alternative to pigeon magnet

pete evans

in shooting times today there is letter from a guy who has mounted a full body decoy on a toy car (battery operated) the car is then attached to a stake via a piece of string!

this chap recons it works well and at 5 quid is the biz. anyone else used anything like this with any success?

pete

jim,the letter read as follows;

for all the pigeon shooters who cannot afford a pigeon magnet,i would like to share with them my 4x4 decoy.as you can see its an h&h decoy over a battery powered toy car.pegged out on stubble or drillings it goes round in circles and really pulls in the pigeons.the car only cost £4;95 and the decoy i bought years ago,but i think they are about a fiver.

got to say i think its a wind up but who knows ?

Ive also seen this article in shooting times. I seriously doubt that the builder has tried his invention outside his own garden. The wheels on the car are far too small to be of any serious use in the field. Thats not to say that a modified version with say 4" wheels may not work; but as Cranfield has pointed out, hes never seen a pigeon walking round in circles, neither have I. Similarly Ive never seen one with four wheel drive, but who knows what human inginuity and genetically modified crops will create.

It would be interesting to learn of the success of such a gadget, but I shant be rushing into the workshop. Im now trying to invent a gadget to carry the gadgets. Rest assured pigeon watch members will be the first to know!

webber :)

Sounds Like a Pigeon CARousel.. or Perhaps a MG MAGNET ( If any of you can remember them!)

I agree with Cranfield... Just watch the pigeons when they are hovering over the deaks picking a place to land... the floaters do a great job of imitating this.. as does Deakos Electronic flapper. I have just bought one and used it twice with great results.. me thinks the Pine wood magnet is going into cold storage this year.

FM

Yes Fine cars mate they dont make em like that any more.

When I was 7 or 8 we used to be taken to Sunday School by a local spinster called Miss Money in her Magnet. Before the days of seat belt legislation... 5 of us in the back hanging out of the window scuffing the leather seats.. 2 more in the front.. Wehhaaay...I can still smell the leather and hear the whirring diff as she pulled away up the road... Magic.

When she died 15 years later she left the car to a friend who used to work for her in the garden of her house... he still has it I believe..

My Grandfather also had a Wolsey 16/60... what a small world... and a tank of a car called a Humber Hawk which was a real concrete lamp post flattener! :)

:) I can feel a new thread developing here with everyone thinking up the name of an old car that could be linked to shooting.

OK then i will start it off with one to make sure you don't inadvertantly shoot too near a prohibited area.

Riley PATHFINDER. :)

MG SPECKLEDHEN (pheasant and BEER) :)

:) Er Brian, don't think you have got the gist of this mate, the name has to be of a car that has actually been produced and not one that you would like produced.

jimDfish, I think you can have your version of Corsair, :P

Daimler Dart. (obtuse, I know, but I was thinking.........Archery ;) )

:blink: A bit iffy that one Cranfield because if you speak to an ex Daimler employee(such as me), the name Dart never existed and the car is called the SP250.

It was originally called the Dart of course but after threats of massive legal action from Dodge of America, the name was deleted from all Daimler records. Not from public memory though. B)