New Dog

lurcherboy

Update.

Went out at 11-00 for a walkabout. Shot three Pheasent and sent Ben in.

No problems, although one took nearly 10 mins to recover, but I left him to it and it was in a rather thick spinney.

Decoying tommorrow up 'til opening time and will post progress.

LB :)

Mad, I recieve the paperwork next w/end as that will be my two week approval period up. Going to the vet on wednesday for check-up and if she is happy I pay up on Sunday.

Thought this would be better for me Mad, don't think I have the time or experience to handle a Springer yet, but will try one in 2-3 years.

Got him from Steve Wanstall, Bridge nr Canterbury. His name kept coming up in conversations and although he is a Springer man he does litters of Labs occasionally.

Sunday: he fell asleep in the sit position as the pigeons were very, very slow. I cracked up when I turned around and saw him sitting and snoring. :):D:D

LB :thumbs:

Mad Springer,

I took him to his first pheasent shoot on Saturday. I met all the regulars and 3 newbies, like me.

The Captain us our instructions and explicit orders to keep dogs under control. With that we all proceeded to the first drive.

The whistle sounded and 2 or 3 minutes later a Hare came through the line. Ben went off like a Lurcher, I managed to call him back, then firmly anchored him down. I could have died of embarrasment and believe me, no-one can embarras me, well, except Ben.

2nd drive, in a flanking position with lots of birds escaping, shot 4 and he collected all. Nice one son I thought to myself. With that he then proceeded to eat a hen!!

3rd drive, have him anchored at my back. Shot six birds and when the whistle went up I loaded my gun back in the slip, looked around with a view to sending Ben out, and found he had pre-empted my thoughts.

He had pulled free and with slip lead and anchor he collected all the birds. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

The other shots thought it was funny, I didn't.

There is a lot more to tell, but I dont want to be reminded of it, so I wont.

On the plus side, I did win the Pool for the amount of shot birds, but the round in the pub came to more than my winnings :thumbs:

Met some nice people too and have already secured a bit of airrifle for rabbits and its local.

LB :*)

Sunday: he fell asleep in the sit position as the pigeons were very, very slow. I cracked up when I turned around and saw him sitting and snoring. :):lol::lol:

LB :)

Glad to see that you can bore canines to sleep as well as humans. :lol::D

I am happy to hear that hes keeping you on you toes.

Jim

LB,

is it your first gundog or have you had a few?

Chuffed to bits for you mate on your first pheasant drive with Ben, sounds like you both had lots of fun and the crazy thing is, when he went tear arseing after that hare he will have thinking I bet LB will be well happy if I nail this one.

I too have just had my first pheasant drive with Amber and we had a ball of fun, I'm really suprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Just watching them work gets the blood flowing for me, thats the best day Ive had out with a dog that never caught nothing in its jaws.

Hope you have another one soon.

Can you believe that there are antis out there that think we dont care about animals. Wow they are so blinkered to what we are about.

PM

Yes PM,

It is my first gundog. Despite my slagging him off and his attempts to ' bond' with my lurchers by bringing home a bloody hare, I love him to bits.

Unfortunetly, its the idiot on the other end of the lead thats in the wrong.

If doing a formal, your dog either picks up or flushes, and there in lies my problem :P:D:D

LB :P