Licked it off again πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

Hope this is the right section if not please move.

In my log store I've noticed some rat droppings and I saw one walking on the top.

I decided to set a fen trap with peanut butter lathered on the "plate" and put it in the log store. Three times now the trap hasn't gone off and the trap plate has been licked clean. Yes the safety is off.

Can you recommend something that I can put on the plate that sticks like excreta on a blanket so it takes more effort to get off.

Any advice gratefully received πŸ˜‰

Just now, Scully said:

Or file down the sear? Thats what I did. πŸ‘

The "fatherless" trap has nearly had my fingers all ready as I sprayed it with vegetable oil and put the dust on out of the bottom of the dogs meal, they licked that off too. The vegetable oil has made it lethal, worse than Arkwright's till.

8 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Try a piece of Mars Bar that can be pressed into the 'plate'. It works well for Mice in a standard type trap.

I might heat the bottom of the plate with a candle and melt some chocolate 🍫 on it πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

17 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

The "fatherless" trap has nearly had my fingers all ready as I sprayed it with vegetable oil and put the dust on out of the bottom of the dogs meal, they licked that off too. The vegetable oil has made it lethal, worse than Arkwright's till.

I might heat the bottom of the plate with a candle and melt some chocolate 🍫 on it πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

You could try that of course, but you could mould the Mars Bar all over the 'plate' etc. Good luck whatever way you try.

2 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

You could try that of course, but you could mould the Mars Bar all over the 'plate' etc. Good luck whatever way you try.

I'm just thinking that it would stick to the plate better melted onto the plate sooner than cold πŸ₯Ά πŸ€” they have just licked everything off before πŸ˜‰

3 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Why not use a humane Rat trap , I have got one in my garden and it work a treat , either let it go well away from home , or drop the trap in the water butt .Β  Β  Β MM

you cant do that anymore :no:

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

Yup, illegal,,,, animal suffering.

Harry, you need to tuck away your traps. Accessable to you, but tricky for the rats to get too, preferably somewhere that they need to climb down onto it, so their weight sets them off πŸ˜‰

10 minutes ago, old'un said:

I always let the caught Mice and Rats go when I take my dog down the marsh in the mornings , I found the Mice ones are the best as the Rats ones are alright for Rats but the Mice seem to get through the mesh , Are you allowed to set free a wild animal nowadays ?Β  Β  Β  Β MM

2 minutes ago, JKD said:

Yup, illegal,,,, animal suffering.

Harry, you need to tuck away your traps. Accessable to you, but tricky for the rats to get too, preferably somewhere that they need to climb down onto it, so their weight sets them off πŸ˜‰

also the trap should not be in the open as it could catch anything that gets in the shed, it also maybe illegal?

Aaaargh,,,, it's a minefield of legislation just to snap trap a rat πŸ™ˆ Good luck Harry 😁

24 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I always let the caught Mice and Rats go when I take my dog down the marsh in the mornings , I found the Mice ones are the best as the Rats ones are alright for Rats but the Mice seem to get through the mesh , Are you allowed to set free a wild animal nowadays ?Β  Β  Β  Β MM

That's all good [except for squizzers],,,, drowning any animal is classed as causing unnecessary suffering, hence illegal πŸ˜‰

1 minute ago, JKD said:

Aaaargh,,,, it's a minefield of legislation just to snap trap a rat πŸ™ˆ Good luck Harry 😁

That's all good [except for squizzers],,,, drowning any animal is classed as causing unnecessary suffering, hence illegal πŸ˜‰

THANKS for the update JKDΒ :good:

Just now, marsh man said:

THANKS for the update JKDΒ :good:

There was a case years ago [has been mentioned on this forum somewhere] about an old ish chap live-trapped a squirrel, shot it [many times]with his woefully underpowered air rifle and it was still alive, so,,,,,, he dunked it in his water butt and drowned it. Unfortunately for him, he told his immediate neighbour what he was doing πŸ₯΄ Got reported to the police and he was prosecuted for 'causing unnecessary suffering'. IF he'd not told anyone,,,, no-one would have known 🀦