Smash Burgers

Jonty

There’s a story behind these - check out the craft section 😀.  Smash burgers on the poor man’s blackstone griddle, pressed with a DIY press.

83C1DB3E-A08B-4615-BBE7-723EC4F672C7.jpeg

F00E8B5B-AD8F-4CE2-937D-F15686B3994C.jpeg

Edited by Jonty

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Looks great but I think it’s got to be streaky bacon on a burger not back! 

If that’s how you want yours Lloyd, that’s no problem, just ask the chef - we like everyone to have their own burgerr how they like it here 👍

Edited by Jonty
Typo

with your horseshoe press.....try making one with steel that is at least an inch thick ...which will press and cook...if left to heat up.....seen them used that thickness in america

52 minutes ago, ditchman said:

with your horseshoe press.....try making one with steel that is at least an inch thick ...which will press and cook...if left to heat up.....seen them used that thickness in america

That sounds a good idea - this was the thickest scrap I had but I like the idea of a monster one!

1 minute ago, Jonty said:

That sounds a good idea - this was the thickest scrap I had but I like the idea of a monster one!

i have seen old solid cast iron victorian smooting irons used for BBQ's as well.......chech the antique shops....they can usually be had for pennies

14 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i have seen old solid cast iron victorian smooting irons used for BBQ's as well.......chech the antique shops....they can usually be had for pennies

I think many are too small.  I believe No 8 is one of the larger sizes and that's on the small size for a burger.  I use them as door stops.

Looks a lovely burger by the way.

46B87019-38DB-45D8-BD05-ED132507142F_1_102_o.jpeg

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So, just as I thought, there is no smashing in "smash burgers" just a piece of metal to keep them flat..........................

Nope, they start life as a ball of meat rather than a formed patty.  You drop it into the griddle and then smash/squash it as flat as you can with the press.  The aim is to get a nice thin burger with crispy bits.  They’re really good - my son loves making them and he’s the burger chef in our house.

4 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

i wouldn't force McDonald's on prisoners 👎

I'm with you !!  I was thinking that I'd pay £15 not to eat a McDonalds 

4 hours ago, oowee said:

When do we come over that looks lovely. 👍

Whenever you want - bring beer 😀

19 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think many are too small.  I believe No 8 is one of the larger sizes and that's on the small size for a burger.  I use them as door stops.

Looks a lovely burger by the way.

46B87019-38DB-45D8-BD05-ED132507142F_1_102_o.jpeg

That would make an amazing press!!