Woman Killed by Cows

pavman

I think shed died of the heart attack rather then the stampeding :good: Townsfolk movingto the country, and dying of fright when they get close to real animals. :good:

Then again the dogs were covered in blood? Hmmm me thinks something is fishy about this story..

lol

there usually soft as **** and wanna keep out ur way !

i used to work in a slaughterhouse , quite reguarly we used to get an escapee that was mad after smelling the blood ,

that was the time to **** your selves and get out the way quickly , i had many a close encounter . :blush::D

ive never trusted cows... big moody beasts.. unpredictable at the best of times....i hate walking through a feild of them,, especially the type with horns !

As a dairy farmer I would disagree, very predictable in my opinion, don't know the facts of this tragic incident but they sure as hell don't stampede unless there's a damn good reason for it.

Sounds like she allowed her dog/dogs and maybe her between a cow and her calves. A man was badly injured a couple of weeks back after the same thing happened.

Common sense around livestock is needed in the countryside. :D

Still a sad story though.

FM

:blush:

Bang on. I bet if a DNA test was done on the blood found on the dogs, it would match that of a calf/cow's. Sad, but invetatble if you disrespect the rules of the countryside. :hmm:

Cows behaviour is predictable to some extent if you know the herd, not if your randomly walking your dog through a field.

I've been chased by a herd once, whilst walking the dog through a field (on a lead),

There was a field that was separated by a small lane which had a bridge over it. I was walking along the path which goes over the bridge, as i was about half way through the 1st field the cows at the top, stopped and were staring they then started moving towards us at a walk then getting quicker and quicker whilst the others follow gaining momentum down the hill. Well i picked the dog up and bloody hooned it across the bridge, i then turned 90degrees left and scrambled over the wire, whilst the stampede went straight ahead over the bridge. It certainly got my ticker racing, i'm only glad i saw what was happening soon enough.

Who needs pamplona when you've got crazy bullocks after your pooch :blush:

same thing happen to me and sammy about four weeks ago .

they surrounded myself and sammy.

and started to move in i just carry on walking .had to push my way though them.

then guess what .sammy decides this will be a good time to empty his bowels.

so theirs me standing there .telling him to get a move on .

and his totally oblivious to the herd of about twenty cows that are breathing down his neck . :blush: .

now cows have never worried me before .but i must admit we have not been that way since .

which is a shame as it is one of my favourite walks.

xxxsuzy

o and i always keep sammy on a lead near livestock .

i think it boils down to the breed of cow.on a few of my permissions ,we walk through the herd,and they dont bat an eye lid at us.but on other farms with different types of cow,they follow us as if we have food,but dont really scare us.then on another farm the cows are bonkers,they see us coming with lamp a few hundred yards away and start running around field,we dare not go in same field as them in case a cow or us gets injured and we loose the farm.so im with mungler on this one,trust nothing bigger :blush:

Coadling, I disagree. Like Owenwill I grew up on a dairy farm, and cattle are very predictable. I have only ever seen cattle stampede when they have been well and truly spooked, usually by dogs, and usually when new-born calves are in the fields. Any animal will defend its young.

few weeks ago i would have agreed with you Baldrick.

cows have never worried me before.

but what happen to myself a few weeks ago .

did really make me think .

now we were no where near the herd when we went into the field.

and sammy was on the lead all the time i was in the field.

i just put it down to them being inquisitive.

but when they started to push into us .

i did start to think o****(on which sammy did )

xxxxsuzy

p.s they were young bullocks

When out wildfowling we regularly cross a mile or so of land full of cows, not dairy herds, most of them come charging across then follow about 6 ft behind.....quite unnerving sometimes as you can feel their hooves thumping in the ground when they're on their way and hear them breathing down your neck :blush: . More often than not they tend to do it more if we have a dog with us so I assume it's curiosity more than anything. A wave of a stick/staff and a growl to send them away usually works thankfully but I must admit to being very nervous when doing the walked/accompanied visits last year for the first time. Was always told to stay close to any electric fences or renes if a bull was in situ so you can duck under/jump across out of harms way as a few members had been charged at over the years. Must of been quite terrifying for the woman, whatever the reason.

big soppy things, yes i am on about the cows, they and the horses follow me round on most of my shoots, one of the horses even sticks his nose in my pocket to see if there is anything to eat, mind you i shot a pigeon the other day and was shocked when i went to retrieve it and saw a cow chewing on it :blush:

Cows = grazers, dogs = predators that’s nature and especially if with young calves the cows will attack to defend themselves against a perceived enemy. If you’re ever caught out in a field with a dog and some bolshie cows my advice is don’t run, let the dog off the lead (country code is to keep them on a lead rightfully so in most circumstances) and let the dog run. Chances are the cows will chase the dog which should be able to outrun them and escape out of the field. As soon as cows attention is on the dog/s get the hell out of there! Another good reason to own a well trained dog.

If you’re at all nervous about crossing a field full of cows then DON’T cause sure as eggs is eggs they’ll know and come to you. Nice and easy, calm and collected is the best way to handle them.

Hope the H&S jobsworths don't try and blame farmer for the mishap however tragic the event.

I shoot some ground that has bullocks on it. They're pretty dumb and I am cautious of them. After all, they are powerful animals and they love to follow me. They run up to me at serious speed and then stop when they're about ten feet away, which scared the life out of me the first time! Now I use them for cover. If I can walk with a few either side of me and a load behind I can walk right into the bunnies so I can take a nice standing 30 yard shot :blush:

One thing I haven't been confident enough to do is lie down in their field. I get the feeling I may get trampled because they're so stupid :D