Please be safe...

Deako

This is more tragic than the last posting regarding lamping and the guy with the binoculars, as someone who regularly lamps (3 times a week and 4 in Winter) I cannot understand for the life of me how this can happen.

However it has and we can only think of how the family of that unfortuneate young lad feel today.

The story tells that the lad was in a party of 3 adult and 3 children, it does not say that they all only had one rifle or how they come to be split up far enough to be mistaken for a fox -as the article says. Srely there were not two parties,both with high velocity rifles...

What a sin that this could happen :yp:

Foxsy

as someone who regularly lamps (3 times a week and 4 in Winter) I cannot understand for the life of me how this can happen.

Nor I.

I am not aware of the full facts but the fundamental rule of shooting with a lamp is to positively identify the outline of your quarry and if shooting with a partner have them confirm the identification too before loosing off a shot.

This is appears to have been an act of gross negligence which has resulted in the tragic death of a young life and should never happen.

Too many more incidents of this nature and I am sure that hunting with Lamps will be prohibited.

FM.

I agree with Cranfield

And If anything good is to come out of the Fire arms Consultitive Comittee it must be tighter control for those people applying for such licences.

I think the process of applying for and being granted a licence for a Fire arm or a Shotgun should incorporate a mandantory appraisal and test of the safety issues concerning its specified use.

I am of the opinion particularly that it is far too easy for a complete novice to obtain a shotgun certificate with out being properly vetted. and the issuing of FireArms certificates should be tightened up too and not issued until the applicant has completed a recognised format of safety training as many of us do in the Construction Industry before we are allowed to operate Heavy Plant or Machinery or carry out works in the Public Domain.

Both these recent accidents appear to have happened not out of maliciousness but out of ignorance of the safety measures required when using a firearm at night and probably by people who should know better.

FM.

Another easily avoidable loss of a young person and the destruction of another family. My feelings go out to all those concerned.

I too can feel a night time hunting ban coming on :rolleyes:

Maybe there is some merit in having to take some sort of basic training before being issued with a FAC :yp:?

Such a waste.

Whatever happened to good old common sense??

Yes, common sense should prevail. But as we have seen, it does not appear to do so all the time.

The facts are not yet known so i am not going to lay blame etc. i just can't see how, if the person who died was part of the shooting party, how he came to be on the wrong side of the gun? and at such a distance so as not to be recognisable by the shooter.

If he was not from the party, again what was he doing crawling about in the distance?? Whatever the reasons, there are no excuses, you can not squeeze the trigger unless you are 100% sure of what you are about to kill.

first my condolences to the family in this tragic waste of a young life.

to comment on what jimdfish saibd ,the high viz hat /jacket does help with mistaken targetting in the states and here in canada,but let me add not all use it ?

F.M. i lke your idea :- to quote you

"i think the process of applying for and being granted a licence for a Fire arm or a Shotgun should incorporate a mandantory appraisal and test of the safety issues concerning its specified use."

but

you'l end up with a major problem trying to police it ,as you all know a bad driver can change his ways to pass any retest that may be imposed due to incompetance.

ive seen many "tools" coming out of the C.F.S.C. (canadian firearms saftey course)

with pass's and realy not have a bloody clue what to do with any weapon given them ,including a right nimrod who then joined the R.C.M.P. as a weapons instructor,,,,,,

from the BIG RED FOX came , Whatever happened to good old common sense??

there you have it gentlemen ,consider it all our responceability to ensure safe use /handling and training .

how many times as a kid did you hear the phrase

"well son you passed ,now you learn the right way"

unfourtunatly these accidents serve only to hurt our sport and the familys in question ,and we can only strive to lessen them ,as to eliminate would be the impossible i think.

"to err is human to forgive is divine "

anyway thats my thoughts ,we none are perfect i know.

martin

Again other tragic and avoidable loss of a young life. My deepest thoughts and condolancesto the young lads family.

This seems to be happening far to often, and again reiterates the need to fully and correctly identify your quarry fully and correctly. As been said if shooting with others getting confirmation before pulling the trigger. You can get it right hundreds of times but only need to get it wrong once.

Squint