baikals

ROODLE

i am new to the shotgun lark after plying my trade for a few years with just about every air rifle available. Have no got a place of my own so i have applied for a certificate. I have been looking at a baikal ihz27 o/u cos 1 they are are cheap :P and cos i have seen some reasonable reviews. But are they any good for pigeons? i will also be rough shooting a lot. wadddya reckon? :)

I have used both my dads bakail s/s and o/u and can not fault them they are guns that do the job and are not bad looking guns and that because they are a cheap gun a lot of people assume they are **** which is not the case they are guns that do the business and in my opinion look the business as well :)

I too still have my old Baikal , the first gun I ever owned in my own right.

It's crude but functional, it's taken a lot of abuse and not complained once. For several years it was used almost daily.

I bought it because it was all that I could afford at the time, but continued to use it long after I could afford better. I have certainly had my monies worth from that old gun.

Q :yp:

I was going to buy one but was put off by a lot of people, the majority of which shoot clays. I now beleive that a lot of them like to spend £1500 and upwards on guns with adjustable comb's and chokes etc. I would probably of been better off with an auto rather than a o/u as I enjoy the rough shooting more. Rough shooters very rarely ask what your shooting with, I think its more of a fashion thing with the clay ground. It all depends on how comfortable you are with laying £2500 on the floor in damp grass or would feel better about putting a £350 gun on the ground. You aer better finding a gun that you feel comfortable with than look good with.

R/E

Baikal

I wonder how many people managed to see and handle

the new Baikal izh 27. They were used by the easton block teams

in the last olympic games. I was fortunate enough to handle one

at York guns about 10 weeks ago.I was at the time looking at

purchasing a new gun to use on the shoot that I am a member off

I was going to buy a Browning or any gun that would fit me

up to £1500 the owner of York guns brought one from the back

and placed it into my hands I was shocked the finish was as good

as any gun that I had seen it came to the shoulder like nothing

I have used before<I have shot for over 45 years and once owned

a Churchill> the woodwork was oil finished walnut barrels were

29.5" and ported multi choke 3"chrome lined ss trigger that feels

spot on I can only say that the gun was the best that I have seen

it also has a special butt that will not get cought in clothing

I bought it streight away and I am very pleased with it

I covered the baikal logo up in front of the trigger and showed in to

a shooting mate he could nt guess the make and will not accept

that it is a baikkal. They are only a few pounds more than the usual

baikal but mony well spent I urge anyone thinkink about a new gun

to take a close look at them asap

Peter

I have a new IZH27-EM-1C (single trigger O/U 28" with selective ejector) as my only gun and its very tough and reliable. I've managed to outshoot several people with it who have berettas and brownings, and its never misfired once. The ejectors occasionally don't work properly, but overall its a good gun. However it is light at 7.5lbs and the stock is quite short, so i would recommend getting a buttpad fitted like I have done (lots of s/h baikals have had them fitted) as they do tend to kick quite hard.

Brad

My one and only gun is a Baikal O/U SS 12 bore - had it since I was 13 and still going as well today as it did then - minimal hassle to clean, no major embelishments to worry about and knocks seven bells out of most game species.

I have no reason to buy any gun aside from this - the only two minor drawbacks being weight (although its nowhere near as heavy as a Krieghoff) and the fixed choke - mine being 1/2 and full so I can't shoot steel through it.

Good starter gun, good workhorse and will serve you well.

• 4 weeks later...

I traded three guns in last month one of which was a lanber I had for many years and felt it was always too small for me,the gun was like new although 15 years old I got little for it,I just had to have in my hand a new gun so round the shop i went and settled on a beretta 686e that handles pretty much like my Urika 391 so im happy with that,but what i found was that though its good to shoot it darn heavy to carry round all day shooting so out came the yellow paper for adds,none that i fancied so looking in Sporting Gun this month I saw a guy sellin an AYA, it was sold but he had a Baikal s/s he could let me have for £140,well the next day saw me doing the 7 hour trip to north of Aberdeen to have a look, the gun is like new and hasnt been used for 3 or 4 years and I paid £115 for it in the end,everyone that has seen is say's whatever I paid for it it is worth is as it is a great gun for rough shooting etc and they all say its a typical game keepers gun they are that dependable.Well I took it out for a shot yesterday and its great to walk about with all day and I wont be parting with it, I dont know the choke on the 27 1/4" barrels or how old it is but it says model IJ 58 mh on it and made in USSR on it so maybe someone can remind me when the russian states split up so i reckon it was made before that. The only trouble i noticed was the auto safety reset after the first shot so when I got home i opened up the action and dried it up from all the oil thats has seeped into the action over the years standing unused and then put a box of shells through it and thats sorted that niggle out.

I wouldnt mind seeing some of there o/u or new s/s and seehow i like them,my brothers baikal s/s has sling swivels also that come in handy.

clanchief

My first shotgun was a Baikal side by side hammergun, bought NEW from a dealer in the Shooting Times, for the princely sum of £37, in the year of our Lord Ninteen hundred and seventy two.

Never did shoot much with it, as i had only fired a shotgun two or 3 times before i bought it,

Gave it away to a relation after about 4 years

I have a Baikal IZH 27 O/U with 28" barrels and 1/4 and (loose) 3/4 fixed chokes. Got it new this year and its had over 1500 carts through it and not had a single problem, even though I only ever clean it quickly. Had to have a pad fitted to make the stock longer, as the stocks are a bit short, and now it fits me ok. Use it mainly for sporting clays, and managed to beat everyone in my group with it today (they all had berettas and brownings :yp: )

Brad