England - grants for control of deer, grey squirrel and mink

Defra has published an update to its Agricultural Transition Plan detailing the farming and environmental grants available to those who own or manage land in England. Payments are being offered for a broad spectrum of management options delivered by shoots and shooting. These include deer/grey squirrel/mink control, cover crops, woodland edge management, wildfire mitigation, and wet grassland management for waders.

Since 2018 BASC has had direct engagement with civil servants at Defra on certain options of particular interest for shooting. BASC has demonstrated how shooting on farmland supports the objectives of the post-Brexit new Environmental Land Management Scheme and results in improved uptake of conservation options by farmers, and how shooting activities are essential to the effective delivery of options.

Summary for deer/grey squirrel/mink control:

• Deer control and management – 10 years – £105 per hectare. A great option to assist with the costs of creating a deer management plan, assessing deer damage and undertaking control.
  • Grey squirrel control and management – 10 years – £60 per hectare. Similar to the deer option, to help with the costs of assessing damage from bark stripping and controlling grey squirrels.
  • Mink control and management – 10 years – £99 per 100m of water course. A new option from the middle of 2024 – details to be confirmed.

Much more information here:

https://basc.org.uk/farming-and-environmental-grants-delivering-nature-recovery-through-sustainable-shooting/

Edited by Conor O'Gorman

1 hour ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Defra has published an update to its Agricultural Transition Plan detailing the farming and environmental grants available to those who own or manage land in England. Payments are being offered for a broad spectrum of management options delivered by shoots and shooting. These include deer/grey squirrel/mink control, cover crops, woodland edge management, wildfire mitigation, and wet grassland management for waders.

Since 2018 BASC has had direct engagement with civil servants at Defra on certain options of particular interest for shooting. BASC has demonstrated how shooting on farmland supports the objectives of the post-Brexit new Environmental Land Management Scheme and results in improved uptake of conservation options by farmers, and how shooting activities are essential to the effective delivery of options.

Summary for deer/grey squirrel/mink control:

• Deer control and management – 10 years – £105 per hectare. A great option to assist with the costs of creating a deer management plan, assessing deer damage and undertaking control.
  • Grey squirrel control and management – 10 years – £60 per hectare. Similar to the deer option, to help with the costs of assessing damage from bark stripping and controlling grey squirrels.
  • Mink control and management – 10 years – £99 per 100m of water course. A new option from the middle of 2024 – details to be confirmed.

Much more information here:

https://basc.org.uk/farming-and-environmental-grants-delivering-nature-recovery-through-sustainable-shooting/

I have been doing all three for many years with no Payment.  How is it proven who is doing what (impossible) and is mandatory training required, if so provided by who and why?  If so do we need training to shoot a Squirrel or trap a Mink, Jesus.

Edited by Weihrauch17

12 minutes ago, holloway said:

is mandatory training required,

It is for the ws3 Squirrel payment. Contact your Deer Officer. I also control many squirrels, in excess of 150/yr so maybe I could run a coarse for £££££. 

The Mink one is interesting we have about 700m of the River Ouse to claim on, but I'm sure there will be a catch......:lol: swimming lessons maybe ?, I do have my 10m certificate from primary school.

Deer Control, Where is all the Venison going ? Can't give it away at the moment.

6 hours ago, 8 shot said:

It is for the ws3 Squirrel payment. Contact your Deer Officer. I also control many squirrels, in excess of 150/yr so maybe I could run a coarse for £££££. 

The Mink one is interesting we have about 700m of the River Ouse to claim on, but I'm sure there will be a catch...... swimming lessons maybe ?, I do have my 10m certificate from primary school.

Deer Control, Where is all the Venison going ? Can't give it away at the moment.

Check out training to see if you can be a trainer. With all these things early bird catches the worm. There was good money on the cull for a few assessors. 

9 hours ago, 8 shot said:

Send it here, I love it, not allowed to shoot the numerous deer on my permission as the farmer charges big bucks for that and then sells the meat in his farm shop at hugely inflated prices.

Years ago when shooting wasn't so money driven, I used to shoot deer, gut them only and my local restaurant supplier used to collect and pay £100. Around 2 days wages for me at the time.

3 hours ago, oowee said:

Check out training to see if you can be a trainer. With all these things early bird catches the worm. There was good money on the cull for a few assessors. 

Wasn’t it around £15 per badger?

Out all hours of the night in your own vehicle, own fuel, own guns & ammo, own liability / cost when the anti’s smash your truck up. 

Know of several lads who jacked it in. 😬

More government bodies under appreciating people doing the actual work! 

2 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Wasn’t it around £15 per badger?

Out all hours of the night in your own vehicle, own fuel, own guns & ammo, own liability / cost when the anti’s smash your truck up. 

Know of several lads who jacked it in. 😬

More government bodies under appreciating people doing the actual work! 

Was on about the role of assessors under this NE scheme. 

Rate for cull was set by the farmers who paid for the work. 

11 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

I have been doing all three for many years with no Payment.  How is it proven who is doing what (impossible) and is mandatory training required, if so provided by who and why?  If so do we need training to shoot a Squirrel or trap a Mink, Jesus.

If anyone is interested in free advice on this see contacts lists below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/get-free-business-advice-for-your-farm/organisations-giving-free-advice-in-your-area-listed-by-county

Edited by Conor O'Gorman

3 hours ago, Scully said:

We were all volunteers so never paid a penny

Exactly this, DSC1 £400+ Expenses for little or no return, Squirrel Coarse £150+ at a guess no for return at all. I would assume a Mink coarse similar money.

You log Stalker hours x stalkers in the field and record everything shot from every area being claimed on. All receipts and invoices I assume from sales and expenses to be recorded for taxes VAT etc. Can of worms if you ask me 

17 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

How is it proven who is doing what (impossible).  

4 hours ago, 8 shot said:

Exactly this, DSC1 £400+ Expenses for little or no return, Squirrel Coarse £150+ at a guess no for return at all. I would assume a Mink coarse similar money.

You log Stalker hours x stalkers in the field and record everything shot from every area being claimed on. All receipts and invoices I assume from sales and expenses to be recorded for taxes VAT etc. Can of worms if you ask me 

And all of it totally free from scrutiny, who could possibly certify what is written down and claimed or are we back to chopping tails off?  I thought Land owners had a duty to control Deer and invasive species anyway so why are they now being paid for other peoples toil?  Maybe I am wrong.  If they have to use people from a certified list they may struggle, most of these activities need people to be very local for fuel cost reasons and the ability to check traps daily at least and in Winter especially with short days. 

Edited by Weihrauch17

10 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

And all of it totally free from scrutiny, who could possibly certify what is written down and claimed or are we back to chopping tails off?  I thought Land owners had a duty to control Deer and invasive species anyway so why are they now being paid for other peoples toil?  Maybe I am wrong.  If they have to use people from a certified list they may struggle, most of these activities need people to be very local for fuel cost reasons and the ability to check traps daily at least and in Winter especially with short days. 

You are aware of the grant from this thread so why not look into it and share details with the landowners whose land you shoot on and see if it is worth applying for? I have posted a list of contacts for free advice above.

1 minute ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

You are aware of the grant from this thread so why not look into it and share details with the landowners whose land you shoot on and see if it is worth applying for? I have posted a list of contacts for free advice above.

Thanks if there is no need to have formal qualifications to carry out control I will, but if not I won't. 

• Work with your deer officer/woodland officer to produce a Squirrel Control Plan (SCP) outlining the activities you will carry out. To secure the annual funding for this supplement you must email your SCP to your local deer officer/woodland officer by the end of year 1. Your SCP will build on the draft plan that you submit with your Initial Application documents
  • Take part in Grey Squirrel control training – your local deer officer/woodland officer will discuss these courses with you

Straight from the GOV.UK WS3 website

6 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

OK thanks I will make them aware of it but the volumes might not be worth the paperwork for them, up to them.  

I know what you mean - but you never know.

5 minutes ago, 8 shot said:
  • Work with your deer officer/woodland officer to produce a Squirrel Control Plan (SCP) outlining the activities you will carry out. To secure the annual funding for this supplement you must email your SCP to your local deer officer/woodland officer by the end of year 1. Your SCP will build on the draft plan that you submit with your Initial Application documents
  • Take part in Grey Squirrel control training – your local deer officer/woodland officer will discuss these courses with you

Straight from the GOV.UK WS3 website

Thanks. Who does the grey squirrel control training and is there a cost? Also, have you any info on requirements for deer and mink? Also, as I understand it these are 10-year grants?

50 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

I know what you mean - but you never know.

Thanks. Who does the grey squirrel control training and is there a cost? Also, have you any info on requirements for deer and mink? Also, as I understand it these are 10-year grants?

I believe they are 10 year grants. We have no info on training yet for any of the Deer, Mink or Squirrel schemes but knowing how the Government behave it will be give you in one hand take with the other. Once you get tied into these schemes they will soon have any money they give you back plus some. I can see the deer control being first into compulsory training, and this is not a shot at the BASC but they and the likes of BDS, NGO, etc. creaming off the top of these schemes. Over regulation only ends in a worse situation than you started with. It's about control