I'm an anti!

islandmartin

It's bit like a couple years ago the airsoft guys tried to distance themselves from shooters of 'real'guns thinking this would make them immune to further restrictions.Damn near had their fun banned only a last minute change of heart by the government stopped this,but restrictions were indeed put on the airsoft users.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read a letter in this weeks Angling Times where the writer slates the shooting of cormorants as appalling I very much doubt if shooters can rely on anglers.

Crikey digger,

Although I think there may be a tendency among certain anglers to try to distance themselves from the shooting arguement I dont think there are many anglers who will agree with the one letter that appears in the AT condemning a cormorant cull. There is certainly no in my club who would nor have I ever met an angler who would.

JDF

Many anglers try to distance themselves from any form of hunting thinking it will "let them off the hook". They fail to realize that the anti hunters not only want hunting banned but fishing banned too.

I'm pleased to say, I've never met an angler with views like this (and I've met an awful lot of anglers). All the anglers I've known are well aware that their sport could be next, and the only reason that they're not under immediate threat is that the sheer numbers of anglers means that it's an instant vote-loser for any politicos that are stupid enough to run with it.

I agree that all field sports followers must stick together on this issue. I don't shoot game, hunt foxes, or even shoot vermin, but I would support all these sports/occupations. I fish and I shoot clays and I am under no illusions that any small victory for the antis brings the threat to my sports a little bit closer to home. :drinks:

I do admit I base my view mostly on a section of the angling media which had a very much "heads down" attitude during the fox hunting ban and to me the silence from fellow fisherman was deafening.One of the presenters of "Fishermans Blues" is a veggie and I have heard him disapprove of field sports on air and he is a respected figure in fishing. Thankfully the main presenter,Keith Arthur has a pro hunting stance.Unlike you Chard I do not meet with very many anglers as my fishing is a snatched hour or two on a weekday and cant usually do the weekend work parties etc so I do rely on the media to form my opinions but your experience of anglers views is heartening :good:

I predicted 5, so it will be 5.

Chard I have met a few anglers who were anti hunting, in fact one had a sticker in his car window.

He had a little note tucked under his wiper when he returned from his day trout killing :drinks:

The man's a hypocrite. :good:

Hope he gets fin rot on his scrotum :good::lol::good:

That sort of 'I'm alright Jack' complacency will end up getting our sports banned. They will chip away at them bit by bit until there is nothing left. Hunting with dogs was the first step and if we do not fiercely appose this then shooting, fishing and other legitimate country sports will be next. Not to mention things like snaring and of course ferreting... not that I would stop

And what do you sudgest we do?

Until an intention or mention of restrictions on another aspect of country sports comes up how can we opose it aside from not voting labour something Ive never done b4 anyway.

We can oppose it by sticking together as one not just sitting back and letting other aspects of field sports get legislated against in the hope that they will stop with them as when the time comes that other sports are targeted you will have nobody to support you.

It may be because that I'm still quite young and wish to participate in these sports for decades to come that I fiercely oppose any new legislation that affects my sports in a detrimental manner but at the end of the day I believe we all need to stick together as one if we want to preserve our pass times.

I also suggest, since your asking, that you do everything possible to support country sports and not let a 'clamour' supporting the ban build up in the first place. Be it lobbying your MP like previously mentioned or just following the local hunt.

FM :good: