rimfire or centerfire

humbug

well folks my fac came through today, so i'm off to look at rifles tomorrow. :lol:

the trouble is i thought i was getting a rimfire but my fac states any .22 rifle and i have spoken to my fac officer and he said that's right so now i'm in two minds whether to get a rf or a cf. :lol:

could anyone give me the pro's and cons.

cheers

brian.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll find he means you can get any .22 rimfire- i.e. .22LR or .22WMR.

If you could have, for example, a .222 then your FAC would give you permission to aquire a .222.

on the fac it says firearms authorized to be purchased calibre .22, so i phoned and asked him if i could purchase any .22 rifle and said yes it also states that i may purchase expanding ammo and that i can lawfully shoot deer!

i will call him again to clarify this.

my main quarry Will be bunnies and pheasant.

cheers

brian.

I think you'll find he means you can get any .22 rimfire- i.e. .22LR or .22WMR.

If you could have, for example, a .222 then your FAC would give you permission to aquire a .222.

on the fac it says firearms authorized to be purchased calibre .22, so i phoned and asked him if i could purchase any .22 rifle and said yes it also states that i may purchase expanding ammo and that i can lawfully shoot deer!

i will call him again to clarify this.

my main quarry Will be bunnies and pheasant.

cheers

brian.

If you didn't ask for a centrefire then you won't be getting a centerfire. It will clearly state on your ticket what you can acquire

When you apply for say a bog standard 223REM. It will say on ticket 223REM 5.56mmx45

Rimfire will state 22RF

Jonno

humbug,

no offence intended, but you really do need some experience and some good, unbiased advice. Why the hell do you want to shoot pheasants with a rifle? You say your FAC authorises you to shoot deer, but you need to ask which calibre to buy for shooting rabbits??!!!!! I think you'll find the reference to deer is from a standard paragraph authorising you to possess expanding projectiles. It is not allowing you to shoot deer with you 22 rimfire.

The mind boggles.

humbug,

no offence intended, but you really do need some experience and some good, unbiased advice. Why the hell do you want to shoot pheasants with a rifle? You say your FAC authorises you to shoot deer, but you need to ask which calibre to buy for shooting rabbits??!!!!! I think you'll find the reference to deer is from a standard paragraph authorising you to possess expanding projectiles. It is not allowing you to shoot deer with you 22 rimfire.

The mind boggles.

hi sako

you're right i really do need some good advice, will be teaming up with a mentor soon and all being well he will bring me upto speed on all things i need to know.

i was surprised at the deer part on my fac as deer won't be my quarry at the moment, so you may be right there.

the shooting of pheasant with a rifle is maybe a tad o.t.t. but i love pheasant and rabbit but hate the shot that i have to pick out of my teeth when eating them so i thought the rifle was a good idea.

no offence taken

i'm new to all this at the moment and it was a question of getting the best rifle i could on my fac instead of getting any old gun and then finding it wasn't good enough.

cheers

brian.

My FLO did a really good interveiw, and qeustioned me on a lot of things, that I spent months if not years learning about. I am really suprised with your lack of knowledge that you were granted an FAC like that, no offence, but its serious business. If thats all your FAC states, I think there has been a misprint, and you should send it back in for amendments to be made. Your FAC should cleary state the firearm and lawful species you are allowed to own and shoot. Better get it sorted, or it will end in tears. I highly suggest getting a mentor to teach you a few things, and read all the topics you can from this forum. Believe it or not, theres actually a hell of a lot of useful info on this server :yp:

so did you study for months or years before you gained your fac or were you a novice once aswell???

i have a mentor but i'm waiting to purchase my rifle before going out with him.

he will be grilled on all things legal or illegal and i think i will ask him any questions from now on instead of being humiliated on this forum.

Guest rabgoat

hi there humbug,what i would do if i was you is do plenty of searching on here for info,there's plenty of good stuff about,i applied for a 17hmr and while i was waiting on it coming i picked loads of info on PW...ALL THE BEST

the l.f.o can boo boo,occasionally to your advantage...but my suspicion is on a '1st shout license' would be a .22 rimmy as R/F...

but if they say you can have a .22 rifle ....get a hornet 22, you wont be disapointed......it will all you want !!

small & medium size mammales -vermin/fox !! (150yds) good luck :yp:

so did you study for months or years before you gained your fac or were you a novice once aswell???

i have a mentor but i'm waiting to purchase my rifle before going out with him.

he will be grilled on all things legal or illegal and i think i will ask him any questions from now on instead of being humiliated on this forum.

All i think that Hunter means is that you should have done all your homework before applying for FAC.

I totally understand Hunters point and i agree with him, he did study for years before he attempted to go for his FAC, i remember! Everyone was a novice at some point but most people try to understand the firearm and its uses before trying to get one, for their own good and others around them.

On my first FAC application I got .22RF and .223.

I am not too sure what your certificate says if it reckons you can shoot deer with a .22 (.22RF or .22Hornet or otherwise).

You might just want to get a top notch .22RF as that will see the most use and give you the least cause for concern provided you aren't planning on shooting any deer in which case you will need .223 for Muntjac or CWD (not that I have seen one) and .243 min for everything else.

I wouldn't openly advocate shooting foxes with a .22RF because apparently it's againt home office guidelines and may not be allowed as stated on your certificate. That being said, the list of people I know who wouldn't shoot a fox with a .22RF at close range is rather erm on the short side.

Make of that what you will.

have you a copy of the wording on the certificate as something is very wrong, there is no way that you would be free to choose any .22 variant as the choice is massive and as stated you always at minimum have either a centrefire or rimfire mentioned. It should have permission to aquire written on it and that needs to have a specific caliber mentioned.

I'd say that's referring to a .22 rimfire. It must be said that it's not all that clear though! Sorry if you feel you're being humiliated on here, some of the guys do seem to forget that not everyone knows the ins and outs of firearms law and ballistics when they start out. The fact that you seem to know very little about the certificate you've been given is down to incompetence of your police force not you. I'm glad you have been on here asking these questions, maybe we can do a better job than your FEO at getting you started safely! Please don't be put off by the replies you've been given, I'm sure none are intended to make you feel unwelcome :good:

.22Cf is only granted for fox surely and would not be granted for vermin and ground game as a first time licence and you not having asked for a CF i wouldnt chance your arm even going near one. If you have a legitimate reason for wanting one then talk to your fao and get it ammened it only takes one thing to get the fao on your back and the next time you want something he might not be very accomidating. As always be responsible.

hi all,

thanks for all your comments, i've just had the FAO round and showed him the fac.

at first he said i could get any type of .22, so i told him the guns that i was looking at including centerfire rifles and he said that was ok, then when i mentioned the word hornet something must have clicked in his little brain and he went out to his car then came back and said that i couldn't get a hornet as this was a different class of rifle.

so that clears that up.

thanks again to everyone, i was getting a bit frustrated.

i'm now off on saturday to look at some rimfires and hopefully will be out with a new rifle in a couple of weeks :good:

cheers

brian.