Fenn trap box

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Fenn traps set in earth I tend to simply use 3 bits of 6in X 18-24in wood nailed together to form the tunnel with the trap set in a depression midway and anchored to a stake or similar outside. I then push in a pair of sticks at each entrance to reduce the width to prevent poults and non targets entering. I site these adjacent to gateposts, along hedge bottoms, walls etc suitably camouflaged if Joe Public are about.

14 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

For Fenn traps set in earth I tend to simply use 3 bits of 6in X 18-24in wood nailed together to form the tunnel with the trap set in a depression midway and anchored to a stake or similar outside. I then push in a pair of sticks at each entrance to reduce the width to prevent poults and non targets entering. I site these adjacent to gateposts, along hedge bottoms, walls etc suitably camouflaged if Joe Public are about.

^^^ This, but I used reduce the width near the trap with 4 pieces of wood screwed/nailed to the sides, this stops them running along the side of the tunnel, they have got to step on the plate to get through.

Only time I ever put a base on them is if they are set in the yard on concrete.

Β 

Β 

1 minute ago, old'un said:

^^^ This, but I used reduce the width near the trap with 4 pieces of wood screwed/nailed to the sides, this stops them running along the side of the tunnel, they have got to step on the plate to get through.

Β 

Β 

Yep. I try to form 'lead in's on the exterior from anything I can find in the vicinity and squeeze the sides of the box in a bit so the trap is as close to the inside edge as possible - without fouling it.Β 

3 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

Do you get rats and squirrels entering?

3 hours ago, old'un said:

Β 

Β 

My intended target will be squirrels in the wood with the box fastened to a tree so the box needs a bottom.Β 

My next box will be as narrow as possible to accommodate the trap. The recently built trap box was an experiment for my garden. I am looking to buy 4 more fenn traps so need boxes to suit.

51 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

My intended target will be squirrels in the wood with the box fastened to a tree so the box needs a bottom.Β 

My next box will be as narrow as possible to accommodate the trap. The recently built trap box was an experiment for my garden. I am looking to buy 4 more fenn traps so need boxes to suit.

I like open ended tunnels as checking for catches or a sprung trap is easy but realise you are looking to install on trees.

4 minutes ago, Miserableolgit said:

I like open ended tunnels as checking for catches or a sprung trap is easy but realise you are looking to install on trees.

Checking for catches with the box is easy because someone suggested putting a cable tie on the trap and drill a hole in the box and put the tie in so it pokes out on the outside. If it's not poking out then the trap has sprung.

Screenshot_20240301_141251_Gallery.jpg.022ad1b567d2ebe71afbe8eadb111cf3.jpg

• 2 months later...

Knocked up these today.Β 
Β 

14” long x 5.5” wide x 5.5” high.Β 
Β 

Just had some spare off cuts up my mates.Β 
Β 

Not bad for free. Fenn mk4 fits inside but length ways, so the trap jaws are facing one of the entrance holes.Β 
Β 

Does it have to be set so the trap jaws are facing the side and the rat enters from the side of the jaws?Β 
Β 

I guess I will find out.Β 
Β 

I thought one of those ready made plastic boxes but the inside was a bit cramped and the trap barely fits facing the side.Β 
Β 

Much cheaper to knock some boxes up.Β 

IMG_1993.jpeg

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Knocked up these today.Β 
Β 

14” long x 5.5” wide x 5.5” high.Β 
Β 

Just had some spare off cuts up my mates.Β 
Β 

Not bad for free. Fenn mk4 fits inside but length ways, so the trap jaws are facing one of the entrance holes.Β 
Β 

Does it have to be set so the trap jaws are facing the side and the rat enters from the side of the jaws?Β 
Β 

I guess I will find out.Β 
Β 

I thought one of those ready made plastic boxes but the inside was a bit cramped and the trap barely fits facing the side.Β 
Β 

Much cheaper to knock some boxes up.Β 

IMG_1993.jpeg

The trap should be set so the quarry hits the plate with the jaws either side of it.Β  The way you have it there is a good chance your quarry will be pushed upwards and not caught or caught inhumanely.Β 

51 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

The trap should be set so the quarry hits the plate with the jaws either side of it.Β  The way you have it there is a good chance your quarry will be pushed upwards and not caught or caught inhumanely.Β 

Thank you, I will make adjustments!!

1 hour ago, Weihrauch17 said:

With the top entry hole how do you get the quarry to hit the plate with its jaws either side of it πŸ€”

2 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

With the top entry hole how do you get the quarry to hit the plate with its jaws either side of it πŸ€”

You don't use a top entry hole with a Fenn Trap, well nobody apart from you reinventing the wheel🀣

Β 

Edited by Weihrauch17

8 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

You don't use a top entry hole with a Fenn Trap, well nobody apart from you reinventing the wheel🀣

Β 

There are a lot more than me using fenns with a top hole box πŸ˜‰

7 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

The rat ate my Nutella but the trap didn’t go off!Β 
Β 

So now I’m feeding the rats πŸ˜«πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

IMG_2009.jpeg

Mice licking it off reaching from the far side? Mine are not as wide. Can you turn it 90Β°?

11 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Mice licking it off reaching from the far side? Mine are not as wide. Can you turn it 90Β°?

As you say, Mice, the trap is set wrong it should be at 90 degrees to the run, also put two strips of wood either side of the trap and two on the floor either side of the trap, like in the video above, this will force the Rat onto the plate.

48 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Note the trigger pressure plate catch when new can require a little work to make it more sensitive not hard to do with a file 😊

9 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Note the trigger pressure plate catch when new can require a little work to make it more sensitive not hard to do with a file 😊

Never found it necessary to touch the catch, if set correctly they will trip.

48 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I find that the things are like Arkwrights till as they are without making them more deadly πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘