"Dead-pig pie"

ditchman

19 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

you dont half live it up simon.

believe you me ...im tight when it comes to spending money.....i enjoy making my own food as its similar to messing about in the shed which i cant do anymore......

i tell you now.......i have made some truly awful dishes ...that went straight into the damn bin........definatly wont use that wash again ..i will use just a plain egg wash and cover the pie with a bit of foil until 10 mins from being cooked......

going to do double wrapped puff pasty sausage rolls next time with a oil wash in a hot oven

58 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Is the 'dead pig' sausage meat?  When I make sausage rolls (which I do most shoot days) I spice up the sausage meat a bit with Worcestershire sauce, mace, sage, onion powder etc.  Mace (not too much) goes well in sausages.

my pet hate is arty-farty spicy herby sausages and sausage meat............i put vitually only pepper in with the sauge meat and plain bread crumb...

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

my pet hate is arty-farty spicy herby sausages and sausage meat............i put vitually only pepper in with the sauge meat and plain bread crumb...

Sausage rolls straight out of the oven must be one of the UKs favorite savories , so who on the forum make the best ones , and what are the best shop bought ones , over to YOU .

22 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

These were made for a shoot day last year

5057A725-2BDF-4F89-ADC8-B6865087FE29_1_105_c.jpeg

They look very nice , we will put you at the top of the leader board for the time being , funny enough , most of the shoots I have been on seem to do Sausage rolls , the one I used to go near Norwich would get his local baker to produce enough for roughly 11 o clock they were good and had puff pastry , on the estate where I worked we had good and bad , if the chef who do the scones for the tea rooms was doing them they were very nice , always hot and had bits of Cranberries in them , on the other hand if the halls housekeeper was doing them they were some of the worse ones I have ever had , I swear blind they were vegan , they used to do three different sorts and to me they all tasted the same , mind you my dog didn't complain .😋

1 minute ago, marsh man said:

most of the shoots I have been on seem to do Sausage rolls

They are very easy to make and always popular on a shoot day.

Ready made puff pastry, ready made sausage meat with a few extra breadcrumbs, some seasoning and a pinch or two of herbs and spices and I add a smear of English mustard before rolling the pastry over.  Egg wash/glaze.  Bake in oven around 30 minutes.

A pound of sausage meat and a pack of ready made puff pastry makes 24 small rolls, or 8 'jumbo' sized rolls.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

They are very easy to make and always popular on a shoot day.

Ready made puff pastry, ready made sausage meat with a few extra breadcrumbs, some seasoning and a pinch or two of herbs and spices and I add a smear of English mustard before rolling the pastry over.  Egg wash/glaze.  Bake in oven around 30 minutes.

A pound of sausage meat and a pack of ready made puff pastry makes 24 small rolls, or 8 'jumbo' sized rolls.

That sound fairly easy to achieve a decent sausage roll , we would have to do the 24 small ones as 8 jumbo ones would cause a riot , we used to have a lot of continental teams come over for the Partridge shoots and they brought there own eleven's , this would mainly be salami and German sausages , oh and not forgetting the bottles of wine , I would try the bits and pieces but I can't say anything was to my liking .