lovely dog fox and 2 widgeon

tikkamark

Hello all i just wanted to share my lamping session from Christmas night/boxing day with my mate tomas :yay:

The night was not the most ideal it was very bright and very cold and almost every fox we came across was curled up in cover keeping warm i think thats why im seeing so many out during the day these past few days-the ground being to hard with frost and bright nights would not make it easy for the fox to get food during the night so they hunt during the day the reason im saying this is i seen 6 foxes the last 2 times i was out with the springer :beer:

But back to the topic the first spot we went to was very frustrating because we seen a good few but none were shootable because of lack of backstops and two foxes in particular that were really a pain in the ***-standing on top of a hill looking down at a small plantation of trees we spotted a pair of eyes definitely a fox and behind us in another patch of small trees another fox both curled up opening there eyes every now and then but i just could not make out a definite outline of either fox so i could not take a shot :good: we tried every thing to get them to sit up but these foxes were as cute as you could get-shouting,whistling and a lot of squeeking and squealing but both stayed rooted to the spot :good: it was not too pleasant lying down in the frost for about half an hour so we left them for another night :drinks:

Frustrated with that we went to spot number 2 a very large sheep farm with massive open hilly fields.We walked in without seeing much initially so we played the rabbit distress call for a bit and tomas spotted a pair of eyes in the distance the far side of a tree behind a large flock of sheep i still dont have a clue how he picked out that single pair of eyes amongst at least 500 pairs of eyes :no: we had to cross a tall barbed wire fence then up onto a hill to get a shot at him he was the far side of a valley on another hill walking along when i checked in the scope i could see it had a bird in its mouth i gave a quick squeal and it dropped to the ground looking straight at us really interested it was a very tricky shot i had to squeeze the bullet just under his jaw-to avoid a nasty wounding-into his chest a very small target at 170yards but i pulled it off ;) The bird was a lapwing that the fox must have just killed as it still had all its feathers.

dogfoxandlapwing.jpg

Just thought i would include a pic of the 2 widgeon i got yesterday flighting a flood out in a grassfield very happy with the shots a lovely left and right picked out of a group of about 16

2widgeon.jpg

Mark

Nice one T M , the tally of foxes is creeping up nicely !! and to bag it with the lapwing too :good:

Well done with the wigeon, they`ll make good eating if they`ve been on fresh marshes !

Thanks henry it was a really memorable shot at that fox definitely one i wont forget,franks idea of getting them mounted like that would look really well :drinks:

im looking forward to one of them widgeon roasted i gave the other one to a shooting mate i never ate a widgeon before so i cant wait to see what they taste like :good:

Thanks for all the replies lads :no:

A pic to send the RSPB I think.....great shot!

Jerry

Good idea sanders :lol: It would be relatively easy for a fox to catch the lapwings they seem pretty easy to sneak up on even with a lamp.

Charlie must surely nab a good few woodcock as well as they feed in the grass fields at night.

Paul in north Linc's-He was in impeccable condition with a nice thick coat with not a speck of dirt anywhere he would have been the perfect fox to get stuffed+mounted :sly:

I must add that the widgeon tasted fantastic :good: