unusual topic/target!!

As big cats are not an indigionous species there proberbly is not a close season on them . As to wether or not it is legal to shoot them or not ,i do not know . But if one is worrying sheep or cattle or any other live stock ,then i would have thought shooting would be within the law . Untill somebody shoots one and hold it up by the tail and say look what i have shot we will proberbly never know . Would you risk being the first . Harnser .

Is it that time of year again? Do a search on here, this topic has been covered enough times already, simply answer is that whilst they may not be indigenous and therefre no close season, your FAC will not cover it and therefore you may not leagally take the shot. If however you or farm stock are in immediate danger then fairplay I would take the shot.

As I said earlier do a search, there are far wiser people on here who have answered this question in depth.

SS

If I could shoot it head on in the chest and say it was agressive then I'd shoot it. I'm sure prevention of getting eaten would be a good enough reason. I wouldn't fancy doing it with anything smaller than my .223 though! Someone needs to drop one, just to clear all this up. I think there must be a few about, how many I don't know :good:

hi , appreciate all your responses being fairly new have not read about this topic before but just as i thought "If however you or farm stock are in immediate danger". quote suffolk shooter. personally i think i would leave it but an experianced fellow stalker and friend were out on one of my perms last saturday morn when he saw/heard something he could not explain or identify. i think it was just a tirck of the light and wind in the twilight hours, one of those things but part of me believes him and would rather be prepared. the only animal living on this perm which are unusual are peahens does anyone know if they make any strange noises? also do foxes or badgers defeacate on their food/carcass after they have eaten or if they intend to come back to feed? :good::yes: one other thing there are a lot of deer living on this perm which seem quite happy, but are the wariest deer i have ever stalked.

I too would prefer to leave it alone, but hey if the "thing" is coming at me and its either me or it then I wouldn't just stand there thinking better not shoot it as it isn't on my FAC. Hell, I'd give it both barrels and hopefully have the S/A to give it a third just as its huge jaws came down.

In all honesty though, chances are slim to none, that it is a big CAT, although I do believe they are out there. Lets face it to get along in this small island of ours they will have become adept at keeping out of the way of Humans unless it is wounded or you had it cornered or near its young.

Regarding Peahens, they make a screaming noise as the farmer over the fields has a few, and they are noisey, but once you've heard them you can't mistake it for anything else.

SS

id shoot it, run over, reload, give it again, then kick the **** out of it. no one would ever belive you, and the money you would make would more than cover your legal fees im sure :good:

did i mention the kicking i would have give it? :yes: BIG CAT? dont care how nice it was being, it would still get it.

The amount of **** you would get from the police, press, antis, everyone i would just dig a hole and keep my mouth shut if this situation ever came up.

I too would prefer to leave it alone, but hey if the "thing" is coming at me and its either me or it then I wouldn't just stand there thinking better not shoot it as it isn't on my FAC. Hell, I'd give it both barrels and hopefully have the S/A to give it a third just as its huge jaws came down.

In all honesty though, chances are slim to none, that it is a big CAT, although I do believe they are out there. Lets face it to get along in this small island of ours they will have become adept at keeping out of the way of Humans unless it is wounded or you had it cornered or near its young.

Regarding Peahens, they make a screaming noise as the farmer over the fields has a few, and they are noisey, but once you've heard them you can't mistake it for anything else.

SS

i have heard stories as most of you have i expect, especially when the army was after them years ago. but i would definately not be after fame and fortune. nobody would know but me. :good:

also do foxes or badgers defeacate on their food/carcass after they have eaten or if they intend to come back to feed? :rolleyes::oops: one other thing there are a lot of deer living on this perm which seem quite happy, but are the wariest deer i have ever stalked.

Yes, it's fox 'scat'. Keep your eyes open and you'll see a lot of it about. Apparently foxes **** on the edges of their territory too.

Cervushunter, assuming you're takling about something leopard-size (not a piddly little lynx) you do not want to go after it on your own - you need another pair or eyes and ears. You particularly do not want to go after a big cat after you have wounded it by using something weedy like a .223 or a load of BB shot. A sensible chap would pick it off from 200 yards with a .300WM (do you really want it to get up?), and then take a very reliable semi-auto shotgun loaded with AAA-Buck or SG when retrieving the carcass.

Assuming I'd killed the cat without being torn into ribbons, I'd stick it in a chest freezer and forget about it. I certainly wouldn't want to make it public knowledge that I'd bagged a big cat in the UK - the bobble-hat brigade would be after me in no time at all.

hi this is an unusual one ; can any body help me out with this one. Q. what if you saw a big cat out in the field on your permission would you A shoot it and , B if so would that be legal under your firearm license.? hypothetically speaking!!

A; I could have shot one and didn't. B; My FAC says: "....use only in connection wth (a) The lawful shooting of deer, and (b)The shooting of vermin, or, in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife." So I would say yes, it would be legal.

Edited by bob300w

hi this is an unusual one ; can any body help me out with this one. Q. what if you saw a big cat out in the field on your permission would you A shoot it and , B if so would that be legal under your firearm license.? hypothetically speaking!!

A; I could have shot one and didn't. B; My FAC says: "....use only in connection wth (a) The lawful shooting of deer, and (b)The shooting of vermin, or, in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife." So I would say yes, it would be legal.

Bob

I hate to disappoint you but the conditions you quote refer to the (standard) conditions for expanding ammo only. These conditions do not apply to your rifle/s. Rifle conditions are listed separately and you may only use your rifle under the terms of those conditions.

In practice expanding ammo conditions mean that you may use expanding ammo for those purposes provided your rifle is so conditioned.

Edited by CharlieT