Guns and Public Transport

Hi all, i have a gun licence but as of yet not a car licence. Being sort of new to this sport, i want to get around. But with out a car i'm finding it differcult to do so, till i pass my test. My question is to you, is it legal to carry a unloaded shotgun in a secure gun safe or bag in/on public transport like train or buses. Do you need to tell the police that your doing so or just check with what ever service provider you intend to travel with. Any advice would be gratefully recieved. :no: :yp: ;)

You should be fine, some train companies specifically exclude it from their "ticket terms and conditions" (as do some airlines). Legally, given you meet the age requirements and possess the correct tickets you can take an unloaded shotgun in any public place as long as it is suitably covered.

Edited by pin

You should be fine, some train companies specifically exclude it from their "ticket terms and conditions" (as do some airlines). Legally, given you meet the age requirements and possess the correct tickets you can take an unloaded shotgun in any public place as long as it is suitably covered.

:no: I have had mine in the shopping trolley at Sainsburys.

I was a a red wine mission :yp:

LB

I once tried to get a company to deliver an airgun to my workplace - I had it OK'd by my boss. The company refused, not because it wasn't my home address but because I'd have to transport it home on the train and they felt that doing so might cause unspecified problems.

In hindsight I'm glad about it because it was a crappy Chinese rifle I wanted for plinking but shortly afterwards I noticed a number of rats were using my garden as a thoroughfare so I bought a proper air rifle from a proper company.

With firearms law, public transport law and local by-laws all getting in on the act, it's a legal minefield. Ask your local FEO, he is the one who should have the local knowledge and experience to sort this one. If he can't help, he should be able to give you the phone number of someone at HQ who can.

The actual laws state that you may carry an unloaded shotgun in a public place, without specifying whether it has to be covered or not.

Unlike an airifle that specifically has to be covered to prevent firing.

I walked through tain carrying my Baikal side/side in a plastic bag. No one batted an eyelid, but then again this is up north where guns are still used as tools, not weapons.

I walked through tain carrying my Baikal side/side in a plastic bag. No one batted an eyelid, but then again this is up north where guns are still used as tools, not weapons.

you've never been to an old firm game then sam??

The actual laws state that you may carry an unloaded shotgun in a public place, without specifying whether it has to be covered or not.

:good: Not exactly true Sam, paragraph 17.8, Section 19 states;

section 19 makes it an offence to have in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on the accused) a loaded air weapon or a loaded shotgun, or any other firearm, whether loaded or not, together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm. Care should be taken to ensure that those who may have lawful authority or reasonable excuse to carry firearms in a public place are notunnecassarily inconvenienced.

Ergo; it is an offence to have a weapon in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse. Your certificate is the lawful authority, you therefore do not (in theory) need the reasonable excuse as the wording is or.

Carrying a gun uncovered in a public place would probably come under the offensive weapons in a public place laws.

hi mate,

as long as it is covered and not loaded "you have no problem".

if you do tell certain people that you will be carrying a fire arm then of course they are going to ask questions..

best keep it shoosh as long as its covered and not loaded and you hold the relevant fac then you have no problem..

watch warning places as they may just call the police and you could have problems..

i have got on loads of public transport "even buses" as i do noy drive either..

best keep it shoosh and un recognise able to the public..

:good: Not exactly true Sam, paragraph 17.8, Section 19 states;

section 19 makes it an offence to have in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on the accused) a loaded air weapon or a loaded shotgun, or any other firearm, whether loaded or not, together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm. Care should be taken to ensure that those who may have lawful authority or reasonable excuse to carry firearms in a public place are notunnecassarily inconvenienced.

Ergo; it is an offence to have a weapon in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse. Your certificate is the lawful authority, you therefore do not (in theory) need the reasonable excuse as the wording is or.

Carrying a gun uncovered in a public place would probably come under the offensive weapons in a public place laws.

Indeed, check the sentance 'loaded shotgun'.

Harv - I think you will find that we a little further north than that........

Sorry but this is really dumb advice to a newbie who may be reading this thread B) :good::yes:

People have been shot by the police for less, even carrying furniture items.

MAKE SURE YOUR GUN IS SECURLY COVERED AT ALL TIMES IN PUBLIC PLACES!! or you will be on the next days news paper :blink:

Regarding firearms and public transport, check with the company you wish to travel with. Most companies have a website with specidic details of the terms and conditions of the ticket you buy. Read it carefully, and take it seriously. Dont rely on what people say or 'think' as its your neck on the line. And possibly your life if it gets that serious :unsure:

All it takes is one anti/Joe Bloggs do gooder to call up the police and say theres a man with a gun. It has happened, and will continue to happen.

Edited by Hunter

Might be better to carry it broken down so it doesn't look like a gun and put in a hard case, you could then put a black bag round it and no one would know what it was.

They may even mistake it for a chair leg!

But in all seriousness, if you must use peasant wagons, like the saying goes "don't be a fool, wrap your tool!"

Indeed, but is useful to sometimes have an insight into the finer points.

There is a time for esoteric debate and there is a time for some commonsense advice to a new shooter.

If you want to be the test case (or should that be "nutcase") who tries to get on a bus or train with an uncovered shotgun, or air weapon, thats your business, but its wrong to suggest to someone asking the question , that this is an acceptable practise.

If I ever had to use public transport (fortunately i don't..) to collect/deliver a shotgun I would always cover it up. I would even go to the extent of using a trigger lock too. You get some proper di**heads use the buses and seeing someone with a shotgun may just spur them into trying to take it from you.

As has already been mentioned, use common sense whenever transporting any rifle/shotgun etc. It takes time and money to acquire a licence for the above but only moments to lose it and be banged up or worse.

:good: I have had mine in the shopping trolley at Sainsburys.

I was a a red wine mission :yes:

LB

Although i found out Fiveways don't like it! I was asked to leave.

ill look into the train one for you, as i, as we speak, am at work in a train station :good: . different TOCs (train operating companys) might have different rules imposed by BTP. ill get back to you tonight.

Sorry but this is really dumb advice to a newbie who may be reading this thread :blink: B) :unsure:

People have been shot by the police for less, even carrying furniture items.

MAKE SURE YOUR GUN IS SECURLY COVERED AT ALL TIMES IN PUBLIC PLACES!! or you will be on the next days news paper :wub:

Regarding firearms and public transport, check with the company you wish to travel with. Most companies have a website with specidic details of the terms and conditions of the ticket you buy. Read it carefully, and take it seriously. Dont rely on what people say or 'think' as its your neck on the line. And possibly your life if it gets that serious :wub:

All it takes is one anti/Joe Bloggs do gooder to call up the police and say theres a man with a gun. It has happened, and will continue to happen.

:good::yes: