Switching from O/U to s/s.

I think the latest Sporting Gun mentions just this (black puppy on the front, sorry can't remember the month :good:). Can't help myself as i haven't read it all or ever shot an s/s either. No doubt someone who knows ******* everything but hasn't shot one either will be along shortly to show you how it's done. :good:

I know a few that have done this because the SBS suits better to the

shoots they get invited to,and thier kills/scores have gone down,most

of them have had to get lessons after changing and a fit making it a very

expensive option,the best thing to do would be to try a few first without

buying them as the guns are totally different,my son can use both but

he started with a SBS and also uses an o/u trap gun.I like to use them

but after years of pratice my scores still suffer,on the other hand a friends

wife has just changed and is doing ok she prefers the straighter stock

lighter gun wider barrel view and ease of swing.Asked my son and he

says dead easy just blank out what you shoot with the SBS and keep

your head down on the stock?yeah right clever sod.I would try before

spending and see if it suits. :good:

biggest problem you will find is getting one with a long stock. most sbs are short on length.

i have always found that the comb height is higher slightly, probably to ease the driven pheasants.

get a leather sleeve to stop yourself burning your fingers and shoot as normal. :good:

I have always shot s/s from the age of about 12. Because of that im used to them but i can use o/u aswell and get about the same hit ratio, probably less with a o/u. If you do decide to go for a s/s get one with a double trigger. Cheap as chips too £100 should get you a nice enough AYA Yeoman which are very reliable. PM me if you want some more advice.

I dont have an o/u any more. Not a good shot by a long chalk but love the sbs and can see why they reigned for so long,being a rough shooter. Lovely and light and to me just feel better. I prefer the raised rib type sbs and my AYA Matador has just that. The sight plain is not much different from an o/u and unlike with a concave rib the target is clearly seen. There will be one out there that suits you. My dream gun would be a Winchester 23. Beatingis best the man to talk to re the sbs. Go for it :good:

I did a lot of looking about at S/S's and most of them were lower had too much drop for me and made me shoot low or have to rearrange my head position so make sure you try it out first - especially if your used to modern O/U's. I terms of the sight plane theoreticaly there is little difference its just a wee bit wider on a S/S but I think it makes it a little less obvious when you apply lead and how much you give it. I shot well with one but I had to make lots of stock adjustments and a cheek pad.

Good luck

Si

my advice would be to have a play with a s/s which is sporterised. Pistol grip, single trigger, good pull, raised or semi churchill rib. Will seem alot like an o/u.

Get used to that and then shooting a double triggered straight hand stocked s/s with no rib will still be like shooting off the wrong shoulder.

Nice guns to look at, like H i found the view from the drivers seat distracting and not helpfull for clays.

I have only ever shot Side by Sides and I have shot one for so long I don't even realize that there is two trigger and personally I think that they look so much better on the shooting field.

Sweepy

Once you get used to it you dont even think about switching to the second trigger, the times i have pulled the first trigger twice can be counted on one hand :lol:

I borrowed an aya last season for a couple of driven days, and shot really well with it!

My opinion, get one that fits, and do not think about it to much, second trigger just became natural after a few drives, i would like to add one to the collection next year, silver hawk or an AYA.

I've always used an O/U or semi for clays/sporting, but I picked up an AYA Yeoman yesterday and took it for 25 sporting clays. First time out with the Side By Side and I managed 23/25... probably better than I would normally shoot with my regular gun!

Looks nice walking around with a SBS for some reason!

I've always used an O/U or semi for clays/sporting, but I picked up an AYA Yeoman yesterday and took it for 25 sporting clays. First time out with the Side By Side and I managed 23/25... probably better than I would normally shoot with my regular gun!

Looks nice walking around with a SBS for some reason!

I agree. I love my AYA.