Caesar guerini Maxum sporting v Browning

pux

Evening, I currently shoot a Browning Ultra XS Pro, lovely gun…but does it make me smile when I get it out the cabinet…no! It’s functional! I was going to go for a Crown version but I had my head turned by a Caesar Guerini Maxum limited edition that’s case hardened! I can’t shoot it because it’s brand new…

Does anyone own a Caesar Guerinin Maxum or other model? Them seem better put together than some of the latest brownings ( I need to stop being a fan boy of browning ) any thoughts or do I stick with functional & boring…! 

Edited by pux

3 minutes ago, pux said:

Evening, I currently shoot a Browning Ultra XS Pro, lovely gun…but does it make me smile when I get it out the cabinet…no! It’s functional! I was going to go for a Crown version but I had my head turned by a Caesar Guerini Maxum limited edition that’s case hardened! I can’t shoot it because it’s brand new…

Does anyone own a Caesar Guerinin Maxum or other model? Them seem better put together than some of the latest brownings ( I need to stop being a fan boy of browning ) any thoughts or do I stick with functional & boring…! 

I have an Invictus 11 and the build quality is absolutely sublime, I part exed a Crown in to get it.

1 hour ago, Weihrauch17 said:

I have an Invictus 11 and the build quality is absolutely sublime, I part exed a Crown in to get it.

Interesting, what was your main reason for the change? Was your crown a game version? 

1 hour ago, pux said:

Interesting, what was your main reason for the change? Was your crown a game version? 

Yes it was but I mainly use a 20 bore because we do a lot of walking.  Shot a friends CG and was blown away by it quality wise , I use the CG mainly on Pigeons sat in a hide and it is superb.

15 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Yes it was but I mainly use a 20 bore because we do a lot of walking.  Shot a friends CG and was blown away by it quality wise , I use the CG mainly on Pigeons sat in a hide and it is superb.

Sounds great, looks like I’m going to have to look properly at a CG 🤦🏻‍♂️

14 minutes ago, pux said:

Sounds great, looks like I’m going to have to look properly at a CG 🤦🏻‍♂️

Amongst many I have had a EELL and the Crown and the Invictus trumps them both on quality.  It also shoots superb for me but I ordered one with an adjustable comb so I have been able to set it up just right.

5 minutes ago, vmaxphil said:

I've got an invictus 1 ltd and a browning 525sl laminate and have to say the invictus is head and shoulders above the browning 

Thanks Phil, i was looking at a 525 Game laminate not long ago for my pigeon gun. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just bought a new Invictus Ascent 1 with lovely wood. I don’t think you can buy a better gun for the money. Though the new Browning xs Pro crown does look nice for same money. 

Buy one and enjoy it life’s too short not too, you can always change to something else in future if your tastes change, it’s all part of the fun. 

23 minutes ago, figgy said:

Buy one and enjoy it life’s too short not too, you can always change to something else in future if your tastes change, it’s all part of the fun. 

I couldn't agree more. Well said that man.

• 2 weeks later...

CG’s seem to depreciate much more brownings, so a used one may be a good buy. 

I have a couple of friends who bought new CG’s and both had problems, one wouldn’t fire the bottom barrel, and another the stock finish wore off in a few months and looked terrible. They may have just been unlucky. 

After trying about 20 different different guns from virtually every maker and with every configuration of rib known to man I bought a pre-loved flat rib CG Challenger in in 2016. The shop had 3 new Summits but I settled for the 2011 vintage Challenger which is essentially a grade 3 Summit. It came with paperwork including the original factory inspection certificate, signed by the inspector, and the really nice branded Negrini motor case ( much nicer than the later crummy red cases they supply now). First impressions always stick and I was immediately struck by the attention to detail such as the the forend wood being smooth and finished on the inside, unlike my SV10 forend which hadn't even been sanded smooth on he inside much less treated. As for the barrels... Suffice to say I can clean the bores to like new finish in 10 minutes whereas I could spend 2 hours on the Optima HP (Steelium) barrels on the SV10 and still not quite get them perfect. The Challenger is now 13 years old and the stock finish is still excellent - although I have dressed it with oil a few times per the makers instructions.

So I still have the CG, and on a few occasions shooting with friends who are Invictus owners we've swapped guns, and TBH it's hard to tell the difference. The triggers are just as good, the handling is virtually indistinguishable and even the weights are comparable with mine which is 8lbs 3oz. Not surprising really as the only significant mechanical difference with the Invictus is the way the barrels are hinged.

Of the many different guns I've tried, the only one which would drag me away from the CG was a Perazzi Hi-Tech, but as an elderly leisure shooter I can't justify spending that amount of money.