Thinking of making mobile super hide

Harnser

As you get older comfort becomes more and more important .So i am thinking of making a super portable hide . I was thinking of a trailor with a garden shed on the back ,about 8 feet by 6 feet . The sides could be cut to accomodate flaps that would be held open on chains . A gas stove for making a brew and heating in the winter .Two swivel chairs for me and shooting buddy .It would be highly portable and could be towed around the farm and into location in no time at all .All the gear could be stored in side ,saving humping your gear about . It could be left in the middle of the big fields of rape were there are no hedge rows to make up to . Then i would only have to walk across the field carrying just gun and shells . What do you think . harnser .

if I could make a suggestion :hmm:

I would think of a small steel container, They come

in half sizes and are light enough to lift with the tractor

bucket or a Hiab. My resoning is security. They are steel

so fairly indistructable and you could lock the doors and

it would be more secure than a wooded shed.

A second hand one in the size you stated would cost no

more than a new wooden shed.

All the advantages with none of the disadvantages.

Cheers taz.

Ive just done a search and a 10ft x 8ft container delivered will very

in price from £300 to £800....

taz

Edited by taz24

I was standing in the yard looking at a knackered old trailer last night Harnser, wondering exactly the same thing.

Taz's point about security is pretty valid though, as everything that isn't locked or bolted down on a farm (even in a field) seems to grow legs.

Making permanent hides in hedgerows and the like is a great idea, as long as they can't be vandalised and you get the Farmers permission.

However, you do need a few of them about, as the pigeons don't necessarily visit the same places all the time.

This is the biggest drawback to the "super hide" you are proposing, it won't be very mobile and for most of the Winter Farmers don't want vehicles on their tracks and fields anyway, therefore you will be stuck shooting in one place.

I think you should solve any problem you have by looking carefully at what you "hump" into the field with you.

Perhaps you are carrying things you don't need, or could you carry them more effectively.

Making permanent hides in hedgerows and the like is a great idea, as long as they can't be vandalised and you get the Farmers permission.

However, you do need a few of them about, as the pigeons don't necessarily visit the same places all the time.

This is the biggest drawback to the "super hide" you are proposing, it won't be very mobile and for most of the Winter Farmers don't want vehicles on their tracks and fields anyway, therefore you will be stuck shooting in one place.

I think you should solve any problem you have by looking carefully at what you "hump" into the field with you.

Perhaps you are carrying things you don't need, or could you carry them more effectively.

never mind HARNSER i thought it was a good idea :hmm:

Cranfield ,

Iwas thinking of leaving the super hide in thr middle of a big rape field or pea field ,for the duration of the growing season .When it came to stubble shooting time the hide could be easily towed round the stubbles as and when needed . The hide could be set in the field so that it could sprayed round ,between the tram lines . Harnser .

I still think it will totally restrict your options, but if your Farmers happy about it, then go for it.

Alternatively, you could go and sit in your garden shed with a flask, some sandwiches, the radio on and pretend you are pigeon shooting. :yes:

Cranfied ,

Is it such a bad thing to want to shoot pigeons from a warm ,dry ,wind free hide . Now that i am retired i will be spending more time in the field and am looking for a bit of comfort in my old age . I have done over 50 years in the field shooting pigeons in the tradionalist way ,freezing my nuts off and getting soaking wet . Remember when i started there wasent any super warm materials for jackets and you had to make do with an old cabadine coat or plastic pack a mac ,and a wheat sack over your shoulders ,God iam swinging the lamp lamp now . Harnser .

Cranfied ,

Is it such a bad thing to want to shoot pigeons from a warm ,dry ,wind free hide . Now that i am retired i will be spending more time in the field and am looking for a bit of comfort in my old age . I have done over 50 years in the field shooting pigeons in the tradionalist way ,freezing my nuts off and getting soaking wet . Remember when i started there wasent any super warm materials for jackets and you had to make do with an old cabadine coat or plastic pack a mac ,and a wheat sack over your shoulders ,God iam swinging the lamp lamp now . Harnser .

You are totally free to do whatever you want, but in your first post you asked , "what do you think" and I have just told you what I think.

I have to admit, that when I first read your post, I thought, what ****, a trailer will be unstable and rock every time that you move making shooting next to impossible.

Now I realise that you are referring to farm trailer, not a Halfords £140 special, it's becoming very appealing. You obviously have contacts on farms as I do, where the farmer would let you use a trailer, and put it where you wanted.

Moving it is no problem, that's what tram lines are for, it's probably the best idea that I have seen on here for a long time, guess where I am going in the morning?

And yes, I remember the wheat sack as well, with one corner tucked into the other so that it sat on your head and acted like a cape. Remember the old WW2 gas capes? Oiled cloth that stuck in the position that you left it, you had to fight it to unfold it in cold weather, but it was the only thing available resembling a waterproof.

Nice one Harnser.

I still think it will totally restrict your options, but if your Farmers happy about it, then go for it.

Alternatively, you could go and sit in your garden shed with a flask, some sandwiches, the radio on and pretend you are pigeon shooting. :welcomeani:

Cranfied ,

Cabadine coat and plastic mac's? are they only available in Norfolk?

Alternatively, you could go and sit in your garden shed with a flask, some sandwiches, the radio on and pretend you are pigeon shooting. :yes:

Cranfied ,

Cabadine coat and plastic mac's? are they only available in Norfolk?

Starlight ,You are trying to get me going again . Every body ,who is any body ,knows that the three pack = blue gabadine coat, see through plastic pack a mac ,and hession wheat sack are sold in any decent gun shop for around £1/14/6 . including postage and packaging . Harnser .

It sounds a good idea Hanser , but i am not so sure how the pigeons will accept it in the middle of a field even if you leave it there covered in cammo. Even with natural pitholes in the middle of fields I find the pigeons rarely feed closer than 40 yards from them as the ring of high rape shows. Of course if there is a tree or two in the pithole then a few lofters can be deadly. But good luck with the idea and let us know how you get on.

Harnser - If you have some good permission and shoot the same fields regularly over time you will discover that you are building your hide in the same places, so on a nice sunny day why not simply knock up some fixed hides with recycled wooden lats/boards and plastic feed bags thus making it windproof, cover with cheap ex-army cammo net but don't put a top on it just leave a large fishing brolly(ebay £2.50) and a comfy seat (ebay £1.50) Do this in 4 or 5 places to give yourself a few options. They will gradually blend in and all you will have to take out is gun,deeks,cartridges,snap and don't forget secateurs to trim the foliage that will grow inside.

Cheers, C.B. :good:

p.s. if you have a grandson(s) get him to do the fetching and carrying

Thanks every body for your thoughts and ideas on this subject . The imput has been very helpful and if i do go ahead and make said hide i will certinly do a write up and try and post some pictures . If you should be driving through norfolk and see a strange looking shed on a trailer in the middle of a rape field then you will know who is inside . stop off and come in for a cuppa . Harnser .

There you go Harnser, all the work done for you, fully mobile, and you would not even need to take your gun!

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/Det...al+1&Filter[NewType][]=Tank&Filter[NewMechanism][]=T72&Filter[Calibre][]=125mm

Hmm, that only seems to work sometimes, try http://www.guntrader.co.uk, then guns for sale, tank.

Edited by bob300w