baikals

petersclan

Absolutely solid (albeit heavy) functional shotguns. No frills don't look pretty but do what they say on the tin. Usually heavily choked, but nothing that a gunsmith can't sort out there.

At the end of the day they are cheap and reliable and it doesn't much matter if you scratch them in cover, drop them, tread on them or club something to death with them (joke). They will still work and still be worth the same amount of money to someone. :unsure:

Absolutely solid (albeit heavy) functional shotguns. No frills don't look pretty but do what they say on the tin. Usually heavily choked, but nothing that a gunsmith can't sort out there.

At the end of the day they are cheap and reliable and it doesn't much matter if you scratch them in cover, drop them, tread on them or club something to death with them (joke). They will still work and still be worth the same amount of money to someone. :lol:

:unsure:

My dad has an old side by side (20 years old at least I think) and it has been treated terribly over the course of its life but it will probably outlive me anyway. When I put carts in her she still goes bang. What more do you need from a budget shotgun.

I am never going to be a great shot so dont feel I need the cream of guns to enjoy the sport.I use a Baikal s/s ij 58.It doesnt look vastly different from my AYA matador.Not any heavier than other sbs,s either.Its half and full choke but I seem to hit most of what I point at.Good solid gun,not had that long so look forward to getting used to it.Nice raised rib too.Woodwork ok.Ventilated recoil pad.Great bad weather gun . So a big :blink: from me. Good value for £150.

In the 70's, Baikal intoduced limited edition, very fine and handsome, side by side quality game guns - far more expensive than their run-of-the-mill models. I only have memories of the photographs; the guns looked the bee's knees with slender straight-hand grips. (Do I recall a sidelock, too?)

Anyone out there remember these guns?

FC

solid workhorse they go on for ever

had a baikal o/u before and had to sell it.... soon as was able went out and bought another just the same as loved it, i have even took single barrel to clay school and suprisingly got on very well with it. budget guns seem to be very strong even though old

looking forward now to taking my master to clay school!!!!!!!! only fired 4 cartridges through it so far but felt good

First shotgun was a baikal, custom model, it looked a bit better than the basic one , better wood too. Ou for i think 125 quid and a couple of boxes of s&b paper case. It was full and 3/4, but lapping it out was dear so i sent off the action to a mail order dealer and it came back with a spare set of barrels in imp/imp. It did clays, pigeons,rough,beaters days under pheasants. Often wonder if it is still about getting a regular airing or left in a cabinet unloved.

Halcyon days :blink:

Brilliant guns, go on and on. I've never owned a shotgun that is so robust or has the ability to resist fouling of the bores. One pull through with the bore snake and they shine like mirrors again. :good:

post-1306-1200396661.jpg

was looking for s/s baikal recently but could not find one, just out of interest what are you paying for your baikals

Are you sitting down!!!

Cheque book at the ready, just look at the engraving sir :no:

Both the guns are minters and were picked up for £195 the pair!!

Keep 'em peeled, loads out there and were picked up in my travels from small town gunshops.

You won't be lamenting the scratched stock on these ******* as my mate was with his Beretta silver pig during a rough shoot involving barbed wire fence climbing :good:

Edited by caplock

Just for memories! In 1973, the proprietor of 'Trapshot', (great guy), as a return favour, for supplying him with Bofors JK6 and Nobel 80/82 powders, took me into 'Big N' Cash and Carry, where I stood chest deep in Baikals, newly delivered from Millard Bros.

'Have as many as you like from twelve quid apiece', he invited.

I did!

Happy days!

Just for memories! In 1973, the proprietor of 'Trapshot', (great guy), as a return favour, for supplying him with Bofors JK6 and Nobel 80/82 powders, took me into 'Big N' Cash and Carry, where I stood chest deep in Baikals, newly delivered from Millard Bros.

'Have as many as you like from twelve quid apiece', he invited.

I did!

Happy days!

lucky ******