Good day on the rape........

Catamong

Gave the clays miss today as the forecast was for strong winds so decided to shoot a field of rape that had been hammered by the grey hordes recently.

I recce'd the field yesterday and all was well, a flock of probably over 1,000 birds was feeding hard at lunchtime so I decided to give it a go.

I put a rope banger out on a nearby field to keep them on the move, also a mate of mine was covering another nearby field, I got set up before dawn, the first birds appeared at 7.30 just as I was setting up the rotary.

I was dead lucky in that my favoured hide position was right alongside a private farm road, so I drove right to the hide position, what a godsend..!!

They started coming from all points of the compass, always a good sign, and some vast flocks came in during the first hour.

I had the wind and the sun right behind me, pretty much perfect, and it was a strong wind too, ideal for pigeon shooting.

By 9am I had 28 on the clicker, then there was a bit of a lull, then they came in again really strongly until about 11.30, then another 20 minute lull, then it picked up again and was pretty steady until about 2.30, when they just stopped coming.

I had a break of about 20 minutes to talk to a guy who had parked up at the bottom of the track and was watching me with bino's, it turns out he shoots locally too, and a good few came in to the pattern whilst I was away so that cost me one or two.

I ended up with 105 on the clicker, but I actually picked up 106, (I must have forgot to click a couple of kills in the heat of the moment..!!), but I burned up 167 shells, ah well, it was windy..!! :rolleyes:

I was pretty pleased with that, decent bags are always a struggle on Winter rape, it goes to show that if you do your homework, get other fields covered, and the weather is right, you've got a chance.

Will post some pics when I get a minute.

Cat.

Well done Cat :rolleyes:

interesting to see the magnet in the front corner of the pattern :wub:

must of been nice to shoot the birds head on :lol:

Well done mate nice to see the photoes how much do you rate the magnet what difference has it made to your decoying .I am thinking of buying one managed with out one for years so i would value your oppinion cheers :good:

Well done mate nice to see the photoes how much do you rate the magnet what difference has it made to your decoying .I am thinking of buying one managed with out one for years so i would value your oppinion cheers :good:

I wouldn't go out without the magnet, in fact I'd put two out if I felt it needed it, the more movement the better.

OK, you've still got to be in the right place on the right field on the right day, but certainly on Winter rape, it brings 'em in a treat.

Cat.

I wouldn't go out without the magnet, in fact I'd put two out if I felt it needed it, the more movement the better.

OK, you've still got to be in the right place on the right field on the right day, but certainly on Winter rape, it brings 'em in a treat.

Cat.

Thanks for that cat i'll give it a go then cheers

Cracking bag there Cat :rolleyes:

Myself, Pin & Garyb were round your neck of the woods today doing a bit of ferreting, were you opposite the pub of dubious clientele?

I'm noticing a huge build up of birds round my way on the rape aswell, I'm planning a day where 10 plus guns are gonna cover most of South Herts to keep em on the move:lol: Give us a bell if your interested.

On another note, something you pointed out last year, in a 1000 strong flock outside my back gate every morning is a pure white woodpigeon, whats the likelthood of this being the one you saw last year?

SS

Cracking bag there Cat :good:

Myself, Pin & Garyb were round your neck of the woods today doing a bit of ferreting, were you opposite the pub of dubious clientele?

I'm noticing a huge build up of birds round my way on the rape aswell, I'm planning a day where 10 plus guns are gonna cover most of South Herts to keep em on the move:lol: Give us a bell if your interested.

On another note, something you pointed out last year, in a 1000 strong flock outside my back gate every morning is a pure white woodpigeon, whats the likelthood of this being the one you saw last year?

SS

Hi SS,

Yes, I was actually on the hill behind that "dodgy" pub, it's always a good spot, and the Farmer's a bit choosy about who he lets on there, so it doesn't get overshot.

I'm up for a "keep 'em on the move day", lack of time is my biggest problem, I'm in France next weekend, the weekend after that I'm helping the Bucks team give those Essex pansies a good whooping, there's just never enough time..!!

That white bird could well be the one I saw, I've not seen it since on my patch, so it's obviously moved on, perhaps down your way.

And before some bright spark says "It's a feral", I can assure you it's not, I had the binos on it for a good few minutes and it was most definitely a white woodie.

Cat.

Yep I can back you up on the white woodie, had him in the bins aswell definatly wood pigeon, i'll try & get a pic.

I've told all the lads round here not to shoot him as he's a great at pinpointing different flocks, where they're flighting & the range they're travelling.

As you could imagine trying to organize 10 plus guns over 1000's of acre of land on the ultimate decoying day is a logistical nightmare, I'll let you know when :good:

As for being "behind the dodgy pub, up the hill & being a good spot" I'd keep that to yourself, especially with the impending meeting with the Essex gaylords :oops::P

SS