Woodwork Advice - Yes Ferret Related

ShaggyRS6

I have not got a clue about woodwork, in fact I used to bunk of lessons at school and go down the snooker club.

I am going to want to be building some little wooden boxes to go into my court for my Ferrets to sleep in. How? What wood? Do I use no nails? What tools do I need?

I have not got a scooby

your quite right u have an RS6 lol. im so sad :unsure:

to the topic. i would recomend ply wood, easy to use, cheap and will last. dont bother with the expensive wood as it will just be a waste. the only advantage being that it may look better. but being a compete novice i wouldnt use it.

for securing the wood i would use wood glue and then pin it together(very small nails). for extra security.

if you're screwing marine ply joints will be difficult unless you use some battening at the edges and screw all screws into that. Otherwise you'll end up splitting the ply

:good:

and take your time, drill pilot holes prior to fixing screws, get a sharp saw and let it do the work when cutting - don't having your arm going like you're... well, erm, doing something involving moving your arm quickly.... :good:

still reckon PAM's the best option :unsure: but good luck anyway!

Shaggy

With respect, you are employing the wrong method here by attempting to use DIY, when due to your lack of knowledge, I trust that it was not one of my woodwork classes that you bunked off from, you now need to apply the GALMI principle to solve your problem.

webber

if you're screwing marine ply joints will be difficult unless you use some battening at the edges and screw all screws into that. Otherwise you'll end up splitting the ply

Oooops, I should have mentioned that when I use marine ply (bird boxes), I do use battens and I start the screw hole with a drill.

I suggested marine ply as I assumed that the boxes would be a bit exposed to the weather.

Shaggy

With respect, you are employing the wrong method here by attempting to use DIY, when due to your lack of knowledge, I trust that it was not one of my woodwork classes that you bunked off from, you now need to apply the GALMI principle to solve your problem.

webber

Dont take offense. I also bunked of off Metal Work, Maths, and Physics :unsure:

Shaggy

webber

Dont take offense. I also bunked of off Metal Work, Maths, and Physics :unsure:

So thats 2 of my subjects you bunked off from. No wonder you now need to ask so many questions.

I did expect you asking what GALMI principle was.

webber

One little tip I can pass on is to work out the sizes of what ever it is you want to make beforehand on a sheet of paper to scale to avoid any wasteage, then pop down to your local B&Q where they cut everything from a full size 8 x 4 sheet, I think the first 4 cuts are free, all the cuts have no splinters & are perectly straight :huh:

If you've worked it out correctly on paper its a simple matter of srewing it all together.... Oh & a pilot drill is essential!

I'm a chippie by trade & have all the equipment to do this myself, but I'm lazy, I've made all my ferret housing this way & it takes next to no time to do :mad:

SS