the times

jimdfish

It's not that new, the, L115A3 is an upgrade of the L115A1 sniper rifle that the army have been using for quite a while. The 8.59mm round is the same .338 lapua magnum as previously used. It's nice to see that our lads out there are getting some decent gear though.

there is a very interestting article in the times about the new army issue sniper rifle. 23 grand and it uses an 8.59mm round. Strange calibre but effective to 1100m

JDF

according to the article it gives them an extra 200m which keeps them out of the taleban effective range. also got a much bigger scope. 25x rather than 12x

JDF

i cnt see how this works out because the the newest L96 can give a a sniper the range of 1500mts i have been on a cource with the light infentry sniper unit and the L96 is ace realy nice handeling and efective

Talking from recollection from my time in green, the design brief for the rifle was a tool that could give a guaranteed first-round head-shot kill at 600m, a guaranteed kill at 800m and provide harassing fire at increased distances. The .338 Lapua gives the advantage of added range, but at the expense of a soldier's ammunition carrying capacity, and mag capacity.

Edited by Baldrick

From Defence Industry Daily;

Nov 14/07: The British firm Accuracy International Ltd. already makes the 7.62mm L96 sniper rifle, designed to achieve first-round hits at 600m and harassing fire out to 1100m/ 1200 yards. It has been upgraded with a new 3-12×50 sight and spotting scope. The L115A3 Long Range Rifle is a whole new weapon, however, whose heavier 8.59mm (.338 Lapua Magnum) bullet creates much less deflection at 1100+ meters. It’s an upgrade over the L115A1 that has served in limited numbers with the Army and Royal Marines. Snipers in the British Army, Royal Marines and RAF Regiment will be receiving 580 new L115A3s with day telescopic sights, under a GBP 4 million ($8.2 million) sub-program.

And from another web site;

New Sniper Rifle

The British Army has announced it's new sniper rifle, the L115A3, at a shocking £23,000 a piece.

But it's basically an Accuracy International ASWM in .338 Lapua. Which you can buy in the States for about $5,200 a piece. Which works out roughly at £2,600.

A bit of a discrepancy, isn't there? Anyone got an explanation?

The L96 might be accurate enough to 1,500m, but I doubt the round will go through armour at that range.

Probably work on tea towels though :yes:

A bit un-pc but yes, it will work well on human targets, I really dont know why armour peircing rounds came into this? :hmm:

It has the effective range of 1100meters but its actual lethal range is probably well over double that (not that it could be shot accurately passed 1500m).

If anti armour is required, the RAF or artillery may be involved. The role of the sniper is for different reasons. :hmm: