knives

col s10

a folding pocket knife with less than a three inch blade is not illegal per se but there are offences of having a bladed article in a public place. Basically you really need a reasonable excuse or lawful authority to carry alsthough you are almost certainly ok with a folding pen knife

steve b

Surely if your out shooting and carrying a knife, they should be more worried with whatever firearm you have rather than if you are carrying a blade longer than 3 inches? :yes:

Would that not make more sense? No wait the government making sense, how silly of me to think that! :good:

Mr T

a real hunters knife when out shooting on our land 6 inch blade but if that isn't a good enough excuse i dont know what is

Yep, agree with that, I have a fixed 6" blade everytime I go shooting, whatever it may be, Stalking through to Decoying. If I was that way inclined I use the gun I would have at the time..............load of ********

BJ.

a folding pocket knife with less than a three inch blade is not illegal per se but there are offences of having a bladed article in a public place. Basically you really need a reasonable excuse or lawful authority to carry alsthough you are almost certainly ok with a folding pen knife

steve b

Lawfull authority? This would be what? The only instance that I can think of would be a soldier wearing a bayonet?

The Criminal Justice Act (CJA) 1988

Created an offence of having an article with a blade or point in a public place without good reason or lawful excuse. An exemption applies to folding pocket knives with a blade of less that three inches. (In my view this is a nonsense…three inches ‘kills‘. This was proven to be the size of the knife that killed Westley). Maximum penalty: Up to two years imprisonment.

CJA 1988 also prohibited the manufacture, sale, hire, offer for sale or hire of a range of weapons specified in the Criminal Justice Act (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988. These are mainly items designed to cause serious injury, for example knuckledusters, handclaws and certain Martial Arts equipment, or those which can be easily concealed, including swordsticks. Maximum penalty: Six months imprisonment and/or £5000 fine.

Changes in the law since have been re selling, age etc.

Edited by bob300w

Lawfull authority? This would be what? The only instance that I can think of would be a soldier wearing a bayonet?

Created an offence of having an article with a blade or point in a public place without good reason or lawful excuse. An exemption applies to folding pocket knives with a blade of less that three inches. (In my view this is a nonsense…three inches ‘kills‘. This was proven to be the size of the knife that killed Westley). Maximum penalty: Up to two years imprisonment.

CJA 1988 also prohibited the manufacture, sale, hire, offer for sale or hire of a range of weapons specified in the Criminal Justice Act (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988. These are mainly items designed to cause serious injury, for example knuckledusters, handclaws and certain Martial Arts equipment, or those which can be easily concealed, including swordsticks. Maximum penalty: Six months imprisonment and/or £5000 fine.

I carry a filleting knife with an 8" blade when I go sea fishing and I have been told that it is a "good reason or lawful excuse " to do so.

Wandering into a Pub with it would be considered neither.

Like many other things controlled by Laws, knives don't kill people, people kill people.

I carry a filleting knife with an 8" blade when I go sea fishing and I have been told that it is a "good reason or lawful excuse " to do so.

Wandering into a Pub with it would be considered neither.

Like many other things controlled by Laws, knives don't kill people, people kill people.

I agree with you, however, it's the "lawful authority" that has me puzzled, how would you obtain lawful authority?

Just found this on the net, it may help with the confusion, interestingly, Boy Scouts have "lawful Authority" providing that they are wearing their uniform whilst carrying a knife

Carrying of dangerous articles in a public place

1/Is the object being carried in a public place or on school premises?

Yes. Go to question 2

No. No crime has been committed

2/Was the object made for use for causing injury to a person?

Yes. Go to question 5 (unless the article is being carried on school premises in which case go to question 7)

No. Go to question 3

3/Has the object been adapted for use for causing injury to a person?

Yes. Go to question 5 (unless the article is being carried on school premises in which case go to question 7)

No. Go to question 4

4/Does the person carrying the article intend to use it to cause injury to a person?

No. Go to question 6

5/Does the person have lawful authority or reasonable excuse for carrying the offensive weapon?

Yes. The person is not guilty of any offence contrary to the Prevention of Crime Act 1953 Section 1

No. The person has committed an offence contrary to the Prevention of Crime Act 1953

6/Is the object an instrument with a blade or a point (excluding folding pocket knives with blades less than 3 inches in length)?

Yes. Go to question 7

No. No offence has been committed.

7/Does the person have lawful authority or reasonable excuse for carrying it or are they carrying it for use at their work or are they carrying it for religious reasons or are they carrying it as part of any national costume?

Yes. No offence has been committed.

No. The person has committed an offence contrary to the Criminal Justice Act 1988 Section 139, Section 139A and/or Offensive Weapons Act 1996

Edited by bob300w

You can carry a sub 3" non locking folder anywhere with out needing a reason to do so (exceptions may be train stations, air ports schools etc) if a police officer suspects you have intent to cause harm, to use in offence or defence you can be arrested and charged but this is irrelevant of the fact its a pen knife, its to do with intent and the same goes for screw drivers pencils just about anything can be used as a weapon. If you have a good reason you may carry what you please, within reason, if your out shooting having a fixed blade knife is fine, same goes for a carpet fitter with a stanleyknife etc.

I don't know about Lawful Autority, I think a Police Officer, Paramedic or Fireman with a locking knife such as a leatherman wave is unlikely to be charged, perhaps simply being in that kind of work is 'good reason' in the eyes of the law. I remember a case of a TA (officer I think) being stopped, arrested and charged for having a locking knife in his brief case.

I carry various knives depending on the situation. I have a fixed blade Swiss card knife (approx 1 inch blade and some other items) in my wallet. This goes wherever my wallet does in case I need to cut something. I don't consider an inch blade to be a threat, no matter where it is! When shooting I carry a swiss army knife with a 3.5 inch locking blade and saw. Again, shooting is a reasonable excuse for needing one to gut things. When walking in the woods I sometimes carry a 6 inch bowie knife to trim branches and generally hack stuff. I'm not sure whether or not that's a good reason, but the likelyhood of getting searched in a remote place is slim to none. I think I would be ok because of the remote location I'd be in when spotted. It's fairly obvious I'm not out to cause trouble. To be honest, the hardest one to explain would probably be the swiss card in the pub :good:

I always have a 2 inch locking knife on a keyring with me,

often when not at work I have a multitool on my belt again with a 4 inch lock knife on it,

usually when in the pub I have the multitool, but then we have been known to lean the odd shotgun in the corner too. :good:

its on the way back from the duckpond.

I own 3 knives, 2 fixed blades 1 Swiss army knife plus an hatchet. One of the fixed blades 3 1/2 inches long & has a wide thick clip point blade with a comfortable handle for heavier work, a 3 inch thin bladed knife for for fine work (gutting rabbits). I choose which knife will be suitable for that days shooting.

A lot of our knife laws are based on case law & not in all cases criminal law so they can be contested. When carying a knife use common sense, you can carry a pen knife in public as long as it`s blade is under 3 inches & doesn`t lock. Any carriage of other types of blade depends on the reason you are carrying it & the place you are carrying it,how much common sense you use when carrying it & if you get stopped by the police how much knowledge of the law the officer will have.