

11 hours ago, Mable said:

It's a reliable, trustworthy and competent local man I need. I want my all my old guns at 1/4, 1/4. 1898, 1968, and 1970, but I don't want them worked on by the apprentice on a Monday morning suffering from a hangover from his weekend bender. Apparently that's all that's available locally.

If you say where "local" is someone will give you some help.