moderators or not

shoot57

ive had my new 223 for a few months now, when i first got it the plan was to fit a moderator but at the time i thought i would spread the cost and fit it later, i use it mostly for lamping fox from a 4x4 but i am now thinking not to bother. its a 527 varmint and i think quite a neat little gun to use from a vehicle, i fitted a mod to my last rifle a hornet and it did cut the noise a lot but in the dead of night it still seemed quite loud. so i am wondering weather we all seem to go for a mod as some sort of fashionable accessory, looking at some shooting videos on u tube it seems as if the Americans have never heard of them, thats not to say we should follow what they do......so i ask moderators yes. no. sometimes. what do you all think?.

I like them because it makes the gun usable without ear protection. I know the noise is still over the suggested limit, but it feels a lot kinder to the ears. I don't like wearing ear plugs when stalking, and there's no way I'd fire a centrefire without a mod unless I really had to!

I'm inclined to agree with you re the fashion accessory statement, they are certainly not neccessary with 223 that makes about as much noise as a 20 bore. They do reduce recoil, and they reduce noise considerably from behind the gun, but not at all in front, however it appears there is no middle ground, you ether love 'em or hate 'em. As you probably guessed, I hate 'em, I like a gun to look like a gun, not something from Star wars. :o

Having heard the difference just a small moderator made to a 6.5mm on the range I would say go for it!

It reduces the noise at the gun end to a decent level and overall does cut down the noise pollution.

They do nothing 500yards downrange, but at the muzzle end they are worth it!

Having heard the difference just a small moderator made to a 6.5mm on the range I would say go for it!

It reduces the noise at the gun end to a decent level and overall does cut down the noise pollution.

They do nothing 500yards downrange, but at the muzzle end they are worth it!

Think you meant at the shoulder/ear end Sam, if you are scoring in the butts, they all sound the same, with or without.

If you are shooting on your own, in the field, don't rule out having a muzzle brake fitted. They are a good means of controlling muzzle flip, and to an extent re-directing the blast (both in terms of perceived recoil and perceived noise). It keeps the rifle looking sleek, and doesn't alter the balance.

I use a rifle that is threaded for a removeable muzzle brake, or a mod, depending on the scenario. I've stuck with the brake, as it does everything I need it to. I've shot .50cals that would be unbearable without a brake, but that have been tamed by such a simple bit of kit.

N.B., you will become very unpopular, very quickly, if you use a 'braked rifle on a range, or alongside another person.

I'm inclined to agree with you re the fashion accessory statement, they are certainly not neccessary with 223 that makes about as much noise as a 20 bore.

No offence bob but your ears must be *****d .Mine are and I can shoot my 12 bore with out earplugs quite comfortably ,but as for my .223 :o :lol:

I remember using mine close to a local village ( 500mtr from out skirts) late on in the evening after a fox, must have started pretty much every dog barking :lol::good: , and yet with the mod can use it in the same fields at any time, with out alerting the local canine population :lol:

In answer to the question, imho the best bet would be to meet up with someone who has a mod on their .223, and see ( hear?) the difference for yourself, I would also suggest if you are mainly using the rifle from the inside of a vehicle then this is why you believe the rifle is not to bad, the vehicle is shielding the noise a little, try it at some targets, sitting position, with a good bank as a back stop (this will reflect a bit of noise too). :o

Off at a slight tangent, fans of moderators often say they 'mask' the sound so a second shot is more likey to be on than with an an unmoderated rifle.

I have always doubted this (we have proven it doesn't apply on the hill)

There is an article in one of the shooting mags last month written by a stalker who placed his client, and then walked round to move a pod of fallow out of a wood in front of his client - all done safely before anyone starts - he has done the same for clients with and without mods fitted.

He has noticed from that position he can pinpoint the location of moderated rifle shot, but unmoderated the sound is far more dispersed.

I'm inclined to agree with you re the fashion accessory statement, they are certainly not neccessary with 223 that makes about as much noise as a 20 bore.

No offence bob but your ears must be *****d .Mine are and I can shoot my 12 bore with out earplugs quite comfortably ,but as for my .223 :lol::lol:

:good: That is odd, I find just the opposite! But I have to admit that my ears are not what they were, 52 years of shooting and explosives has seen to that! Ear plugs/muffs were unheard of for shooting years ago, most people who started shooting when I did are deaf or partially deaf in their left ear, (your right arm muffles the sound to the right ear). I did not make myself too clear when I said that a 20 and 223 sound alike, I meant to others a field away, course that may be just me as well! :o

Personally I have too many houses about to even use the HMR without a mod. If you're lamping foxes at night and you have any houses about without a mod you can expect at the very least to upset people who are sleeping. Especially farm workers who can need to be up at 4am, its highly anti social when you have an option and can cause your farmer to get calls and the local fuzz to be called. Of course if you're in the middle of no where with no houses about its fine to make the choice

well I think they are great, have one on my .223

Was shooting on a local farmers land once and we were about 60 yards from his house. He had asked us to come up and see could we get a few, he has chickens and sheep.

Saw one in the field right in front of his house, rifle on post, backstop is good, lamp on and crack. One dead fox.

Farmer was in the house 60 yards away and didn't even hear it.

Would never go lamping without one

Off at slight tangent, fans of moderators often say they 'mask' the sound so a second shot is more likey to be on than with an an unmoderated rifle.

I have always doubted this (we have proven it doesn't apply on the hill)

There is an article in one of the shooting mags last month written by a stalker who placed his client, and then walked round to move a pod of fallow out of a wood in front of his client - all done safely before anyone starts - he has done the same for clients with and without mods fitted.

He has noticed from that position he can pinpoint the location of moderated rifle shot, but unmoderated the sound is far more dispersed.

:o There is an article here, put up by a manufacturer of moderators (Reflex), proving that the sound reduction for around 30 degrees either side of the centre line of the direction that the gun is pointing, is reduced by around 3 decibels only, using standard ammunition. This test was at 15 metres distance, the further away from the gun the less that this would apply. This is not enough to justify the expense or clumsiness of a moderator in my opinion, because in reality, the human ear cannot distinguish 3 db difference at these level (155db). Even with subsonic ammo (and who uses that in CF?) the reduction is only 20db. If noise redution to avoid using ear muffs or to cut down on recoil is your reason, go for it, otherwise, it just ain't worth it. If you are still not convinced get a mate to stand in front of the gun, in the butts (obviously), and fire your gun with and without a moderator. :lol:

http://guns.connect.fi/rs/dirdiagr.html