What shotgun is this?

SPAS 15

Looks like a Japanese version of the Auto 5 and someone being stupid. 

I have a Daiwa which is almost a carbon copy of this. (With the lid on)   Daiwa were owned by Singer when they made these. Very well made and does cycle perfectly.  Mines at the back of the cabinet to see if it is one. But it's my best guess.

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

Ingenious, but the lack of cover for the block would put most people off.

The top's been deliberately milled off.

Breda Brescia with the REMOVABLE (removable like you could on on an L1A1 SLR) top cover taken off from the receiver. Effectively a Browning A-5 clone using Browning's long recoil action and perfectly safe to use like that but maybe not recommended as sensible. As interesting but also as ill advised as running an old car with the rocker cover off to show the valves and pushrods working! So yes the original claim "A5 is the best" is essentially correct. And actually a very interesting way to show how that system worked. I have been using my 1960's 16 bore Auto-5 just this morning by coincidence! Check the linked video below on the Breda Brescia after about 6:30 to see the top cover removed:

Edited by enfieldspares

On 17/07/2024 at 18:10, enfieldspares said:

Breda Brescia with the REMOVABLE (removable like you could on on an L1A1 SLR) top cover taken off from the receiver. Effectively a Browning A-5 clone using Browning's long recoil action and perfectly safe to use like that but maybe not recommended as sensible. As interesting but also as ill advised as running an old car with the rocker cover off to show the valves and pushrods working! So yes the original claim "A5 is the best" is essentially correct. And actually a very interesting way to show how that system worked. I have been using my 1960's 16 bore Auto-5 just this morning by coincidence! Check the linked video below on the Breda Brescia after about 6:30 to see the top cover removed:

Amazing. I always say that I've seen a lot over my 40 years in the trade but I still haven't seen it all. And here we are.

15 hours ago, theshootist said:

I took a new to me A5 that i picked up from Holts last week. It has a 31.5" ribbed barrel. I was amazed to find it cycle 24 gram shells flawlessly!IMG-20240720-WA0003.jpeg.6e66c617f99511bfa237586a487d0039.jpeg

That's a beauty. 

On 19/07/2024 at 12:38, enfieldspares said:

And yesterday I put my two 12 bore A-5 guns into Southam's auction. One a scarce Trap Model from 1960 the other a standard Hunting Model from 1963. I get on better with the lighter weight 16 bore I have so the two 12 bore guns have had to go.

A customer of mine has a 16. He will not sell it to me. One day perhaps.