Here we go again!

I try to train a new dog every two years to maintain a team of three or four at any time. One has been retired this year as deaf so back down to three working. Had a telephone call from a pal ten days ago offering me a dog as she had too many in the kennels and this little chap…Jack….wouldn't get the attention he needed. 

So Jack arrived here on Thursday. What a little sweetly! Lovely nature, follows me everywhere and if I dare sit down tries to lick me to death. Pedigree is 95% red ink so the potential is there I just need to realise it! All down to me now.

IMG_20240209_131713_resized_20240209_042744895.jpeg

IMG_20240209_162453_resized_20240209_042837839.jpeg

Edited by Dave at kelton
Ommission

On 10/02/2024 at 16:23, Dave at kelton said:

I try to train a new dog every two years to maintain a team of three or four at any time. One has been retired this year as deaf so back down to three working. Had a telephone call from a pal ten days ago offering me a dog as she had too many in the kennels and this little chap…Jack….wouldn't get the attention he needed. 

So Jack arrived here on Thursday. What a little sweetly! Lovely nature, follows me everywhere and if I dare sit down tries to lick me to death. Pedigree is 95% red ink so the potential is there I just need to realise it! All down to me now.

IMG_20240209_131713_resized_20240209_042744895.jpeg

IMG_20240209_162453_resized_20240209_042837839.jpeg

Nice sturdy looking dog, that.

A nice yellow, too, just dark enough, but not orange.

Edited by Penelope

On 10/02/2024 at 20:44, marsh man said:

Nice looking pup Dave , have you always had Yellow labs ? 

Thanks! My first was black but I prefer yellow on the Merse. I started with springers then decide I valued my mental health too much and moved over😂😂 When I started with yellows thirty something years ago they were a novelty in the field. Now they are everywhere it seems! 

8 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Thanks! My first was black but I prefer yellow on the Merse. I started with springers then decide I valued my mental health too much and moved over😂😂 When I started with yellows thirty something years ago they were a novelty in the field. Now they are everywhere it seems! 

I did things the other way. Fifty years ago my first Lab was yellow and a dog. All since have been black bitches. I think you are right though and yellow is a better colour for the marsh, but I reckon blacks look smarter in the field.

3 hours ago, London Best said:

“Come here you black *******!” seems to work for all of them!

I've found having to shout at a dog whilst picking up is counter productive. If you have a dog that needs shouting at, it usually doesn't listen & all that happens is all the softer dogs all come rolling back to heel instead of being out hunting.

I find that I can instantly know which dog it is at distance & if I think it's on something based on it's movements, some dogs I trust more than others. The right dog looking like it's on something, we hang around a bit longer before moving on.

I do have a black dog but only the one.

2 hours ago, PERCE said:

I've found having to shout at a dog whilst picking up is counter productive. If you have a dog that needs shouting at, it usually doesn't listen & all that happens is all the softer dogs all come rolling back to heel instead of being out hunting.

I find that I can instantly know which dog it is at distance & if I think it's on something based on it's movements, some dogs I trust more than others. The right dog looking like it's on something, we hang around a bit longer before moving on.

I do have a black dog but only the one.

I was posting a joke. You won’t hear me shouting at dogs when picking-up.