When do you say enough

henry d

Lucky Jim told me that the forecast today was for overcast skies (right) and a nice breeze (wrong) so the pigeon weren`t playing ball, we shot 3 woodpigeon 5 ferals and a rabbit and left after 3hrs. The only other woodpigeon were one that came in and was missed and about 6 others about 200 to 1/2 mile away.

That was enough for us both and we decided to pack it in, sooooo what is your criteria ??

depends, sometimes nice to just sit have a cuppa,listen and watch nature doing its thing

i dont have to squeeze the trigger to enjoy myself :blink:

must agree just nice to sit there watching.

no cars, no tele, no radio, just you and nature at its best + no nagging mrs cjw :hmm:

FANTASTIC

its a bit easier for us air gunner to just pick up your rilfe and move, but if you spend ages setting up your deeks and hides, that would be a ******. i leave when its too dark as my eyes are not that great at night. i end up shooting tufts of grass :blink:

its a bit easier for us air gunner to just pick up your rilfe and move, but if you spend ages setting up your deeks and hides, that would be a ******. i leave when its too dark as my eyes are not that great at night. i end up shooting tufts of grass :blink:

You need to eat more carrots then-

Tufts of grass are protected

its a bit easier for us air gunner to just pick up your rilfe and move, but if you spend ages setting up your deeks and hides, that would be a ******. i leave when its too dark as my eyes are not that great at night. i end up shooting tufts of grass :hmm:

You need to eat more carrots then-

Tufts of grass are protected

think you mean the greater spotted tufts? the normal ones are fine :blink:

Lucky Jim told me that the forecast today was for overcast skies (right) and a nice breeze (wrong) so the pigeon weren`t playing ball, we shot 3 woodpigeon 5 ferals and a rabbit and left after 3hrs. The only other woodpigeon were one that came in and was missed and about 6 others about 200 to 1/2 mile away.

That was enough for us both and we decided to pack it in, sooooo what is your criteria ??

It's a thing called fieldcraft :blink: if you do your homework and watch the fields :hmm: you should get shooting :sick:

depends, sometimes nice to just sit have a cuppa,listen and watch nature doing its thing

i dont have to squeeze the trigger to enjoy myself :lol:

Same here, :hmm: Its nice to just chill out and listen to the skylarks and watch the swallows darting about catching insects, then I tend to start daydreaming about what guns ,cars, boats and houses I would buy if I won the lottery . . . . ahhhh what pleasant thoughts, then I like to stand up and stretch my legs looking around the skies to make sure that nothing is coming in. Then as I place my gun against the hide and stand up...... a handful of bloody pigeons leap out of my decoys !!!!!!! :( ;) :blink: :sick:

It's a thing called fieldcraft :blink: if you do your homework and watch the fields :hmm: you should get shooting :sick:

It was a rhetorical question, Jim doesn`t get to pick his days off and so we try to get out when our days off coincide and as such today was a waste of time except for the fact that it showed the farmer we were willing to try and defend his hard earned dosh.

Jim is my eyes and ears when I can`t be up in the farm areas as he works thereabouts. We know our flightlines and roost areas/sitty trees and what is in every field for 15 - 20 sq miles and have worked on it for 15 years or so, however when birds are not flighting due to air pressure/nesting/feeding/shooting pressure etc. then you are on to a no win situation and we knew it from minute one, but as I say we can`t pick days when we can shoot together but other times we can and it goes well, I just wanted to ask what other people had as there criteria.

hot101.jpg

It often depends on if I have spare time. If its quiet and I have lots of work to do (as usual) I will call it a day earlier than normal. If (on the off-chance) I have all the spare time one could wisk for I'll often sit it out and soak in the nice surroundings (more so in the summer), jusy hoping to let off my S/S one more time.......... :blink:

Si

Edited by Si-Bore

1, if there are no birds its an early bath

2, if there are some birds we will stick it out, untill the birds stop comiting to the deeks

3, if we pack the stove, and lanber cooks the bacon and egg batches, ide stay there all night, so i could get me brekfast in the morning :blink: :hmm::sick:

Edited by blackthorn

It's a thing called fieldcraft :good: if you do your homework and watch the fields :sly: you should get shooting :yes:

It was a rhetorical question, Jim doesn`t get to pick his days off and so we try to get out when our days off coincide and as such today was a waste of time except for the fact that it showed the farmer we were willing to try and defend his hard earned dosh.

Jim is my eyes and ears when I can`t be up in the farm areas as he works thereabouts. We know our flightlines and roost areas/sitty trees and what is in every field for 15 - 20 sq miles and have worked on it for 15 years or so, however when birds are not flighting due to air pressure/nesting/feeding/shooting pressure etc. then you are on to a no win situation and we knew it from minute one, but as I say we can`t pick days when we can shoot together but other times we can and it goes well, I just wanted to ask what other people had as there criteria.

hot101.jpg

And I think i gave a perfectly good/presentable answer :hmm: There are very few of us that can choose our days off me included so that is the way i do things.i suppose i'm lucky in my job as i travel around all day and it's local(15-20 mile radius) but i still cant get to remember whats in every field thats took me a mere 25+years to acquire and keep hold of(you cant be everywhere at once sort of thing!!!) you asked for answers and criteria!! i gave my humble opinion :good:

Thanks Phil.

ps nice picture just a pity it was taken soooo long ago!!! it's not a numbers game it's being there that counts.

Edited by farmer

I just shoot when I have time. If it's not raining I'll go out and wander about. I don't often use decoys and prefer to walk the land to see whick flightline seems to be getting the most use on the day. I'll then sit behind a bush and watch the birds approaching, and whatever I shoot gets placed as a decoy. If I'm having a good day and it's cold I'll leave the first ones shot out all day as deeks, but if it's warmer they get a half hour shift then I move them into the shade and replace them with a newly shot bird so they don't go off. :good:

I enjoy the walk, the same as I do when I (rarely) go fishing these days. As soon as huge bags of kit are put into the package I'm not interested, and all my shooting stuff is in a 25l rucksack (gloves, knife, shells, face veil etc). You don't need a big hide and loads of plastic birds to get a bag, and to shoot a Pigeon that has no intention of stopping near you presents quite a challenge at 50 odd mph :good:

It's a thing called fieldcraft :good: if you do your homework and watch the fields :good: you should get shooting :sly:

Henry-2.jpg

Blooming Hell Henry is that how many woodies you get up there, must be millions of them.

good shooting

Edited by dustyfox

If the developing weather conditions make it a total waste of time, I will pack up and go and do something else.

If its just a slow day, I will either tough it out, or go and look elsewhere for the birds.

Thats pretty much my ethos.

Does **** you off when you have gone to the trouble of making a great hide though.