Bumping posts

Guest The Outlaw

Guest The Outlaw

I have a good friend that was selling some bits on here and he is a newish member.

He bumped his post up as there wasnt much interest and got a pm from a mod telling him off :lol:

He didnt know it was naughty and took it on board, he sold some of them seperatly and had to add to his listing about what was left for sale and got another pm about it and the addition was removed and again and again. He has now had restrictions on his postings.

I can understand if he was deliberatley trying to bump after being told it was against the rules of the forum but he was making a genuine addition to the post.

I just looked at a post asking for a swap on guns and a few others and the seller has actually posted bump, so I looked at a few more and there are bumps everwhere.

What I am trying to say is that a new member is obviously scruitanised because we dont know them well and trust needs to be built up, but others that should know better seem to escape the bump police.

We all need to promote or sales and bumping openly should be stopped even though we all want to do it.

I do not know how the pm chat went with the mod in question so I am not having a dig at him, but the mods cant be on everyones case to stop this as the sales section is quite busy.

So please people stop bumping, a new member is upset and so are others because some get away with it and some dont.

Lets have a level playing field and stop giving the mods more work to do, maybe they can then do modding for the benefit of us by getting rid of scammers and not checking for blatant rule breaking.

We need to set good examples to new members and this isnt a good way to do it.

I am no angel and have never professed to be but can we all play by the rules on this one and set good examples for the sake of PW and new members.

Tony

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a good friend that was selling some bits on here and he is a newish member.

He bumped his post up as there wasnt much interest and got a pm from a mod telling him off :lol:

He didnt know it was naughty and took it on board, he sold some of them seperatly and had to add to his listing about what was left for sale and got another pm about it and the addition was removed and again and again. He has now had restrictions on his postings.

I can understand if he was deliberatley trying to bump after being told it was against the rules of the forum but he was making a genuine addition to the post.

I just looked at a post asking for a swap on guns and a few others and the seller has actually posted bump, so I looked at a few more and there are bumps everwhere.

What I am trying to say is that a new member is obviously scruitanised because we dont know them well and trust needs to be built up, but others that should know better seem to escape the bump police.

We all need to promote or sales and bumping openly should be stopped even though we all want to do it.

I do not know how the pm chat went with the mod in question so I am not having a dig at him, but the mods cant be on everyones case to stop this as the sales section is quite busy.

So please people stop bumping, a new member is upset and so are others because some get away with it and some dont.

Lets have a level playing field and stop giving the mods more work to do, maybe they can then do modding for the benefit of us by getting rid of scammers and not checking for blatant rule breaking.

I am no angel and have never professed to be but can we all play by the rules on this one and set good examples for the sake of PW and new members.

Tony

Bump :lol:

Tony

:lol::lol: well said.

Guest The Outlaw
Apologies for ignorance, but what does bumping actually mean ?

If you are selling something and it has no interest people( the seller) will add another post saying bump on to it or back to the top to keep the post at the top of the for sale thread.

Its is annoying for other sellers as they who dont bump get dropped back down the list.

Tony

It means deliberately bringing a thread back up to the top of the page by making a post in it, or by having a friend post something. This was a major problem in the for sale secton not so very long ago and is why we brought in the no bumping rule.

Things have gotton better, however some think that they can still sneak one in by adding to the post instead of editing their original post. Most bumps are removed, and PM's sent explaining the rules pinned at the top of the for sale section. The offenders are cautioned to edit their original posts however if they continue to bump their posts.....and it usually takes three additional bumps.... then they are placed on moderator approval or suspended for a certain time period.

If you notice bumping use the report a post button as yes we do miss some.

NTTF

Tony

New members are treated no differently than other members when it comes to "bumping", or anything else.

The "bump police" are the Moderators.

The problem arises when members do not read the House Rules, or the items pinned at the top of the Private Sales/Wanted sections.

Some "bumps" and other things may get missed, as Moderators don't have the time to read every single post on this Forum.

Although I wasn't involved in removing this members posts, I have exchanged PM's on the matter with him and I believe he now understands the situation.

Guest The Outlaw

I totaly agree with you Mr C and as I said I dont know how the pm chat went and the moderators have done what they believe to be right and I am not disagreeing with them I just ask everyone to play the game and play fairly.

I scruitanise new members because there are a lot of people who join and thier first post is a sale.

We have always had scammers on forums not just this one and it is hard enough to keep an eye on them let alone us lot and bumpers.

Tony

Guest The Outlaw
I would like to add that bumping also includes comments such as;

....I wish I lived closer

.....thats a good price

.....nice "whatever"

If it is a legitimate question, or legitamate advice we let them stand, however idal chit chat is removed.

NTTF

TTT is another one I have seen meaning I believe " too the top" and others.

you also get thier friends adding comments on thier behalf.

Tony

Tony

New members are treated no differently than other members when it comes to "bumping", or anything else.

The "bump police" are the Moderators.

The problem arises when members do not read the House Rules, or the items pinned at the top of the Private Sales/Wanted sections.

Some "bumps" and other things may get missed, as Moderators don't have the time to read every single post on this Forum.

Although I wasn't involved in removing this members posts, I have exchanged PM's on the matter with him and I believe he now understands the situation.

Mods, can you guys not set an auto rule whereby the forum sets the rules in the first post in any for new post.

example the poster/sellers post is typed out and the rules are put in at the bottom almost like a signature, im sure there is a default setting where this could be done.

as you've said a gallion of times " ignorence of the rules is not an excuse"

just a thought, it may stop some of the snipping and sniping at the mods, swinging of handbags, name calling and other childish actions.

Martin

I scruitanise new members because there are a lot of people who join and thier first post is a sale.

We have always had scammers on forums not just this one and it is hard enough to keep an eye on them let alone us lot and bumpers.

Tony

So when did you get you Mod badge then tony - or is this just a ploy to try and become one ;):oops:

Edited by tulkyuk

Guest The Outlaw

Tony

So when did you get you Mod badge then tony - or is this just a ploy to try and become one ;):oops:

I have offered :lol: :lol:

Trouble is you might not bump and I might, when we sell the same item, mine gets sold and yours dont, If I were you I would be annoyed, a sad example I know.

But if the mods are happy with everything there is no need for them :lol: only joking :lol:

You cant blame the moderators for doing this, after all imagine if this site wasnt kept in check it would be bursting at the seams with spam and advertisments on the site.Take a look at some of the other less well managed forums out there and you will see why its necessary to stop bumping and other similar activities, some sites out there have so much junk on them you cant see past it to view the original topics.

Guest The Outlaw

I get the impression from some of the replies already to this thread people think I am Mod bashing, I am not mod bashing, I am trying to help with thier work load and highlight a problem.

I hope people read the first post thoroughly and realise this.

Tony

tony dont worry , we should be used to all this now. sometime you cant say right for saying wrong.the simple remedy to this is read the rules and make sure you stick with them.it will make all of the postin and the mods work easier if this is done.we all sit here typing away to enjoy it gain advice and tips give advice and tips and for the general natter.i would,nt worry,it doesn,t seem to me you are being untoward againt the mods or the original post.

I don't see you mod bashing tbh.

Over on THL they have their mandatory rules in plain sight at the top of each section, different notices for each section if you get me. There so no one can say "Sorry, I didn't click the link/read the rules." as they are in plain view. You'll always get the few but it would improve things here I think. Here's what it reads;

Mandatory

- All topics must state either 'For Sale' or 'Wanted' and a short description of the item(s) in the Topic Title.

- All For Sale topics must state location (or 'by post') and include a price within the opening topic post.

- All Wanted topics must state location and how far they would be willing to collect from.

- No topic may be 'bumped' or repeated more frequently than once a week.

All MODs are can and will completely delete, without warning, any topic which fails to meet these rules.

Any topic which appears to be 'puppy peddling' or selling fake / copy DVDs will also be deleted.

In addition:

- location and price should be included in the Topic Description to make scanning adds easier.

Recently they made it so unless you're a donator to the site you can't sell any items. I disagree entirely with that policy and have said as much but thems the rules. (Don't do it here though or I'll have to get thick ;)).

Thing is, bumps will never be gotten rid of. It's dependent on the person doing the bumping, they may do it innocently, thickly, or just to get a rise out of people.

I agree that a lot of problems do arise from people not reading the rules. I'm sure I break them myself the odd time but when I do (if I'm aware of it) it's to help folks out or give examples like in the other site's policy above.

Not disagreeing with anyone here, but I'm not convinced we should be able to edit a sales post in ANY way.

Some of us go back to ammend the price if we lower it or change the price if we sell it; this COULD allow us to change the description of what was on sale after someone has viewed it and decided to buy it.