Stubborn nuts

Pedro

In an effort to undo the top nut on one of the forks on the CB500, I've ended up rounding it off and am now stuck as to what to do.

I put a search into google for "stubborn nuts" and it came up with something called Irwin Grip Nuts. They seem a pretty good bit of kit and look as though they'll sort the problem out.

Has anybody tried them or could recommend anything else- I don't have access to red and black, so that's out of the running.

A very peeved and embarassed Pedro :)

What kind of socket are you using on the nuts?

I find that sometimes a good 6 point impact socket will turn a head that a normal 12 point socket will slip round on. The impact sockets have convex sides too so they grip the middle of the flats and not the corners.

3_4stdm.jpg

Cheers Gents. I've just tried the grinding new flats method, (with a Dremmel that I only bought at the weekend -spooky :) ), but the mole grips still end up slipping round - and they're on bloody tight too!

I haven't got any Stilsons, but I go past a Machine Mart in Ilford on the way into work this pm, so I'll pop in there. Any thoughts on those Grip Nuts al4x , 'cos Machine Mart do them too?

The nuts beyond hope now, so it'll have to be a new one anyway.

P.

As suggested, I would buy a cheapo cooks gas blowtorch and dribble plenty of wd40 down into the threads, heat up just the nut from the side and when good and glowing use a set of stilsons, failing that I have used a sharp 6"cold chisle and a club "ammer, tapping the nut off by cutting into the nut....... just make sure your tapping it the right way to undo it.. dooohh. :blink:

Good luck anyway

;) D2D

I have some guys on site at the mo doing some Bolt tensioning on a similar problem.

They are travelling right past you down the A12 this afternoon when they have finished my job. They'll sort the problem quickly as the Hydrotight machine can release tension up to 1400nm.

Only problem is they charge £2300.00 per day- Do you want me to book them?:blink:?

Is it alloy - in which case the welding is out?

Not if you have an AC-DC tig welder or Mig welder running Alloy wire. Been there done that.

I have in the past, welded bars onto nuts and bolts for use a leverage. But you need to make a really strong weld (usually mig) and make sure you clean all the zink/chrome off with the angle grinder. Several lines of weld on 150amps and give it a good pull/push. As said above the heat from welding can help, but usually heat expands metal which in theory makes it tighter.. so this only works for heating up thread lock/corrosion etc.

As for bar, try to use something sturdy and 2 foot or more in length. 12mm bar should be sturdy enough. Once you have 'cracked' the nut/bolt, you will need to grind the bar off if you cannot turn it all the way round due to bars/mirrors etc, and finish the job with mole grips.

When welding on vehicles, always disconect the battery or you will cause damage to the electronics systems. :blink:

Edited by Hunter