basc... yes/no

myzeneye

some people have different opinions on basc membership...

are you a member? if so, have you ever had to use their services.... have you ever needed their help and been let down?

if your not a member, why not?

i see the obvious benefits of being a member... is it a nescessity ? whats your opinion?

I am in basc and CA.They both have their faults,like basc selling out on the fox hunting ban and the CA only getting involved with shooting for the cash from membership. At the end of the day they both TRY and stand up for what i believe in,basc for shooting and the CA for all the other things what make our countryside what it is.A £100 a year between them a year is not going to break the bank is it?

i guess my question was more orientated at the insurance side of the deal, which i believe is only a small part of the cost.... i guess just through shear laziness, im not the sort of person to read through the ins and outs of the policy, but for obvious reasons agree everyone should have cover..... but i am the sort of person to get peeved at lousy clauses in the policy... like its been mentioned about acidentally shooting a cow for example and not being covered etc....

i can see that they fight the corner for the shooter in the political world and thats obviously a much needed allie in todays p.c world....

i can also see the leverage on secureing land with havng huge cover etc....

im not having a go at them, and will more than likely sign up, but im just curios what i get for my money being a potential 1st time member....

I am a member and I have never had to use their insurance. But I am very happy to pay my subscription because I know that without BASC (and WAGBI before them) none of us would have anywhere to shoot, anything to shoot at and no guns to shoot with - unless we were millionaire landowners or belonged to the aristocracy. I have also had very valuable amateur gamekeeping advice from them and they saved my FAC when the police got awkward over an open certificate. So thumbs up all the way.

Jim

some people have different opinions on basc membership...

are you a member? Yesif so, have you ever had to use their servicesYes.... have you ever needed their help and been let down?No

if your not a member, why not?

i see the obvious benefits of being a member... is it a nescessity ? No, but I wouldn`t be without it!!whats your opinion?

Done loads of times on here, but I'm a member:

1. Insurance.

2. Support shooting, large and experienced organisation. Maybe not perfect, but probably better than any of the other organisations in this respect.

3. Never needed help/advice, but you never know so just in case.

Robert

Not a member of any shooting organisation and have never needed to be.

Harry

I don't suppose that you need car insurance either,..... unless you have an accident, but it's a bit too late then isn't it?

Has anyone here ever had to claim on their shooting insurance for a mistake they have made?

Car insurance is a completly different thing to shooting insurance.

Harry

BASC was the first organisation that I heard of and I subscribed purely for insurance back in the days when I was shooting airguns. Since then, I have made many calls to several different departments for a variety of reasons, all mostly for fact finding and law guidance. Thus far I have never been let down and have found them to be very helpful indeed. Though I now know of many other organisations or insurance policies, I would never cancel my BASC membership to switch. If I were to join another, it would be in addition.

It has been done to death already, so has saying 'it has been done to death already' <_< but they do for me.

Insurance is one thing, but that can be obtained elsewhere, for me it is the belonging to a recognised organisation.

Add to that the fact the last permission I landed insisted on seeing, and holding a photocopy of my membership card - so they are recognised.

Being a member can book targets at Bisley which save me having to join the NRA or a rifle club and they arrange range days like the one I will be going to on Thursday :oops:

I've probebly quoted these two examples before but I know two people who were very glad of the third party BASC insurance.

Without going into details one guy was sharing a pigeon hide and shot his mates fingers off. The other chap had a 'negligent discharge' and shot a beaters dog (the dog survived but lost a leg). The second case was the more recent and I know both parties were very pleased with the service (and pay out) from the insurance company.