.223 rifle suggestions

Glynn

Hi

Looking at getting my first centre fire rifle, I have a .223 slot on my licence and and trying to make my mind up on what to go for. I have looked at the remmington 700 police and the tika t3 and both seem like good rifles, any suggestions or reviews on these or other rifles would be good. Cheers

Edited to add: you may want to get this thread moved to the Guns & Equipment section, to get the most replies.....

Glynn, this subject has been the topic of much heated debate on here and other forums.

I own a Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless in .223 and I have a Remmie 700 VSF in .22-250 in my cabinet. My own opinion is contingent on whether you want a rifle that will shoot well from the word go, or whether you want to have to customise the rifle before it'll shoot well.

My Tikka shot well from day one, and it still does. It's a big, heavy rifle and it's only used for shooting off a rest or from a vehicle. The trigger breaks like glass. I can't really fault the rifle's accuracy.

The Remmie shoots well now after the addition of a Rifle Basix trigger, an aftermarket barrel and a lot of smithing work. It shoots very well now though, but on a day-to-day level I prefer the Tikka. I like the Tikka's box mag and the .223's mild manners compared to the punchy .22-250.

The key thing is to try as many brands and models as you can. If I was right-handed I would look at Ruger, Steyr, Browning and Winchester. Don't just make a decision based on lots of highly subjective comments on a forum!

Edited by Baldrick

Edited to add: you may want to get this thread moved to the Guns & Equipment section, to get the most replies.....

Glynn, this subject has been the topic of much heated debate on here and other forums.

I own a Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless in .223 and I have a Remmie 700 VSF in .22-250 in my cabinet. My own opinion is contingent on whether you want a rifle that will shoot well from the word go, or whether you want to have to customise the rifle before it'll shoot well.

My Tikka shot well from day one, and it still does. It's a big, heavy rifle and it's only used for shooting off a rest or from a vehicle. The trigger breaks like glass. I can't really fault the rifle's accuracy.

The Remmie shoots well now after the addition of a Rifle Basix trigger, an aftermarket barrel and a lot of smithing work. It shoots very well now though, but on a day-to-day level I prefer the Tikka. I like the Tikka's box mag and the .223's mild manners compared to the punchy .22-250.

The key thing is to try as many brands and models as you can. If I was right-handed I would look at Ruger, Steyr, Browning and Winchester. Don't just make a decision based on lots of highly subjective comments on a forum!

Baldrick pretty well sums it up, go to your local range and try as many as you can, most shooters will be pleased to let you play with their pet. Personally I'm a Ruger fan, accurate out of the box, well made, good looking, but if we all liked the same woman, there would be one hell of scrap!

but if we all liked the same woman, there would be one hell of scrap!

:good::lol: Classic :lol:

I own a t3 tactical and am seriously impressed with it she shot 1/2" groups from day 1 and they continue to get tighter each time i get to check :lol: its not to heavy and very manageable

Mark

i have the t3 synthetic stock has shot well from day 1 shoots tight groups with factory ammo 55gn sako soft point and even tighter with federal 55gn bt v-shock never give me any trouble,but am sure someone has had some probs with 1, all down to the individuals choice and as so many have said try as meny as you can first but great caliber and cheap :good:

Edited by lock&load

• 3 weeks later...

Have a word with Dave Ryan at Minsterley ranges.

He had a rifle returned to him and I watched him shoot a .25" (100 yards)with it, straight from a customer who could not shoot it.

I have an old BSA century .22 I got for £50. I put four shots into .08" then the fifth made it 0.5" so who can really say what will work or not.

0.08"/0.5" in the original post, not 0.05". Not sure I could estimate 0.08" mind you.

Forgot to say I have the T3 Lite for fox work and I am very happy with it, especially for the price. All you need unless you are shooting targets, or foxes over 250 yards IMHO.

Edited by Macnab

Tikka has a long bolt travel in .223 because the actions are all the same length. Remington don't seem to do many removable magazine models and people feel the need to upgrade them so they shoot well. I've just got a .223 slot and have gone for a laminated CZ Varmint. They're very accurate and have a set trigger which I'm told can be adjusted to be very smooth. If not a rifle basix trigger is only £40. They have a removable 5 round mag and a choice of stocks, and only cost £500. The action is scaled to fit the shorter case. The only thing I've found to be a downside on the CZs I've handled is the bolt isn't as smooth as on my Tikka 6.5x55. That doesn't bother me too much, they're cheap and accurate which is what matters most to me! If you want to spend a little more (800ish) then the Mannlichers are well worth a look. Very nice and not silly money :w00t:

Forgot to say I have the T3 Lite for fox work and I am very happy with it, especially for the price. All you need unless you are shooting targets, or foxes over 250 yards IMHO.

:w00t:

But having had some good groups with 77 grainers would say good to 500 yrds :w00t:

Only in daylight for me though draw the line at 250 in yrds in the dark :w00t:

sounds like the tika and remmington are good rifles, i have a cz 527 in 223 and it is very accurate. if i can just add that i have had a cz rifle in various calibres for 30 years and never had any trouble at all. so maybe there are lots of very good makes out there in 223. perhaps you should be asking if anybody can tell of a make you should steer clear of

Well to add another brand to the mix, I shoot a Howa in.223 and love it, I actually prefer it the my sako, this may be todo with it being a 223 more than the gun though. Great gun and they are a very good price and accurate from the box.

Cheers Jon

Ps its the rifle in my aviator.

Hi

Looking at getting my first centre fire rifle, I have a .223 slot on my licence and and trying to make my mind up on what to go for. I have looked at the remmington 700 police and the tika t3 and both seem like good rifles, any suggestions or reviews on these or other rifles would be good. Cheers

Ordered my Remington 700 LTR 20" accuracy international thumb hole stock 5 shot removable mag, pes mod and Leupold 6-20-50 in Jan, but cant tell you much about it because it ain't landed yet, courtesy of Helston gun shop. :w00t::w00t::lol: . Hard choice good luck. :w00t: