Winchester cartridges and powder

I was hoping that some of you learned guys might be able to help me 

does anyone know what powder was used in the Winchester cartridges 

trap 200

trap 100

blue lights 

silvers

some of my favourite cartridges from the past I would love to try and recreate them if at all possible

thanks in advance 

16 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

I used to reload the cases over 40 years ago with plaswads and 32 grams, I used Nobel 80 powder,about 21 grains I think,but no idea unfortunately what Winchester actually used.They were a great cartridge,and about £80 a thousand then.

£80 a thousand, those were the days.

37 minutes ago, Donkey said:

McAvoy guns list some Winchester powders on there website though I would think these are more modern and a different powder was used back then

The above Trap 100's are from the 1970's. It is worth a phone call to McAvoy's, Tim may remember the powder used by Winchester.  Another Winchester fan is Matt Morgan of Eastfield Guns. 

Edited by Westley

Winchester used a powder called double base ball powder.. I think it may have been unique to Winchester. when I was young  I used thousands of trap 100's until they could no longer be got.. it's over 20 years ago since last seen for sale.  Also used plenty of the western 32g,  superspeed 36g, top shelf stuff for ducks.. still have some packs,  they came in boxes of 10.. and they all came in cases of 500. Compression formed case,  heat seal crimp.  Brilliant cartridges. Winchester can be got now somewhere but they are not like the older original winchesters. 

15 minutes ago, cervusman said:

I still have 100s of Winchester AA cases that I still reload and some very old 410 Winchester AA cases that are still going strong 

Are the 410 cases 3"  if yes whats the price

• 1 month later...

If the Winchester AA shells sold on the UK were in the compression formed cases, they would have been loaded with a version of Winchesters Ball Powders. Factory loads were possibly blended commercial  Powders, which may or may not be the same as their retail packaged powders, but probably more likely so in this case.

Here is the data published by Winchester Australia for reloads in the 1970's.

As far as I know, the powders listed in this chart are not commercially available anymore.

I also have later data if you have later Ball powders like WST etc. 

Personally, I used very little of these powders. I used the Nobels 60  and 80 series mostly. But most Australian reloaders used the CF cases sold by Winchester Australia, and also used by IMI (Eley) Australia. 🙂 Some CF cases were also loaded under the Browning brand name by Winchester Australia. 

Note: The velocities and pressures are in accordance with SAAMI specification test procedures and it would be very unwise to substitute ANY of the listed components. 

Sorry for the poor quality of the scan. It was in a very old file. 🙂 

I might add: I too have a few thousand of those old AA cases in 12G and 20G, and a few in 28G and 410 ,most in excellent condition that I am still loading my Skeet practice loads with. :) 

Winchester Australia loading data 1970's.jpeg

Edited by aussie black duck