snakes

elkrout2007

Only one and its the adder (Vipera berus) is Britain’s only poisonous snake but will very rarely attack. Their usual approach is to use its exceptional camouflage to avoid being spotted or to disappear into the bushes and undergrowth at speed if they feel the vibrations of a threat approaching. While the adder is thought to have claimed the lives of around 10 people within the last 100 years or so, modern knowledge about snake bites and good access to medical care have greatly reduced the threat they pose to life. Only those that are susceptible to anaphylactic shock are a major risk.

The venom is actually quite strong but the adder does not inject much at any one time so there is less risk than from other venomous snakes that will strike repeatedly or inject more in one go.

watched a friend get bitten on the ***, as i was too frightened to say anything :hmm: he was answering the call of nature, and as we were being funny taking a pic of him, he then started screeming :yes::lol: , yet most of us had seen the snake.

watched a friend get bitten on the ***, as i was too frightened to say anything :hmm: he was answering the call of nature, and as we were being funny taking a pic of him, he then started screeming :yes::lol: , yet most of us had seen the snake.

:good::lol::angry: would loved to see that. poor snake. :D

Did the snake survive ? :good::lol::angry::D:)

my black lab aged 10 months at the time was bit by an adder last year when training thru some bracken, i absolutely papped myself rushing home to get to the vets but no ill effects were seen in the

lab, and after a couple of calls was told the adder probably struck a warning bite first without releasing

any venom...phew, it did swell however.

the good thing was the dog turned but didnt see it otherwise it probably would have got the second strike right on its nose

watched a friend get bitten on the ***, as i was too frightened to say anything :hmm: he was answering the call of nature, and as we were being funny taking a pic of him, he then started screeming :lol::good: , yet most of us had seen the snake.

Did the snake survive ? :lol::angry::D:):)

hhahahaha, funny enough, the snake was fine :yes: we had never seen one in the wild before, so we were a bit taken back by it thinking it was a cobra or something :( :(

We get them local to us, they seem to range in size from worm sized to about a foot, with a lot of colour variation. Some are almost black, and I have seen some "pink" coloured ones. Mostly they are just the bog standard zig zag ones. The dogs never seem to learn, and always go poking their nose in to have a look, but so far, fingers crossed, I haven't had one bitten.

One of the local keepers got bitten many years ago when he put hos hand out to a tussock of heather. It swelled up and was painful, but nothing more.

There used to be an adder at a job I used to do. He (probably she actually) was at a guess 2 feet long, and very fat. It lived in an old greenhouse, so I used to get really close to it and take a look. I've managed to get my head within a couple of feet of it because it was the other side of the glass. I remember it being very hard to get close to. Supposedly they're very sensitive to vibration? I'm also told 2 feet is big for an adder? There were several in the area, but this one was by far the biggest.

Interesting comments. I also have seen many on the moors in the NE, particularly in the summer basking in the sun. They are very shy creatures that would rather slither away from any trouble. I often wondered what the effects of a bit would be or a dog getting it. Can you imagine what the local hosital would say or know what to do with an adder bite. Hmmmm. Never the less a wonderful sight to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Adder bites dont really do anything to you, ive been bitten by them a few times and the worst I have had from an adder bite was a flu like feeling for about an hour. If you are fit and strong you wont have any problems and their mouths are so small they can only bite onto certain areas like fingertips

They certainly arent anything to worry about, 9 times out of 10 they will be gone as soon as you get near them

Loads of 'em in my neck of the woods - There's actually a agted and fenced off preservation area near Tilbury where they are trying to get the numbers up :welcomeani: They like to lurk in the long grass and are very jumpy and will bite, although more from fear than actual aggression i think
i no wot you mean i seen loads when i lived down southend.