English al-a-carte

I am salivating!

In my opinion that is the correct sausage to mash ratio.

One sausage too little and would just be the appetiser, two sausages better, but would still be wanting for more and three perfect.

The sauce looks wonderful.

16 minutes ago, old'un said:

It does look nice, how did you make the Cumberland & onion sauce?

fry onion (chopped small)    when the onion is soft and done add a big tablespoonful of cranberry sauce..stir in....then add bisto onion gravy HALF STRENGTH it boiling water...to the pan and simmer.........when the sausages are brown and cooked ..put them in the pan and simmer for 15 mins....serve.....if the sauce is too thin for you add a bit more powder

17 minutes ago, eggy74 said:

Did you forget to defrost the peas?

that is white pepper not frost doooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

32 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

I am salivating!

In my opinion that is the correct sausage to mash ratio.

One sausage too little and would just be the appetiser, two sausages better, but would still be wanting for more and three perfect.

The sauce looks wonderful.

:good:

I had exactly this the other evening [except for green beans instead of peas] 😄

Similar with the onions too, but herbs as the addition to the Gloucester Old Spot sausages 😋

Looks very nice.  I would have onion gravy or mustard gravy as I'm not a big sweet with meet and veg, but that's just my preference.  I hope you had a nice bit of English mustard with the sausages.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Looks very nice.  I would have onion gravy or mustard gravy as I'm not a big sweet with meet and veg, but that's just my preference.  I hope you had a nice bit of English mustard with the sausages.

i have a friend like you ...will not entertain any fruit or sweet with meat

17 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i have a friend like you ...will not entertain any fruit or sweet with meat

I can eat most (red currant with lamb or game, cranberry with turkey, apple sauce with pork) but I can't abide pineapple with gammon.

What I prefer is mint sauce with lamb, sage and onion 'pudding' (just stuffing made in a tray really) with pork, game and turkey.  With gammon - it has to be English mustard.

45 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Looks good generally but sausages look "plastic" - too straight and regular to be proper  high meat butchers'  made.

Richmond sausages mate.............as im common as muck.............the truth is in the co-op their are maybe 15 different types of saucages.......EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM EXCEPT RICHMOND ...have bloody herbs and spices in them ...which i hate with a passion.............sausages shouldbe just plain and simple..........even the local butchers dont seem to be able to make plain sauages...theyalways have to put some carpy herbs and spices in or to much bloody salt

rant over

21 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Richmond sausages mate.............as im common as muck.............the truth is in the co-op their are maybe 15 different types of saucages.......EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM EXCEPT RICHMOND ...have bloody herbs and spices in them ...which i hate with a passion.............sausages shouldbe just plain and simple..........even the local butchers dont seem to be able to make plain sauages...theyalways have to put some carpy herbs and spices in or to much bloody salt

rant over

I’m with you on this. Nice plain sausage please. Keep everything else out of it.

25 minutes ago, ditchman said:

rant over

Again we differ.  I haven't made sausages myself, but when I make sausage rolls (using purchased sausage meat) I add various spices such as onion salt, garlic powder, pepper and mace and the herbs thyme and sage.

When I buy sausages, I prefer the peppery ones like Cumberland sausages.  Not a fan of the 'sweet' ones like those made with apple, honey or caramelised onions.

Edited by JohnfromUK