Trouble at Gulf

ditchman

30 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

That only continues to happen because of that same old stale thinking, if everyone got up on election day and thought to themselves I want change and I'm going to vote for it today, we'd have a new party in power over night.

But they don't - and one (big) reason why is that there are lots of unanswered questions - to which it is perfectly reasonable to want answers before voting for a Gov't.

1. Who will actually be PM?
  2. Who will be Foreign Secretary
  3. Who will be Chancellor
  4. Who will be Home Secretary
  5. Who will be the main 'front bench' team (in addition to the above)
  6. What are the main policies on (just some examples from recent manifestos (all colours)
    1. The economy - (borrow more?  borrow less?  raise taxes?  cut taxes?  All of the preceeding?) Raise enough to pay for everything from removal of Non Dom status?
    2. Health service - give Dr's 35% rises the want?  Reform top to bottom?  Start privatisation?  Throw in more money?
    3. Education - Free Universities
    4. Trades Union/Strikes legislation.- tighten anti striking legislation for essentials?  repeal some 'restricting strikes' acts making striking easier? 

I appreciate we are not yet in a campaign and manifestos are 'under wraps', but knowing who the 'key players' are is essential for many (me included).  Labour have a 'shadow' team as oppositions do, Lib Dems and SNP have spokespersons on Foreign affairs, the economy, law and order etc.  A New Party has to show they are a party and could form a Gov't of credible people and that was (in my view) why Farage and his party(ies) have never won a seat in Westminster.  They don't have a credible team.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

But they don't - and one (big) reason why is that there are lots of unanswered questions - to which it is perfectly reasonable to want answers before voting for a Gov't.

6. What are the main policies on (just some examples from recent manifestos (all colours)
    1. The economy - (borrow more?  borrow less?  raise taxes?  cut taxes?  All of the preceeding?) Raise enough to pay for everything from removal of Non Dom status?
    2. Health service - give Dr's 35% rises the want?  Reform top to bottom?  Start privatisation?  Throw in more money?
    4. Trades Union/Strikes legislation.- tighten anti striking legislation for essentials?  repeal some 'restricting strikes' acts making striking easier? 

I appreciate we are not yet in a campaign and manifestos are 'under wraps', but knowing who the 'key players' are is essential for many (me included).  Labour have a 'shadow' team as oppositions do, Lib Dems and SNP have spokespersons on Foreign affairs, the economy, law and order etc.  A New Party has to show they are a party and could form a Gov't of credible people and that was (in my view) why Farage and his party(ies) have never won a seat in Westminster.  They don't have a credible team.

I was listening to Richard Tice on radio 4 the other day, reforms policy's sounded like good common sense stuff, it was very refreshing.

36 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I was listening to Richard Tice on radio 4 the other day, reforms policy's sounded like good common sense stuff, it was very refreshing.

Yes, I heard him speak and he did speak well and sense.  However, like Farage, he appears to be a 'one man band'.

To be a realistic proposition for a Gov't of the future, they need a party, with spokespersons on the different main areas of politics, and who all sing from the same hymn sheet in a reasonably cohesive way.

What most party leaders (Tory and Labour) of recent times have struggled with is holding a cabinet and party together long enough to get things done.  With Tice and Farage it isn't clear who the 'party seniors' are - let alone whether they can work togheter for 5 years.

43 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Yes, I heard him speak and he did speak well and sense.  However, like Farage, he appears to be a 'one man band'.

To be a realistic proposition for a Gov't of the future, they need a party, with spokespersons on the different main areas of politics, and who all sing from the same hymn sheet in a reasonably cohesive way.

What most party leaders (Tory and Labour) of recent times have struggled with is holding a cabinet and party together long enough to get things done.  With Tice and Farage it isn't clear who the 'party seniors' are - let alone whether they can work togheter for 5 years.

So that's 3, Tice, Farage & Habib. Possibly 4 if Widdecombe stands.

It's a start, but a long way off, hopefully some of the actual conservatives from the Cons, want to be part of a conservative party, instead of Liebour 2.0.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Probably true, but as they say, the mightiest oak trees grow from the smallest acorns. 

27 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Probably true, but as they say, the mightiest oak trees grow from the smallest acorns. 

well i aint waiting for 500 years for the acorn to mature into something useful

17 hours ago, ditchman said:

dont get yer knickers in a twisp.........(lost me teef)......we are starting the next ice age....so there is **** all we can do......just enjoy youself.......spend your money ...keep a few quid to one side for a new forum server...and whistle "always look on the bright side of life " as the nukes are coming our way

Oh I’m not troubled at all; quite enjoying all this ‘we must save the planet’ gobbledegook and 40 watt bag for life lifestyle while our so called leaders and their minions do their utmost to obliterate nations. 
If the doom and gloomers are right, all this bombing will ensure a nice summer. 🙂

17 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I agree reform don't appear to stand for anything and couldn't even hope to form a government.

Nevertheless, the choice for me is a spoiled ballot (AKA none of the above) or a third party candidate.

It has to be the latter option.  The more votes these fringe parties get, the more they grow and have some chance of challenging the incumbent Lib-Lab-Con trifecta of awfulness.