Gutted and double gutted

Blackbart

Found out today that the shoot that i beat/shoot on is finished at the end of this season.

The land was bought earlier this year by 2 very wealthy people.They bought all the land including 3 adjoining farms for £18 million.The farms and land were owned by the church commisioners and the farmers leased them.

The shoot has been going since the fifties and i have been shooting and beating there for 17 year.They have offered to lease the shoot back to us for £15000 per year!!which is ridiculous as we would have to turn it into a full commercial shoot to cover those sort of costs.As it is mostly the local farmers and 3 or 4 friends who pay into it at the moment and a lot of the work feeding etc is done by the beaters in return for shooting, costs have been kept down,Just to cap it all i will be also loosing 2000 acres of permission as they have said they want to "develope the shooting"as a revenue.

On a small bright note as of next sat we are having a continuos beaters day starting 9 am till the 1st of feb <_< To start it off we are having semi-auto saturday....yes its not sporting but we are determined to leave them as little game as possible,as you can imagine we are pretty peed off!(ps anybody shoots any vermin they will be fined :huh: )

So when does the Fox releasing programme go into operation? I hope you've invited as many other local shooters as you can find to help you get the birds to the game dealer. On a more positive note though, will these toffs not need beaters and keepers to work for them? It could be good to stay on the right side of them and see how things go?

So when does the Fox releasing programme go into operation? I hope you've invited as many other local shooters as you can find to help you get the birds to the game dealer. On a more positive note though, will these toffs not need beaters and keepers to work for them? It could be good to stay on the right side of them and see how things go?

We shot 68 foxes on this land 07 life could be made very difficult for them as we have the full backing of the farmers on it

Sorry to learn of your situation. Is the shoot capable of being developed to such an extent that the new owners could realistically command a £15,000 rental.

If not your shoot could make a realistic bid and leave it on the table. Its a pity that you need to take the action that you are, but I can not see how anyone would blame you for doing so.

Don't forget, as one door closes, another is often just about to slam in your face!

Good luck, and straight shooting.

webber

The shoot is developed quite well as it has been going 55 years already!

We have 22 drives,4 duck ponds,10 pheasant release pens,2 partridge release pens,in excess of 100 feeders,high seats,beaters trailer,quad,shooters cabin on 2 of the farms(for lunch)and the list goes on.

There is more you could do to it, game crops,trapping etc but then there is always more you could do to any shoot but where do you draw the line?We dont pay any rent at the moment as the farmers land it covers are both syndicate members and the others pay a fee which covers costs,no profit is made.If there is any surplus it is put towards extra birds for the next year.We have planted trees,dug ponds,created a marsh and it is realy annoying that we are going to loose it all to someone who hasnt put any graft in to turn it into what it is today.

With 22 drives, 4 duck ponds etc., it sounds like quite an acreage. <_<

I would suggest you continue with your existing plans, but then sit back and watch.

I was a member of a syndicate that rented a woodland shoot about 8 years ago , that consisted of three adjoining blocks of land.

Two of the blocks were sold to a "rich investor" in the November and although the terms of the sale were that we could finish the season, the Shoot Captain was advised that the rent for the following season would increase from £2500 to £13500.

It would also only be rented on a year to year basis.

The syndicate turned it down and found alternative woodlands about 10 miles away.

The "rich investor" then contacted the Shoot Captain again, just as we started the new season on our new Shoot.

His Agent offered us the shooting rights at the original £2500 which was rejected.

They then offered it at £1000, with a 3 year rolling lease.

This was also rejected (as we had found a better "home"), but we found out later that the land was sold on and those that had enquired were having difficulty in finding out who the new owners were.

So things don't always turn out as you think they will.

Ok there was a meeting with the new owners on monday and it was made clear that it didnt realy matter what offer was made to them they didnt want to lease the shooting to any one.They do want birdies being shot there,but you will have to use a different kind of weapon,ie...a taylormade or mizuno!!!!YES...they are turning the whole lot into an "******* golf course" as you can imagine this has gone down realy well with the farmers who actualy live there and farm the land never mind us who shoot there,instead of a gamecrop out the window they will be looking at the bunkers around the first hole!!Thats if they are allowed to stay in their house,cos you never know it may just be in the way.

thats interesting and quite surprising in another way. Agricultural tenancies are usually pretty hard to evict the farmers from, but its by no means certain as presumably planning hasn't been granted yet. Make sure you know where all the badger setts are and any other possible protected species and you might be able to be a fly in the ointment during the planning process

We only have 1 badger set and its in a wood and i think the course would be around the woods cos they are well spaced out so they wouldnt be evicting any badgers.Cant think of any other reasons (protected species) that would block it,but as you say planning hasnt been given yet(i dont think)but as they say money talks.They are trying to buy the mansion house that is next to our shoot to use that as clubhouse/hotel and that is gonna cost them another 5-6 million.

My mate just phoned me, he is at the shoot now collecting feeders from the woods,we have over a hundred to collect in the next few days.

We only have 1 badger set and its in a wood and i think the course would be around the woods cos they are well spaced out so they wouldnt be evicting any badgers.Cant think of any other reasons (protected species) that would block it,but as you say planning hasnt been given yet(i dont think)but as they say money talks.They are trying to buy the mansion house that is next to our shoot to use that as clubhouse/hotel and that is gonna cost them another 5-6 million.

My mate just phoned me, he is at the shoot now collecting feeders from the woods,we have over a hundred to collect in the next few days.

Seems to be all moving too fast for a proposed development which doesn't yet have a Planning Consent. There could be years ahead yet before any plans are approved, especially once all the consultees have their say during the Planning process.

you want to start looking for birds of prey and the likes of great crested newts and bats in farm buildings etc can cause all sorts of issues to them. Money does talk but planners do like to be difficult at times

Seems to be all moving too fast for a proposed development which doesn't yet have a Planning Consent. There could be years ahead yet before any plans are approved, especially once all the consultees have their say during the Planning process.

They have owned the land for nearly a year now and i dont know how far down the line any planning has gone as they have kept everyone in the dark,it took the farmers months before they even found out who actually owned it now.

They have owned the land for nearly a year now and i dont know how far down the line any planning has gone as they have kept everyone in the dark,it took the farmers months before they even found out who actually owned it now.

If a Planning Application had been lodged they would have been required to notify their tenant farmers as occupiers of the land.

If a Planning Application had been lodged they would have been required to notify their tenant farmers as occupiers of the land.

I dont think there is plans lodged cos as you say no one has been informed,but they are very devious as nobody knew it was up for sale in the first place and negotiations had been going on for a year before it was purchased and the first anybody knew of it was when the letter fell through the door saying you have a new landlord.