Weird Symptoms

serrac

15 hours ago, serrac said:

Thanks guys for the kind words.
It's good to know that even though I've had fairly heated disagreements with some of you in the past, when it comes to something like this I'm still among friends.

I must admit that even though he's gone I'm still haunted by the pain he must have endured towards the end, and can't help wishing I'd done some things differently.
If I'd taken up the suggestion to refer him for a scan a week earlier, or pushed the vet earlier and harder to put him on Tramadol, I might have saved him a few days of suffering.  Can't change anything now but the thought still hurts.

I do take some comfort from the fact his final decline wasn't a long drawn out affair - just a month or so ago he was enjoying himself far too much hump-shredding his bed 😛

Sorry for your loss, Serrac.

We believe that vets have the best interests of the animal at heart, but sometimes I think it's their pocket that comes first, so don't be hard on yourself.

Don’t beat yourself up about those last few weeks. You did all you could and behaved responsibly. They aren’t humans and can’t tell us what is wrong. It’s the vets job to diagnose and yours to follow the advice. Even then the vet has to follow a thread in a case like yours so I wouldn’t be overly critical there either.

It’s always horrid losing a dog but it’s what we sign up for when we pick our pup. Hope you get over it quickly!

We will always have some form of regret when both a person and an animal that you know dearly and have been part of the family , for the last 50 odd years I have never been without at least one working Labrador , if I am honest I have hung on to then for a week or two longer than I should have done when the time have come to make that horrible decision , no one like to see your best friend go but over the years I have hardened up to it and the final event don't get any easier , in fact since my working days have finished nearly 17 years ago I have spent more time with my dogs than I had throughout my working life , even last night we had our shoot meal and since I lost my wife just before Christmas my dog come out with me all the time and have never been left at home by himself , so he was happy in the back of my motor and when the meal was over I went and let him out for a few minutes run around car park , yes we all feel we could have done a bit more after the event but you come across a very responsible person and you done as much , if not more than you could be expected to have done , you might be grieving now but things will get easier and your dog had a brilliant life with no regrets . :good:      MM

Again, thanks all for the kind words, they are very much appreciated.
We probably won't be getting another dog as our circumstances have changed since Louie came into our lives.
But I'm thinking of maybe fostering rescue dogs when I retire in a couple of years and have more time to give them.

On 23/02/2024 at 09:31, marsh man said:

We will always have some form of regret when both a person and an animal that you know dearly and have been part of the family , for the last 50 odd years I have never been without at least one working Labrador , if I am honest I have hung on to then for a week or two longer than I should have done when the time have come to make that horrible decision , no one like to see your best friend go but over the years I have hardened up to it and the final event don't get any easier , in fact since my working days have finished nearly 17 years ago I have spent more time with my dogs than I had throughout my working life , even last night we had our shoot meal and since I lost my wife just before Christmas my dog come out with me all the time and have never been left at home by himself , so he was happy in the back of my motor and when the meal was over I went and let him out for a few minutes run around car park , yes we all feel we could have done a bit more after the event but you come across a very responsible person and you done as much , if not more than you could be expected to have done , you might be grieving now but things will get easier and your dog had a brilliant life with no regrets . :good:      MM

Sorry for the loss of your wife.
Losing a dog is bad enough, I just can't imagine the pain of losing the love of your life.

1 hour ago, serrac said:

Again, thanks all for the kind words, they are very much appreciated.
We probably won't be getting another dog as our circumstances have changed since Louie came into our lives.
But I'm thinking of maybe fostering rescue dogs when I retire in a couple of years and have more time to give them.

Sorry for the loss of your wife.
Losing a dog is bad enough, I just can't imagine the pain of losing the love of your life.

Thanks for your kinds words and yes it is harder than I could ever have imagined but we will get there.

Good luck on your retirement and those two years waiting for it will fly past :good:

It's  terrible news mate .

It's quite a few yrs  since I lost jess and I'm  not ashamed to say I cried like a baby when she went (very unexpectedly) .

I vowed that I would not have another but going out for a walk about shoot just wasn't the same without a 4 legged companion. 

Ffwd to September 2023 and I  caved in and got a working cocker pup PIP (born 13/7/23)

she's a handfull  but we love having around the house. 

her training is coming along slowly as i had a big operation on my shoulder in November and recovery time is going to be around 12-16 months approximately 671037030_20231231_1131252.jpg.830ad2ff9e7301167ae0657c25515238.jpg

39 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

It's quite a few yrs  since I lost jess and I'm  not ashamed to say I cried like a baby when she went (very unexpectedly) .

I vowed that I would not have another but going out for a walk about shoot just wasn't the same without a 4 legged companion. 

Ffwd to September 2023 and I  caved in and got a working cocker pup PIP (born 13/7/23)

her training is coming along slowly as i had a big operation on my shoulder in November and recovery time is going to be around 12-16 months approximately 671037030_20231231_1131252.jpg.830ad2ff9e7301167ae0657c25515238.jpg

She's gorgeous 🙂
I wish you many happy years together out on the fields.

2 hours ago, serrac said:

She's gorgeous 🙂
I wish you many happy years together out on the fields.

Thanks I'm  hoping I can do her right as her breeding is good , it's  my 1st full spaniel jess was a gwp x springer.

Again mate my deepest sympathy  on loosing yours .

I as many on here know how much it hurts

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/02/2024 at 19:00, serrac said:

Thanks guys for the kind words.
It's good to know that even though I've had fairly heated disagreements with some of you in the past, when it comes to something like this I'm still among friends.

I must admit that even though he's gone I'm still haunted by the pain he must have endured towards the end, and can't help wishing I'd done some things differently.
If I'd taken up the suggestion to refer him for a scan a week earlier, or pushed the vet earlier and harder to put him on Tramadol, I might have saved him a few days of suffering.  Can't change anything now but the thought still hurts.

I do take some comfort from the fact his final decline wasn't a long drawn out affair - just a month or so ago he was enjoying himself far too much hump-shredding his bed 😛

Hindsight is a wonderful isn’t it . Don’t dwell on it you made the call when you had the facts he will be pain free in dog heaven !

Agriv8

On 26/02/2024 at 09:43, hodge911 said:

Oohhhh pip she’s gorgeous meet my pip who a right little madam but we love her dearly!

Training for rudolf duties at Christmas 

IMG_2534.jpeg