Wildfowling in Wales receives boost from the BASC Wildlife Fund

Conor O'Gorman

The BASC Wildlife Fund has awarded its first loan in Wales to the Wentloog Wildfowling and Conservation Association.

The loan, totalling £35,000, will be used by the Wentloog Wildfowling and Conservation Association (WWCA) to purchase 932 acres of foreshore in Wentloog, a rural community in the southwest of the city of Newport.

For more details click the weblink below:

https://basc.org.uk/wildfowling-in-wales-receives-boost-from-the-basc-wildlife-fund/

6 hours ago, jall25 said:

I wonder if buying land up at these prices is the way forward 

6 hours ago, jall25 said:

Brilliant news ! 

In all seriousness though i had no idea of the value of mudflats in pounds -cheap aernt they really 

WWCA member - Very brief summarisation of the process but the land was sold to the club at a favorable cost by the estate of a former club supporter and does not reflect the true value of the land. The club also held rounds of donation and fund raising to complete the remainder of the purchase above the BASC loan. 

I'm not sure how intertidal mud flats can be worth anything other than for shooting, fishing or conservation rights. If Al Gore is to believed, the land purchased will be well under water in a few years anyway. 

I'm sure the RSPB would of have been very keen to get their hands on this land and rid that marsh of the shooting scum once and for all. The club committee worked tirelessly and explored all options to ensure that wasn't the case. Some of whom are too old to really shoot anymore so the work they put into the purchase was done selflessly and to ensure that the club had a future well beyond their years. 

2 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

WWCA member - Very brief summarisation of the process but the land was sold to the club at a favorable cost by the estate of a former club supporter and does not reflect the true value of the land. The club also held rounds of donation and fund raising to complete the remainder of the purchase above the BASC loan. 

I'm not sure how intertidal mud flats can be worth anything other than for shooting, fishing or conservation rights. If Al Gore is to believed, the land purchased will be well under water in a few years anyway. 

I'm sure the RSPB would of have been very keen to get their hands on this land and rid that marsh of the shooting scum once and for all. The club committee worked tirelessly and explored all options to ensure that wasn't the case. Some of whom are too old to really shoot anymore so the work they put into the purchase was done selflessly and to ensure that the club had a future well beyond their years. 

Very well done.

1 hour ago, Poor Shot said:

Well done to all concerned.

10 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

Thank you

Without being rude - or too nosey - any idea on true cost - as LB says - would also love a few hundred acres 

11 hours ago, jall25 said:

Thank you

Without being rude - or too nosey - any idea on true cost - as LB says - would also love a few hundred acres 

I've no idea but I know we have raised a lot of funds through the club in addition to the BASC loan. I wouldn't be surprised if the total cost of land only was over £65k and that was on favorable terms. 

At this point in time I very much doubt that you would find any for sale that have the appropriate access rights, sporting rights etc.. The brief summarisations of the legal process that were shared during the club meetings would lead you to believe that it's an absolute minefield and you could well end up buying a load of land only for someone to put in a claim for the sporting rights that have been in their family since the 1800's or some other such technically. The legal costs alone to sort that out could easily double the cost overnight. 

What isn't owned by the crown and leased out will have been snapped up by wildfowling clubs, RSPB etc well before now. Even if you do manage to get hold of some then you would perhaps need to navigate the consenting process with NRW, NE or NS and have a responsibility for the management of the land.   

It's probably easier for the private individual to lease or rent the sporting rights for an inland pond with surrounding land to get your wildfowling fix. It also has the benefit of not having punitive consenting or bag limits enforced on it. 

4 hours ago, Poor Shot said:

I've no idea but I know we have raised a lot of funds through the club in addition to the BASC loan. I wouldn't be surprised if the total cost of land only was over £65k and that was on favorable terms. 

At this point in time I very much doubt that you would find any for sale that have the appropriate access rights, sporting rights etc.. The brief summarisations of the legal process that were shared during the club meetings would lead you to believe that it's an absolute minefield and you could well end up buying a load of land only for someone to put in a claim for the sporting rights that have been in their family since the 1800's or some other such technically. The legal costs alone to sort that out could easily double the cost overnight. 

What isn't owned by the crown and leased out will have been snapped up by wildfowling clubs, RSPB etc well before now. Even if you do manage to get hold of some then you would perhaps need to navigate the consenting process with NRW, NE or NS and have a responsibility for the management of the land.   

It's probably easier for the private individual to lease or rent the sporting rights for an inland pond with surrounding land to get your wildfowling fix. It also has the benefit of not having punitive consenting or bag limits enforced on it. 

Yes - im pretty lucky as i have access to that 

I just found it interesting how far your money can go - a bit like a few decades ago buying an estate in Scotland was a seriously shrewd move 

16 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Yes - im pretty lucky as i have access to that 

I just found it interesting how far your money can go - a bit like a few decades ago buying an estate in Scotland was a seriously shrewd move 

Or a private island for £20k.