BASC helps deliver pilot course for FEOs - to be rolled out to all FEOs over the next 2 years.

6 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Totally understand 

personally think a flo should have a long history of sporting gun shooting before being considered for the position 

All disciplines in the clay ground and ascertained at minimum cpsa level of coach/ safety officer 

experienced game shooting at some point definitely done some vermin and pigeon shooting with a shotgun 

then spent time on the range with small bore and larger centre fire rifles before moving on to shoot vermin and then obviously pass a level 1 and 2 deer stalking course and shoot deer 

this way you should have someone with a insight into the job and be understanding of the hoops that are being put there for us to jump through 

im sure they would make the best flo in the future 

just my thoughts 

of 

It's very unlikely there are many people in the UK with that sort of knowledge. You could equally throw in knowledge of psychiatry. Personally I would rather they had an understanding of fast paperwork processing and just understood the rules by which they are supposed to operate. 

52 minutes ago, Smudger687 said:

To be frank

Hi Frank 

sometimes it'll be the FCR inspector or AFO senior who requests gun seizures from a job, rather than the licencing team. 

Regardless I agree without exception to your comment. 

33 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Totally understand 

personally think a flo should have a long history of sporting gun shooting before being considered for the position 

All disciplines in the clay ground and ascertained at minimum cpsa level of coach/ safety officer 

experienced game shooting at some point definitely done some vermin and pigeon shooting with a shotgun 

then spent time on the range with small bore and larger centre fire rifles before moving on to shoot vermin and then obviously pass a level 1 and 2 deer stalking course and shoot deer 

this way you should have someone with a insight into the job and be understanding of the hoops that are being put there for us to jump through 

im sure they would make the best flo in the future 

just my thoughts 

of 

Well I wouldn't do the job for the money offered and the hours to be covered.

They (the Police) seem to expect ex Officers with a good pension behind them to take the job.

Many Firearms Licensing Departments have the cash for more staff, but nobody applies.

Unfortunately this does not get the correct person in to the job.

On 02/10/2024 at 18:49, Smudger687 said:

To be frank, the fact that FEO's need to be familiarised with firearms is embarrassing.

That a person that has never even shot clays gets to decide what guns I can own, what I can do with those guns, and where I can use them, is sufficient justification for the complete removal of the good reason requirement. Again, I really think BASC needs to be doing more to try and get rid of it. 

THIS... ABOVE....   As usual basic bigging themselves up.  To the shooting community and the blokes who just want to go for a walk up with a mate and their dogs this weekend all this semi political posturing is totally irrelevant. Either basic has been infiltrated by wreckers or antis but shooters are being sold down the river.   Whatever you write is just nonsense.  The way things are going there won't be anyone taking part in sports shooting.  Either you are blind, stupid or fifth column.

15 hours ago, Minky said:

THIS... ABOVE....   As usual basic bigging themselves up.  To the shooting community and the blokes who just want to go for a walk up with a mate and their dogs this weekend all this semi political posturing is totally irrelevant. Either basic has been infiltrated by wreckers or antis but shooters are being sold down the river.   Whatever you write is just nonsense.  The way things are going there won't be anyone taking part in sports shooting.  Either you are blind, stupid or fifth column.

This topic is about a College of Policing mandated course being rolled out to FEOs across the country. Why do you think that "shooters are being sold the river"?

On 02/10/2024 at 19:34, oowee said:

It's very unlikely there are many people in the UK with that sort of knowledge. You could equally throw in knowledge of psychiatry. Personally I would rather they had an understanding of fast paperwork processing and just understood the rules by which they are supposed to operate. 

There probably arnt however any new flo would then know the hoops that we are expected to jump through 

how many flo have sat through the whole Basc deerstalker course level 1 and 2 ?  But we’re told we have to do it 🤔

its like sitting your driving test with a examiner that hasn’t passed there own 🙄

I’ve had a lot of flo over the years some very good one exemplary one 

others unable to even display safe gun handling when looking for serial numbers 

the paperwork is down to them we are expected to understand it without any training

surely if there taking on this particular job with the appropriate training it should be a breeze 

just my thoughts 

On 02/10/2024 at 19:43, HantsRob said:

Hi Frank 

sometimes it'll be the FCR inspector or AFO senior who requests gun seizures from a job, rather than the licencing team. 

Regardless I agree without exception to your comment. 

What are the FCR and AFO, please?

2 hours ago, eightlittlebits said:

AFO - Authorised Firearms Officer

FCR I don't know, a google suggests force control room which might make sense. The computer pops up firearms held and requests a seizure?

Thank you. Yep, that's as far as I got.

On 02/10/2024 at 20:00, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well I wouldn't do the job for the money offered and the hours to be covered.

They (the Police) seem to expect ex Officers with a good pension behind them to take the job.

Many Firearms Licensing Departments have the cash for more staff, but nobody applies.

Unfortunately this does not get the correct person in to the job.

Re the 2nd bullet point: ex Services folk with a pension will be familiar with this racket.

Re the 1st bullet point: I'm not so sure and having just checked the salary (effective one year ago) it's a lot more than I was lead to believe and more than the junior doctors were getting before their recent increase and seems fair enough for the (current) skill set required.

3 hours ago, wymberley said:

Re the 2nd bullet point: ex Services folk with a pension will be familiar with this racket. Re the 1st bullet point: I'm not so sure and having just checked the salary (effective one year ago) it's a lot more than I was lead to believe and more than the junior doctors were getting before their recent increase and seems fair enough for the (current) skill set required.

Oh, I might have to have another look then.