nppc loyalty?

peejay

hi im not a member of nppc but i managed to obtain adresses of a few farms in the derbys/s yorks area. 8 in total. so i "cold called" on them asking for permission.

only 3 of them mentioned nppc, but 3 gave a definate yes, 2 said no, 1 said ok to rabit with lamp as he had an "old boy"who as been shooting pigeons for years, and 2 wasnt home, (i called on these farms along with others in the area over approx 10 day period). are all the farmers who are on the nppc list like this?

I dont think they are meant to be. I was in Brum recently and turned up at one farm and the farmer had no idea what the NPPC was. After pouring over several oS maps we decided that this was definetely where i should be. He let me on more out of sympathy than anything else and explained that he leased his land to another farmer but had no knowledge of the NPPC agreement . I will not be renewing my membership this year as it was a bloody embarrasing debacle that i do not want to repeat

jim

Peejay,

It totally depends on if you have land to shoot pigeons over and how often you shoot.

If you have got yourself some land and the amount you have is enough to cover your shooting trips for the year then there is no point in joining, but if you want fresh land to shoot over then £90 for the year is a very good price.

I have a few farms local to where I live but getting out onto new ground can produce some good days, if you get out a fair bit and talk to John Shooter then you will get an invite to farms that have a major problem with pigeons and then theres a chance of a red letter day.

Yes you could get a 1000 cartridges fir this money but if you dont have anywhere to shoot them the NPPC is a great avenue for shooters.

PM

I aggree with you Pigeon Master. I have been a member for a few years now. Not only do you get fresh fields to shoot over anytime you want.

I enjoy travelling to different parts of North & West Yorkshire to shoot. I probably would never go to that area if it wasn't for NPPC. I too shoot a couple of local farms, but when I have used NPPC land I have always come back satisfied.

Whats £90 a year, couple of nights out and a few beers tokens

Jonno

I agree with PM.I have been a member for years and never had a problem.I have had many wonderful days on NPPC land including a record(personal) 166 pigeons on spring rape last year.Last May I shot over 500 pigeons on NPPC land.I do not expect to shoot loads whenever i go out and had a few disappointing days recently.I think £90 per year is exceptional value for money.

Guest flightline
hi im not a member of nppc but i managed to obtain adresses of a few farms in the derbys/s yorks area. 8 in total. so i "cold called" on them asking for permission.

only 3 of them mentioned nppc, but 3 gave a definate yes, 2 said no, 1 said ok to rabit with lamp as he had an "old boy"who as been shooting pigeons for years, and 2 wasnt home, (i called on these farms along with others in the area over approx 10 day period). are all the farmers who are on the nppc list like this?

PJ you don`t say the farms were on the NPPC list so we need more info to reply to your question. It`s well known that some farmers would not recognise what DEFRA was unless you gave them a massive clue-like grants.

f line--sorry thaught it was obviously stated that i meant 8 of them were on the nppc list? (what does DEFRA mean)

any way these 8 ARE on the nppc list and the question im asking is if i pay my cash and have to go through the channels of phoning to pre book for shooting etc. then how do i know that the local lad whos door knocked (like i did) isnt there before me, wasting my time traveling to the location, Like ive stated 3 farms on the nppc list have given me written permission to shoot. So, along with the "old boy" on the fourth farm, then whats saying that ,after you have pree booked the farm and waited all week to shoot it, i (or anyonelse thats door knocked) hasnt been there shooting the **** out of it all week?

Hi peejay.Everybody's views are respected but I feel you have gone a bit too far.How did you obtain adresses of farmers?On the NPPC list its fields mentioned and not adresses or names of farmers and they are confidential and for members use only.I dont think its right to try and ruin an established club's reputation which gives pleasure to hundreds of members who disagree with you in principle and feel that their 90 quid per year is well spend and renew their membership every year.Also you tried to approach farmers who allow members of NPPC to shoot on their land and thats something that all genuine members avoid(otherwise a club cant work as a club)This part of the forum should be about exchanging ideas and giving advice and information to members and potential members.Please respect that.At the end of the day I feel you would be better off if you had paid £90 and not start this.

doc -hi mate- im not trying to ruin nppc reputation, i have the forms from john in my possesion and just trying to ask all the plusses and negatives of joining. as my first years fee is £115 (and thats a lot on my wages).but as i stated will i work all week looking foreward to my day off with the gun, book the place, travel miles just to find someones been there all week?

cheers

Hi peejay!As I have mentioned before on most occasions there is no problem at all and everything goes well.I will repeat it that personally I have had many memorable days via NPPC.I have rarely come across farmers and I have always been friendly and that was appreciated.I have also met gamekeepers and with one exception I have never had a problem.I still think NPPC is good value although I appreciate that for some of us it will be more difficult to afford subscription.

PS:I am really pleased by your response as my comments were definitely not personal or directed to you.

Guest flightline
f line--sorry thaught it was obviously stated that i meant 8 of them were on the nppc list? (what does DEFRA mean)

any way these 8 ARE on the nppc list and the question im asking is if i pay my cash and have to go through the channels of phoning to pre book for shooting etc. then how do i know that the local lad whos door knocked (like i did) isnt there before me, wasting my time traveling to the location, Like ive stated 3 farms on the nppc list have given me written permission to shoot. So, along with the "old boy" on the fourth farm, then whats saying that ,after you have pree booked the farm and waited all week to shoot it, i (or anyonelse thats door knocked) hasnt been there shooting the **** out of it all week?

DEFRA=Department for Ending Rural Affairs

• 2 months later...

I know what you mean, today I got a day off work so I booked a shoot just south of Scotch Corner, this is one of the nearest shoots to me as I live in Newcastle. About an hour into the shoot, a local out walking his dog stopped to chat and told me that there had been shooters there all weekend, I stood for the rest of the day and ended up bag of 2, (1 crow & 1 skemie). Knocks your moral a bit when it's about 150 mile round trip, you drive a thirsty banger like I've got. But after cup of coffee & a shower I always say the same thing,

"THE NEXT SHOOT WILL BE BETTER"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

nppc loyalty?

Hi there,

Trying to define loyalty in this case?

In my mind if I renew my membership I'm loyal.

I would like to offer the following guidelines for any new, not so new and/or prospective members, why even you still thinking about it!

Having paid my membership fee I then have to decide for myself, or accept third party advice on where, from what land is available, I might go for hopefully an opportunity to shoot pigeons.

On the day out I may be offered, by the farmer, an alternative field to shoot over, a neighbouring farmer might approach me at some point to shoot for him, a landowner? gamekeeper? might challenge my right? to be on the land, or someone else might be there? and it's up to me how I deal with that.

It can sometimes be easy to get in the wrong place and I try to do some careful reccy beforehand if I hav'nt been to that area previously.

Of course I might meet some local mouthpiece knowall I've been shooting here for years and got two thousand farms of my own blah de blah, so what, I just get on with some decoying or have a look about, or go home, I am not commited.

Nothing is ever perfect when it comes to pigeoning.

I had booked-out for last Saturday and although I knew the weather forecast it seemed ten times worse in the dark at 6.00am and it would not have been difficult to go back to bed! On the land it was far too windy for any electric toys, even floaters blew away but my shell decoys ( 40 odd) were securely fastened down and that took time but it paid off!!

To sum up, this is what I get from NPPC for my LOYALTY

Lists of places to go.

Liability Insurance cover.

The opportunity to shoot pigeons.

All for the price of two tankfulls of diesel.

But don't take my word - phone JOHN SHOOTER on 08707572246.

Cheers,

Pete

Tip for members : Once you've booked a place, phone the night before (9.45pm-ish) find out from John what else is available in the area - you might get options!

the point im making is that OSSA pre booked the spot, by telephone, and, after travelling 150 miles, found that it had been shot all weekend.Ok you say youre not commited and can turn round and go home- but after a 150 mile round trip you wuold be a little p@@@@d off to say the least. Why wasnt he told there were shooters there at the weekend so he may not have a good day?