Don't you just love it!

On a different website, I gave away (free) two lots of sweet chestnut saplings to two different people. I didn't want anything for them, and only asked for the postage charge to be covered. Fair enough! But, the cost for both came to £5:09 each. This did not include the 65p each I paid for the box, or the fuel cost (albeit under £1) to take them to the post office. I've just been refunded £5:09 by both parties. Both them had 30 saplings each.  Personally, I would have added a bit more (£6:00) as has happened when I've given away items on here. 

Edited by steve_b_wales

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jall25 said:

Why not just ask them for that at the time then ?

Because I leave it to them to decide if they would like to round of the price, or offer a bit more foe something they are having for FREE. I certainly would not just pay the £5:09p. 

Just now, steve_b_wales said:

Edited by steve_b_wales

Steve - sounds a bit like Indian Giving - i think you will find most people would not even give it a thought - if you ask 5.09 thats what they have paid - Next time do yourself a favour and just ask for 7 quid 

2 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

On a different website, I gave away (free) two lots of sweet chestnut saplings to two different people. I didn't want anything for them, and only asked for the postage charge to be covered. Fair enough! But, the cost for both came to £5:09. This did not include the 65p each I paid for the box, or the fuel cost (albeit under £1) to take them to the post office. I've just been refunded £5:09 by both parties. Both them had 30 saplings each.  Personally, I would have added a bit more (£6:00) as has happened when I've given away items on here. 

Hi. 

I get what your saying. 

But if you've said FREE what would expect if someone came to collect ???. 

2 minutes ago, mellors said:

Hi. 

I get what your saying. 

But if you've said FREE what would expect if someone came to collect ???. 

The items were posted, as I mentioned, and not collected

10 minutes ago, Dougy said:

At least some appreciate your efforts Steve 👌 😉

I know mate.  It's no big deal to be honest, it's just something I would not do. 

1 hour ago, mellors said:

The items were posted, as I mentioned, and not collected. 

And it cost £5.09. 

That's what you asked for and got. 

T b h , if I was giving something away I would had said a fiver is near enough to cover the postage , rather than the spare 9 pence , that is probably why I haven't got a lot of the readies :lol:

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

I look at it like buying someone a pint for saying thanks, its not about the money its about the appreciation, I've done it many times not only on here. 

My point exactly.

58 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

Come on guy's Steve does this for a genuine reason lets help him donate at least £8.00 .

cost to plant and grow on  if they got thirty saplings for £5.09 they have taken the P 

I don't want to make a profit, and I'm more than pleased that 'my' saplings are going to different people/places. In future, I will cost in the price of packaging.

4 hours ago, bottletopbill said:

Come on guy's Steve does this for a genuine reason lets help him donate at least £8.00 .

cost to plant and grow on  if they got thirty saplings for £5.09 they have taken the P 

They really haven't 

Steve you need a price for each sapling and add other cost  as shown some take the P 

For thirty saplings say twenty quid  (just guessing as i have no idea of cost) But Steve I will continue to help you

as I know why the reason why you do this work.

Sorry folks me and Steve have never meet and live in different areas of the country but I post him seeds/nuts  for his cause.

Edited by bottletopbill

10 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

Steve you need a price for each sapling and add other cost  as shown some take the P 

For thirty saplings say twenty quid  (just guessing as i have no idea of cost) But Steve I will continue to help you

as I know why the reason why you do this work.

Sorry folks me and Steve have never meet and live in different areas of the country but I post him seeds/nuts  for his cause.

Bill - he set the price that the chaps paid - Again i have no skin in the game 

I sent Steve some seeds years ago - I did not expect him to round up the postage = and to be honest im not even sure i asked him for it - I DONT consider he took the P at all - and i dont think the chaps concerned have

Why don't Steve round it off to the nearest 50p or £1.00 instead of the precise 9p , I sell a few bits and pieces on the forum and elsewhere and for a second class small parcel up to 2 kilo is £3.69 and I charge the buyer £4.00 , up to now no complaints and it cover my small amount of P and P. if you expect more than you say then ask for it in the first place , I cannot see the buyers have done anything wrong , they paid what the seller asked for , fair enough .    MM

I can see what you folk's are saying and I do have to agree.

But for me thirty saplings for £5.09p  I would have paid a bit more but we are all different👍

Perhaps i should not have put taking the P

Edited by bottletopbill

32 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Why don't Steve round it off to the nearest 50p or £1.00 instead of the precise 9p , I sell a few bits and pieces on the forum and elsewhere and for a second class small parcel up to 2 kilo is £3.69 and I charge the buyer £4.00 , up to now no complaints and it cover my small amount of P and P. if you expect more than you say then ask for it in the first place , I cannot see the buyers have done anything wrong , they paid what the seller asked for , fair enough .    MM

I only charged what it cost me, and the postage charge could be seen on the label. 2nd class signed for parcel is now £5:09 (it used to be £4:69) for a medium sized one. I didn't expect more than that, and I leave it to the 'buyer' to decide if they want to give a bit extra. There was a time when I posted the saplings out free of charge, but it was costing me upwards of £30-40 per year. And I agree, the 'buyer's have not done anything wrong, and I did not state that.