Squirrel feeder repair

11 hours ago, Dougy said:

Needed to repair the feeder today, stainless steel is a swine to cut, thankfully its not made for looks/. 

20240507_205536.jpg

Is it a wooden box being repaired with steel or all stainless?

I was thinking of getting some aluminium box section to build some 🤔

Yes wooden box (kindly donated by TT) And repair done with 2mm SS 

5 hours ago, sam triple said:

Just making 3 more up , I find heating the stainless plate up makes it easier to cut and drill

I found that heating it up helped too. Specially drilling the holes from the screws😃. I bought some supposedly good drill bits, I think the holes made in the steel were cut through by friction and melted the steel. Bloody rubbish bits. 

The stainless steel drilling tip that I had, a few years ago, from Old Farrier, and which I have successfully followed ever since, is to use tallow as a drilling lubricant.

I've found it much better than cutting fluid.

I've also found that a lathe centre drill used as a drill bit is very effective too, as they are quite rigid.

On 08/05/2024 at 10:27, Dougy said:

Yes wooden box (kindly donated by TT) And repair done with 2mm SS 

I found that heating it up helped too. Specially drilling the holes from the screws😃. I bought some supposedly good drill bits, I think the holes made in the steel were cut through by friction and melted the steel. Bloody rubbish bits. 

What size holes were you drilling?? A small centre drill would have done the job no problem, its only if you get a bit giddy you get a much bigger hole, let me know if you want one 👍

Is there no lid or feed point for the feed? Just a hole?

On 09/05/2024 at 11:44, THEINVISIBLESCARECROW said:

For a metal feeder I would go for aluminium or is there a reason not to ? I don't mind my wood ones getting chewed, when ruined they go in the wood pile for insects.

Found the 22rf does too much damage. Lol

It's just what I have lying around, I've got about 4 feet x 8 inch lengths. I do have a few sheets of ali but the SS stands up better to getting hit. 

I've also got some 16x10 inch SS  Sheets with air holes in from electrical box's. 

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

What size holes were you drilling?? A small centre drill would have done the job no problem, its only if you get a bit giddy you get a much bigger hole, let me know if you want one 👍

Is there no lid or feed point for the feed? Just a hole?

About 2.5-3mm. It's got a SS flap on the top that hinges up..

The piece cut for the front left a piece just the right size for the top. 

5 hours ago, Dougy said:

About 2.5-3mm.

Probably find there's too much flex in the drill, a centre drill would manage fine though, I'll have a measure Sunday see which size suits.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Dougy said:

I  do a bit of skip salvaging at work. 

That's the best place!

I've still got some stainless and ali in my metal drawer that I salvaged from work over 30 years ago.