Youngest SGC holder?

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Lovely to see

Yea , it make you wonder where the time have gone , as for the old game licence , on the estate where I worked we had a lot of locals in the area that were members on small game shoots and came on our beaters days to shoot game , well one year I was asked by the estate office if I could pop in the village post office to get the boss his game licence , when I went in I don't think the person behind the counter have ever heard of a game licence , anyway I told the young lady that they do them and  she finally found the book after searching high and low , when she opened it she said the last person to buy one was my boss and she hadn't sold another one since the year before :hmm: , so it make you wonder , how many people did buy one ? , we got several Hares , English Partridges and the odd Woodcock , a Pheasant down the marsh in those days were unheard of and I well remember one of the ole fowlers shooting a Hen bird and it was talked about for weeks , my how things have changed . GOOD LUCK with your lad getting his s g c :good:

When I   got my shotgun certificate  in 1948.it was ten shillings at the post office a game licence was three pound and later rose to five pound  and a dog licence was  seven shillings and sixpence The local firearms certificate which cost fifteen shillings for three years was  issued at the local police station

Feltwad100_3697.JPG.64bab6372f7787f38be7b6c9941aee72.JPG

19 minutes ago, Feltwad said:

When I   got my shotgun certificate  in 1948.it was ten shillings at the post office 

No, it wasn’t. Your gun licence was ten shillings at the post office, the shotgun certificate was not invented until 1968. 
Nice picture.

46 minutes ago, London Best said:

No, it wasn’t. Your gun licence was ten shillings at the post office, the shotgun certificate was not invented until 1968. 
Nice picture.

My  mistake  wrong representation of speech Sorry

Feltwad

21 hours ago, Feltwad said:

My  mistake  wrong representation of speech Sorry

Feltwad

Hi Feltwad        If your gun licence was 10s in 48 and my earliest one in 62 when I first left school was the same , how many years were they 10 bob :hmm:, ten bob was a lot of money when I first bought one and a box of shells were 12s / 6d , but in the 40s it must had been a small fortune .     MM

Gun licence was ten Bob right up until it was replaced by the original shotgun certificate in 1968. Cannot remember the original cost of shotgun certificates, but, as already stated, firearm certificates were fifteen shillings for three years.

On 09/07/2024 at 14:36, Feltwad said:

When I   got my shotgun certificate  in 1948.it was ten shillings at the post office a game licence was three pound and later rose to five pound  and a dog licence was  seven shillings and sixpence The local firearms certificate which cost fifteen shillings for three years was  issued at the local police station

What age were you then Feltwad?

• 2 months later...