Help needed

Gordon R

Just got this message from a mate. 

"Hi Gordon. How old do you think the stock and trigger mechanism are and if you used it as a wall hanger, would it be legal?"

I have messaged him to see if there are any names / marks on the action?

chris.jpg

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

As a pinfire would it not be classed as antique, obsolete calibre? 
If so, the locks themselves aren’t illegal to own…..unless legislation has changed in the intervening years since I was a collector. 

I don’t think the action in the picture is a pin fire.

Westley - made me laugh. I wasn't sure whether the twisted tubes were once barrels which had been rendered useless. Chris's brother acquired the tray full as a job lot with some other bits. Still awaiting details and photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Off the top of my head - doesn't the law in relation to firearms center around pressure bearing parts and availability of ammunition?

What I'm presuming you have there is a pressure bearing part of a 12 bore - so regardless of its age it would still require a licence to possess - even minus the barrells.

1 hour ago, PeterHenry said:

Off the top of my head - doesn't the law in relation to firearms center around pressure bearing parts and availability of ammunition?

What I'm presuming you have there is a pressure bearing part of a 12 bore - so regardless of its age it would still require a licence to possess - even minus the barrells.

Correct

Further to that, IF your mate was 'sold' it, the seller committed an offence as it doesn't seem likely it is currently 'in proof'.  My reading is that teh barrels have undergone 'material alteration' since last proof!