my red letter day

stokie

post-3746-1216159063.jpg

Yesterday evening Stokeshooter and myself went out to do a recce on some fields I have permission on . It turned out to be the best recce ever in 1 1/4 hours we had got 39 birds in the bag. They decoyed perfectly . We were decoying over laid barley . The only down sides were that the flat patch we were shooting on was 35 yards out so it left us some pretty distant shots in excess of that. Also that there is a road to one side of the field and the motorway to the other, meaning that we can only safely shoot straight down the field . Kev couldnt make it today. So I went with another lad who`s spaniel did some picking up .I set up with a rotory and 3 bouncers and a flapper in the center which proved to be worth its weight in gold as most of the birds tried to land very close to it. Along with 10 dead birds from last night and twenty shell decoys. Total birds on the clicker was 211 with 109 collected in that picture . We lost a lot of birds due to the tall crop and the inexperience of the dog .But to be fair she picked up very very well for an 11 month old . The farmer kept coming for a natter now and again. One time we told him how well we were doing and that we were getting low on cartridges. Twenty minutes later he was back with a few boxes for us. It was my best ever day on the woodies and one I will remember for a long time to come.

The best news ever is that whilst we were having in cracking time on the flat patches the farmers son was out with the combine on a neighbouring field . So with that many pigeons in the area we will be looking forward to some more fantastic days ahead.

Kev and Den sorry you missed it guys

Staffs shooter thanks for sending them north :P:good:

Lovely bag stokie you should be well proud of that :good: I had similar bag a few weeks ago but didnt have the springer with me to retrieve them in the tall barley so i lost a good few :good: I would be a bit worried about my dogs hearing with so many repeated shots in close proximity to the dog anyone know would the dog be ok?

• 6 months later...